All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

SOTM July 2017 -'And now for something completely different'

rhysonsax

Locality
Surrey, UK
One of my favourite Latin songs is Luis Bonfa's "Manha De Carnaval" a.k.a. "A Day in the Life of a Fool" a.k.a. "Black Orpheus".

I haven't seen the 1959 film Orfeu Negro from which this theme comes, but I have heard good things about it. I can only apologise to the director, to Luis Bonfa and to Jim Tomlinson whose version I love.

Manha De Carnaval - Rhys tenor V2.wav - Box

Rhys

mrpeebee

Locality
The Netherlands
Current TOTM on SOTW is 'What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?', which is according to Wikipedia a song written by Michel Legrand for the 1969 film The Happy Ending, so I thought it might fit this thread too.

My band is on summer stop so I didn't play for some weeks. Got about 20 minutes to learn, play and record this song and since my reading isn't very good either I had to fake some parts. Here is my quick and dirty take:

- 'What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
SoundClick

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
One of my favourite Latin songs is Luis Bonfa's "Manha De Carnaval" a.k.a. "A Day in the Life of a Fool" a.k.a. "Black Orpheus".

I haven't seen the 1959 film Orfeu Negro from which this theme comes, but I have heard good things about it. I can only apologise to the director, to Luis Bonfa and to Jim Tomlinson whose version I love.

Manha De Carnaval - Rhys tenor V2.wav - Box

Rhys
Also known as Carnival and Black Orpheus.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Current TOTM on SOTW is 'What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?', which is according to Wikipedia a song written by Michel Legrand for the 1969 film The Happy Ending, so I thought it might fit this thread too.

My band is on summer stop so I didn't play for some weeks. Got about 20 minutes to learn, play and record this song and since my reading isn't very good either I had to fake some parts. Here is my quick and dirty take:

- 'What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
SoundClick
Lovely lyrics to this one too. It's been on my to do list for....ages

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
I've been waiting for someone to post this to no avail. I'd never done it before but found a backing and was surprised how difficult it was. Running ahead lagging behind and a screw up in the middle this is the best I've come up with so far in a single take.

JazzMatt

Account Closed
I've been waiting for someone to post this to no avail. I'd never done it before but found a backing and was surprised how difficult it was. Running ahead lagging behind and a screw up in the middle this is the best I've come up with so far in a single take.

Wow, a much better version than I can muster. It scares me, that tune - I had a well meaning relative buy me a book with it in when i'd been playing for 4 months, had a go, failed badly and not touched it since! I regularly open the book, look at it, shake my head and play some Miles Davis instead!

Kudos!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Locality
KIC 8462852
It's strange how Boots Randolph, the composer, is completely forgotten because a second rate comedian used it for his prime time Tv show.
Not exactly 'completely forgotten' if you search the café you'll find he has been mentioned a few times.
If you put his name into google it would appear a few other people remember him as well.

AlanT

Locality
Mechanic Falls, Maine
Great job AL! It's a tune I've tried several times but it just doesn't seem to come to me. One of my favorite versions is on Studio Jams:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPOSoSJ3NTs
...it's amazing how pros just say "Let's do this tune" and after a little discussion are off in minutes with a kick-butt version like that! :)

Tiberius

Locality
England
We seem to have morphed a little from film themes to film music, but rules in music are I guess meant to be fluid :)

So...I had another go at this, not played it for months, took me a couple of goes to get back into it. Still trying to just keep up and not deteriorate too much tbh.

City of Stars170827.mp3 - Box

In addition to overseeing the final bits of the building work, I'm also now packing for SCUBA diving in Egypt from next Friday, will be deaf for a few days after that, so early September is pretty much out for me as far a playing goes...however, new studio should be completed by then, so I'm looking forward to the Autumn. Talking of which, I'll make an early suggestion for the Theme of the Month for October as 'Autumn'. Mostly as I probably won't be playing much before then neway.

AlanT

Locality
Mechanic Falls, Maine
Sung by Gene Autry for the opening and closing credits of the 1949 movie, which he also starred in titled 'Riders in the Sky' it was also used in the film 'Three Businessmen' where it was sung by Debbie Harry:

https://soundcloud.com/the-a-train-1%2Fghost-riders-in-the-sky View: https://soundcloud.com/the-a-train-1/ghost-riders-in-the-sky

Did this for what would have been my Dad's 81st birthday today.(He passed in April) He had a painting of the 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' scene and would sing along with the tune. I found a two-verse version (there are four verses) in my BIAB County folder, fiddled with it for a bit to get it under the fingers (it moves fast) then hit record as a tribute to him. A little more reverb than normal added for effect.

Last edited:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Sung by Gene Autry for the opening and closing credits of the 1949 movie, which he also starred in titled 'Riders in the Sky' it was also used in the film 'Three Businessmen' where it was sung by Debbie Harry:

https://soundcloud.com/the-a-train-1%2Fghost-riders-in-the-sky View: https://soundcloud.com/the-a-train-1/ghost-riders-in-the-sky

Did this for what would have been my Dad's 81st birthday today.(He passed in April) He had a painting of the 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' scene and would sing along with the tune. I found a two-verse version (there are four verses) in my BIAB County folder, fiddled with it for a bit to get it under the fingers (it moves fast) then hit record as a tribute to him. A little more reverb than normal added for effect.
What a lovely tribute to your dad, love that tune and loved your tone on it :)

Jx

AlanT

Locality
Mechanic Falls, Maine
I did think of doing a longer version, the tune was a blast to play! Thanks Jeanette, glad you liked it and I love the tone I get from my Robusto 9!

OP
Chris

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
Well guys doesn't time fly when you're having fun:) The past couple of months seem to a have gone so quick.
Lots of great songs posted, :).

No-one has PM'd me re next month, but don't worry I've got something lined up. >:)

Chris..:)

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

No members online now.
  • Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    luismaciel
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom