All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Advice on an I.M. Grassi Tenor....

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
Looking at an Ida Mari Grassi tenor for sale. Truth is I know litle about these saxes but read someone reccomending the model 2000 as being great. Well this is not one of those but a Standard model from 1976. Engraving says Made in Italy, so it's not a later Chinese one. It has the ring style bell to body brace but no jade rollers, high F# or special adjustment screws for the F/F# keys. It's nickel silver in very good condition and the price is 480 pounds. Will someone knowledgeble about these...like @DaveUK perhaps....tell me if that is a good deal, if the horn is any good compared to my Martin Comm III tenor, or compared to tenors in general (what are these like to play....ergos and sound)?

Thanks for the help.

Targa

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
As a wise man said:
The present situation my go on for years. Best to buy the sax now or you'll never get one. After the British variant of the virus will come the Welsh, Scottish, and Irish variants and then those from the Isle of Wight and Jersey. By then you'll all have grown plastic skin and masks and no longer be in danger. Get the horn now, time waits for no wo/man.

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I would have thought your Comm III is better. Ask @MMM too.

A 2000 Professional would stand up better but general opinion is your Martin is still the better horn.

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
I would have thought your Comm III is better. Ask @MMM too.

A 2000 Professional would stand up better but general opinion is your Martin is still the better horn.
Thanks, Duck......you've just dissuaded me from buying a nickel plated tenor simply because the price is right and because they are supposed to be good. At least without A/Bing them. I feel nothing can ever take the place of my Martin, but the desire was not for that but just to get another toy.....you know what that's all about, I know. Meanwhile, I still have my Big B on consignment at Sax-On going nowhere fast and have thought about getting it back until this Viral sales drought ends and the market improves here. When that will be is anyone's guess at the rate they are not going here. It was really an idle thought because if it is anything like a R&C or Borgani in build quality and sound quality it would be worth getting just for the experience.....assuming I could resell it later on. It's a MK VI clone design wise, but I know little about how that translates to playing it or how it sounds. I've never been a Selmer person.... I gravitated to Conns, Bueschers, and Martins right from the get go when I was 21, and they're what I like most sound wise.

MMM

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
Thanks, Duck......you've just dissuaded me from buying a nickel plated tenor simply because the price is right and because they are supposed to be good. At least without A/Bing them. I feel nothing can ever take the place of my Martin, but the desire was not for that but just to get another toy.....you know what that's all about, I know. Meanwhile, I still have my Big B on consignment at Sax-On going nowhere fast and have thought about getting it back until this Viral sales drought ends and the market improves here. When that will be is anyone's guess at the rate they are not going here. It was really an idle thought because if it is anything like a R&C or Borgani in build quality and sound quality it would be worth getting just for the experience.....assuming I could resell it later on. It's a MK VI clone design wise, but I know little about how that translates to playing it or how it sounds. I've never been a Selmer person.... I gravitated to Conns, Bueschers, and Martins right from the get go when I was 21, and they're what I like most sound wise.
I don't believe it is MK6 clone, it "borrows" some cosmetic touches from Selmer (the ring between body and bell, the "G" that looks like an "S" on the octave key, the rounded C/Eb keys touches), that's about it.

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
I don't believe it is MK6 clone, it "borrows" some cosmetic touches from Selmer (the ring between body and bell, the "G" that looks like an "S" on the octave key, the rounded C/Eb keys touches), that's about it.
Thanks, Peter.

JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Looking at an Ida Mari Grassi tenor for sale. Truth is I know litle about these saxes but read someone reccomending the model 2000 as being great. Well this is not one of those but a Standard model from 1976. Engraving says Made in Italy, so it's not a later Chinese one. It has the ring style bell to body brace but no jade rollers, high F# or special adjustment screws for the F/F# keys. It's nickel silver in very good condition and the price is 480 pounds. Will someone knowledgeble about these...like @DaveUK perhaps....tell me if that is a good deal, if the horn is any good compared to my Martin Comm III tenor, or compared to tenors in general (what are these like to play....ergos and sound)?

Thanks for the help.
OK so it is basically a Jade but with black rollers, then ?

Check the pinky table make sure it is the same shape as the Jade's table. If it is, I say giver 'er a whirl...these are good horns, underrated. No, they are not the Professional or Professional 2000's...but knowing your tastes, I think you would like it, actually.

Last edited:
JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
(btw the previous hues of the reply was directed more at @Pete Thomas ...for some reason in my reply window, I had to go searching for my color palette this time....)

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK

Check the pinky table make sure it is the same shape as the Jade's table

You could do word colour matching:

Check the
pinky table to make sure it is the same shape as the Jade's table

JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Indeed, good one....it would have been much better....(I was perturbed at the time and not on top of my game....)

