All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Wikifonia - is down; but is it "out"?

photoman

Daydream Believer
Locality
County Limerick Ireland
Did find this one as way of a small compensation though. Not jazz, but it might be useful.

Scanned copies of scores often annotated in pencil - looks a bit dubious to me and surely can't be legal. Also some of the few links I tried didn't work at all.

In sympathy with England Cricket Team?

If at first a bad joke doesn't get any laughs, try, try again (see post #23).

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Scanned copies of scores often annotated in pencil - looks a bit dubious to me and surely can't be legal. Also some of the few links I tried didn't work at all.

Didn't find any pencil annotations on the sheets I looked at, all the links on the right hand side seem to work allbeit to classical music sites. As for the legality??? I just put the link up as a example. I guess guys can use google if they want something. The legality of 'Wiki', it has always had a ??? with it..

musicnotes
sheetmusicplus
musicroom
sheetmusicdirect
onlinesheetmusic
Musicexchange

All SELL sheet music..

AS an after thought to this, there are sofware programs you can buy that can handle midi files and sort out notation/chords for you. Example BiaB, I just found 64,000 midi files that might come in handy if I need the dots for something also 1500 BiaB files all jazz stds.

Chris..

photoman

Daydream Believer
Locality
County Limerick Ireland
Didn't find any pencil annotations on the sheets I looked at, all the links on the right hand side seem to work allbeit to classical music sites. As for the legality??? I just put the link up as a example. I guess guys can use google if they want something. The legality of 'Wiki', it has always had a ??? with it.

It's certainly a link I hadn't heard of - and that's always a good thing. But I looked at only 5 or 6 scores and 2 wouldn't open and at least 2 of them have pencil marks on them.
See the first, second, third and fifth sheets here.

Wikifonia was as legal as it could be apparently - because it had some sort of license to share the music. Perhaps it's come down because the licensing isn't as "solid" as it should have been?

Last edited:

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
It's certainly a link I hadn't heard of - and that's always a good thing. But I looked at only 5 or 6 scores and 2 wouldn't open and at least 2 of them have pencil marks on them.
See the first, second, third and fifth sheets here.

:confused: But it's FREE:confused:

I can't see what the problem is, a few pencil marks doesn't stop you playing it. If it was a crumpled £10 note it still spends;)
Like I said in an earlier post I hate to think of all the handwritten sheets that guys had to use before the internet etc.

Chris..

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
If it's a scan of printed music which is still subject to copyright, then it's illegal.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I was told that copyright only covers printing. If you want to write out a piece by hand that's fine. But you can't print your hand written copy.

photoman

Daydream Believer
Locality
County Limerick Ireland
I was told that copyright only covers printing. If you want to write out a piece by hand that's fine. But you can't print your hand written copy.

Nope. Copyright covers the use of intellectual property in all forms. So basically, any perfomance, recording, or other unauthorised copying of that property is illegal - and generally permission has to be given for its use and/or that use should be paid for - as happens when you buy sheet music or pay for recording rights and even - as should technically happen - pay for permission to play music in a public place; either live or a recorded version of it.

It's a subject close to my heart as I am someone whose living depends on their intellectual property not being used without permission and paid for when it is used.

At least 2 large organisations know what I do when they try that on. Ironically, it's an anagram of "use".

This website covers music copyright a bit more:

http://musiced.nafme.org/resources/copyright-center/copyright-law-what-music-teachers-need-to-know/

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I've had to delete a couple of posts before restoring this thread.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom