supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces
Grassi Saxophones

Saxophones Grassi Saxophones

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
[QUOTE = "MMM, post: 161394, membre: 465"] Je pense que ce qui fait baisser le saxophone Grassi, c'est que vous trouverez rarement un puits et ajusté, parce qu'ils ne sont pas très considérés (en Italie si ce n'est pas un Selmer ça ne vaut rien!), les gens sont réticents à dépenser de l'argent pour eux. J'ai ramassé mon alto "Wonderful" et il a toujours ses coussinets d'origine (40 ans plus tard), une fois révisé ce sera vraiment très sympa. Ils sont si rares: le tien fait seulement le troisième ténor merveilleuse que j'ai jamais vu pour la vente!
Profitez et gardez le Café à jour sur ses progrès!
Manlio [/ QUOTE]
Bonjour, qui peut m'aider à identifier un Grassi avec photos S'il vous plait
Seulement anglais SVP.

Perhaps one of our french members can help with a better translation than I can manage. @Chilli @saxyjt perhaps?

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I'm guessing Silk is using a full page translator app and the quoted bit is a translation of one of MMM's posts on page 1.

Silk's reply is that he/she is about to buy a Grassi and is wondering if anyone could identify which model it is via pictures.

Chilli

Barista
This is obviously a Google translation into French. Not a good one, if you ask.
The last sentence is as Dave translated above: "who can help identifying a Grassi with pictures."
Weird

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
That's an interesting thing to do, isn't it? Use Google translate on a quote and post a question without using it... :eek:

I wonder who's trying to communicate with whom here?

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Here we go everyone. Copied from the thread Bonjour, besoin d'aide s'il vous plait :)

Good evening, I'm not looking for photos but I saw in resources and notice that someone had done a whole page on Grassi saxophone. Apparently there is a way to identify them. I am about to buy a viola Grassi but I only have photos .... Can the person who published this page with identification numbers can help me if I show him the photos? cordially

OP
MMM

MMM

[QUOTE = "MMM, post: 161394, membre: 465"] Je pense que ce qui fait baisser le saxophone Grassi, c'est que vous trouverez rarement un puits et ajusté, parce qu'ils ne sont pas très considérés (en Italie si ce n'est pas un Selmer ça ne vaut rien!), les gens sont réticents à dépenser de l'argent pour eux. J'ai ramassé mon alto "Wonderful" et il a toujours ses coussinets d'origine (40 ans plus tard), une fois révisé ce sera vraiment très sympa. Ils sont si rares: le tien fait seulement le troisième ténor merveilleuse que j'ai jamais vu pour la vente!
Profitez et gardez le Café à jour sur ses progrès!
Manlio [/ QUOTE]
Bonjour, qui peut m'aider à identifier un Grassi avec photos S'il vous plait
Hi @Silk0412 , yes just post some photos and myself or others on the forum should be able to help.
Cheers, M

Ju71240

Hello. I bought a soprano IDAGRASSI (made in Italy) : Number : 32773
I have fun with it. It was quite difficult at the beginning, but now, I really have fun.

Tomasz

I have a Grassi "Professional 2000" alto. It's one of dozens of alto horns in my collection, so doesn't get played much. It dates from the late 1980s and (visually at least) is a clone of the Selmer Mk VI alto. To be honest, I don't think it's quite the same "sonically" or in terms of build quality, but it's still a very decent sax in its own right - and for the price I paid I really couldn't say no. I'm saving it as a present for my daughter, when she's old enough to fully understand/appreciate what it represents, and treat the instrument with appropriate respect. Although the Grassi isn't my favourite alto (which is a matter of personal preference in any case) it's definitely a professional-grade instrument.

Here's a little present for you i.e. video footage of the now-defunct Grassi factory in Quarna Sotto, Northern Italy. Sadly, Signora Ida Maria Grassi (the owner) was getting too old to continue and none of her relatives wanted to pick up the ball and run with it. So, she shut everything down. The factory is now an empty shell. All a bit sad, really.

AFAIK the former Grassi atelier is going to be converted into a museum/community centre. I suppose that's something. The idea of good-quality saxophone factories shutting down really does fill my heart with melancholy, so don't get me started re. Eduard Beaugnier et Cie in Mantes la Jolie (RIP), never mind the Conn, Buescher & Martin factories in Elkhart, Indiana which are long gone.

Watch this, and consider what has been lost forever. Look at the broken windows. Look how small the factory is...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Watch this, and consider what has been lost forever. Look at the broken windows. Look how small the factory is...
I must admit that Rampone & Cazzani (that might have some of the Grassi tooling) have done a remarkable job in trying to keep the Quarna tradition going.

Johadel

FYI: I just picked up a Grassi "Jade Roller" alto, SN: 24566. This is somewhat lower than you listed at the end of your article. Nice horn! Scale is pretty good and it blows very freely. The feel of the action is very similar to my SML "Gold Medal" alto.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
FYI: I just picked up a Grassi "Jade Roller" alto, SN: 24566. This is somewhat lower than you listed at the end of your article. Nice horn! Scale is pretty good and it blows very freely. The feel of the action is very similar to my SML "Gold Medal" alto.
I refurb a lotta Jades...very underappreciated horns, typically very reasonably priced. I love 'em.

As an aside, that video that Tomasz posted almost made me cry, quite honestly....

Hello,
I'm trying to buy a saxophone and I found one being sold second hand as a grassi prestige.
However, it doesn't have the brand logo engraved in it, but only those circular leaves with "Prestige" written inside. Is this a real grassi prestige or a "fake" one?
Thank you very much for the help

OP
MMM

MMM

Hello,
I'm trying to buy a saxophone and I found one being sold second hand as a grassi prestige.
However, it doesn't have the brand logo engraved in it, but only those circular leaves with "Prestige" written inside. Is this a real grassi prestige or a "fake" one?
It doesn’t sound like a Grassi: the Bell should have the Grassi logo engraved on it, the name “Prestige” should be engraved on the back of the body below the thumb hook.
If it has any printed logos, it is either a new Grassi or not a Grassi at all.
Cheers M.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Hello,
Do you have a photo ? That will tell all....as MMM says, typically 'real' Grassis (the ones made in Italy) will have Grassi and "Italy" engraved on 'em. Vintage, true Prestiges are excellent saxes.

To post a photo, just click on the photo icon in the menu bar above the reply window.

Hassles

I have a jade roller alto in fabulous condition. Plays well and blows freely very much like the much underrated Conn Director (aka Shooting Stars) and er um, sounds just as good if perhaps a tad brighter. I have a very much beat-up heavy Grassi tenor, ergos not so fabulous but capable of very nice tone a touch on the dark side with a decently chambered piece. If you ever encounter one just play it if you can. Keep that ol' yamaha 4c in the glove compartment of the car along with a ligature and some cork grease just in case you find yourself somewhere where someone has a sax looking for a new home.

Top Bottom