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Here's a jade roller for sale at £400:

131981819 434250174651177 8483060725994230868 n

131982943 844715936322239 9179554675234677671 n

Been on a few months. Had a chat with the seller but didn't spark any interest at that price. He may reduce, but even at £200 I'd pass it by.

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
(btw the previous hues of the reply was directed more at @Pete Thomas ...for some reason in my reply window, I had to go searching for my color palette this time....)
I don't understand... :headscratch:

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain

View attachment 17451
View attachment 17452

Been on a few months. Had a chat with the seller but didn't spark any interest at that price. He may reduce, but even at £200 I'd pass it by.
Seeing as how of the total of 5 rollers in the two pinky tables only 1 appears to be jade green, why is this model called the "Jade" rollers model. The Eb and C are yellow as is the Bb, and the B seems to be black, unless it is a very dark shade of jade. Perhaps they could make a film about this saxophone with a nude woman playing it as she writhes with her lover, "Five Shades Of Jade". Cult following status is guaranteed.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Italian saxes are not so sought after here in Sweden. In USA and UK/England they have a good reputation. They don't go for much money here over.
if the horn is any good compared to my Martin Comm III tenor
No a good "The Martin Tenor" is far better. You can get a good Jupiter 700 serie tenor for the same money as a Grassi. And the Jupiter is better.

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
You'd be better adding another Martin (I know... I'm naughty!), such as this Handcraft:

151494411 259617418870573 128017942791179222 n

150224402 428568301682655 728791454233843171 n 2

150176014 255999982681914 7462825446412934994 n 2

Here's a similar one playing:

View: https://youtu.be/nZ0q0sMLtbQ

Slightly earlier one here (non-original neck):

View: https://youtu.be/KMkQZleG0PA

Seller says: "Windblowers Nottingham serviced and overhauled it 18 months ago. Original case"

;)

Last edited:
JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
I don't understand... :headscratch:
Me neither (?)
Sometimes, at least on my browser, the 'palette' icon does not appear above the reply window...I have to click on the options icon above the window and then the palette is within the options window...
oddly, this only happens sometimes. It causes me a mini heart attack each time, since in the past you have reminded me more than once that you CAN remove the color option if you so choose - so when it is hiding, my first thought is "aaargh - he actually removed it ! "
I will screenshot the condition next time I see it.

No a good "The Martin Tenor" is far better. You can get a good Jupiter 700 serie tenor for the same money as a Grassi. And the Jupiter is better.
This is very debatable. Different kind of horns entirely, with different qualities. If you want a modern, bright-side sounding horn with the standard sorta modern keywork, the Jupe is a good one. I would take a 700 over a Yama 23 any day, it's just a superior sax.

But the Grassis, they just have that classic French-Italian warm, balanced, focused tone...they blow quite differently from a modern Taiwanese horn.
Plus, the ergos/keywork on the standards/Jades, although traditional, are actually quite comfy. So for a player who has a propensity for vintage horns, and wants a Selmer-esque sound, the Grassis have more to offer.

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
@JayeNM - how about jade Grassi vs. Handcraft phase III?

Worth £300 more?

JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US

I disagree, but of course everyone has their opinion. If one could take it for, say, 300 quid, clarify that 'in fair condition' means it doesn't need a full O/H, then can keep the tech costs to around 250-300 quid to get her playing nicely...it's a good deal.

I regularly sell Jade altos here in play shape for $600, Tenors for $800. They sell fairly quickly when I have them, and the new owners are quite happy with their horns.

Last edited:
JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
@JayeNM - how about jade Grassi vs. Handcraft phase III?

Worth £300 more?
Do you mean the one you posted ? Personally I wouldn't pay $1050usd (which is the conversion) for a splitbell Handcraft...when one should be able to find a later same-side bellkey or Handcraft Imperial for that money or a tad less (here).

Horn does look nice, though...it isn't an unreasonable asking price. But the draw of Martin splitbells, if there is any (and on this side of the pond - there is not much really - for most folks their radar doesn't go on until the bell keys are on the same side....) is that one can get a Martin for cheap.
I wouldn't call the asking price cheap.
But again, looks like a nice example of one. And I do realize that old American horns have higher pricetags over there than here.

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
You'd be better adding another Martin (I know... I'm naughty!), such as this Handcraft:

View attachment 17460
View attachment 17461
View attachment 17462

Here's a similar one playing:

View: https://youtu.be/nZ0q0sMLtbQ

Slightly earlier one here (non-original neck):

View: https://youtu.be/KMkQZleG0PA

Seller says: "Windblowers Nottingham serviced and overhauled it 18 months ago. Original case"

;)
David,
I looked at that ad and found it to be listed thusly:

1933 Martin saxophone tenner

Now I'm not sure what he's selling as a tenner in the USA is a $10 bill.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom