Tutorials
Grassi Saxophones

Saxophones Grassi Saxophones

MMM

MMM published a new article:

Foreword

This guide was compiled mostly out of personal curiosity on these saxes and hopefully it will also serve to all those trying to identify the different models produced by this famous Italian manufacturer.

It is somewhat peculiar that although Grassi was one of the largest...
Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Fantastic, let us know what you think... I nearly went for that too!
The pads weren't quite as good as I thought, a couple were ripped/worn so the setup is going to be over £100. There was a bit of readjustment of octave mech and G#, possibly due to transit trauma. But I could tell it's an A1 stonker of a horn!

Possibly a bit of a luxury for me what with the Rampone and Conn tenors, plus now that I just bought a SBA alto. Not like me to have so much GAS!

OP
MMM

MMM

I think that what lets the Grassi saxes down is that you will seldom find one well setup and adjusted, because they are not highly regarded (in Italy if it's not a Selmer it's worthless!), people are reluctant to spend any money on them. I picked up my "Wonderful" alto and it still has it's original pads (40 years on), once overhauled it will be very nice indeed. They are so rare: yours makes only the third Wonderful tenor I've ever seen for sale!
Enjoy and keep the Cafe updated on its progress!
Manlio

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
I think that what lets the Grassi saxes down is that you will seldom find one well setup and adjusted, because they are not highly regarded (in Italy if it's not a Selmer it's worthless!), people are reluctant to spend any money on them. I picked up my "Wonderful" alto and it still has it's original pads (40 years on), once overhauled it will be very nice indeed. They are so rare: yours makes only the third Wonderful tenor I've ever seen for sale!
Enjoy and keep the Cafe updated on its progress!
Manlio
Will do, it's in good hands at the moment, over with Stephen Howard who is going to do a review of it

Greg Strange

The pads weren't quite as good as I thought, a couple were ripped/worn so the setup is going to be over £100. There was a bit of readjustment of octave mech and G#, possibly due to transit trauma. But I could tell it's an A1 stonker of a horn!

Possibly a bit of a luxury for me what with the Rampone and Conn tenors, plus now that I just bought a SBA alto. Not like me to have so much GAS!
Looks like the old Beuscher T & C 400 alto is getting the heave ho as well Pete?

Greg S

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
How much does a typical "Wonderful" cost?
I was talking to Stephen Howard, he was thinking they would be about £500 - £750 in good nick, but based on how good they are the price should be at the top end of that plus.

IMO they are the sort of horn like SML used to be, people would turn their noses up at them until they actually tried one. The build quailty is, er "Italian" if you know what I mean.

Mind you, it seems most of the other Grassi models are not so good, but @MMM and @milandro would know more.

ProfJames

Elementary member
At the moment MMM I have my eyes on a couple of other horns. However I love Italian design and style. Maybe one day but that will be after Mr Howard's review. Keep us informed Pete, it sounds like a great project

Ads

Steve's got a few reviews pending (the YAS62 MkIII and TJ RAW XS Alto) which have been pending for months so I`d not worry about timescale, the Grassi review maybe up by Christmas :rolleyes: .. I love to read his reviews too but if he`s got horns to fettle then all the better for him (and the Horns !!) . I need to get the Silver-Lady 62 over there at some stage for a service, it`s getting on for a year old (4 Months with Davey, 6 months with me)

Greg Strange

Steve's got a few reviews pending (the YAS62 MkIII and TJ RAW XS Alto) which have been pending for months so I`d not worry about timescale, the Grassi review maybe up by Christmas :rolleyes: .. I love to read his reviews too but if he`s got horns to fettle then all the better for him (and the Horns !!) . I need to get the Silver-Lady 62 over there at some stage for a service, it`s getting on for a year old (4 Months with Davey, 6 months with me)
I've noticed Steve hasn't updated his web-site for over a year - I thought he may be working on a secret project like the Haynes Flute Manual perhaps...
:headscratch:

Greg S.

Ads

I've noticed Steve hasn't updated his web-site for over a year - I thought he may be working on a secret project like the Haynes Flute Manual perhaps...
Been Fixing Horns probably - no doubt Jericho ones from SMS take up a lot of time ... He was after doing the review on the YAS62 Mk3 5 months ago and the RAW XS Alto about the same time , neither have appeared yet so don`t holdya breath on a Grassi review appearing in the near future (It`s less important a review than a horn you can actually walk, into a shop and Buy like a Yam-Mk3 or a TJ RAW XS) ........ he`s got his priorities right IMO, keeping horns on the road is far more important .

Ads

Interesting combination - a modern Asian sax neck on a vintage American horn, - it's good to know you're not ditching the Buescher, the Top Hat and Cane alto always sounded great on your albums.

Greg S.
I think Pete may start a new craze here, Pepping up old Yanks with Chinese necks , Wonder if one will fit the 14M ........ Hmmmmm

Top Bottom