support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Arta Guban tenor

I translate articles from German to English on an almost daily basis.
I generally copy and paste one sentence or paragraph at a time into Google translate or something similar.
The German and English languages are in fact very similar in many ways.
However the main problem is that in German the "doing word" aka. verb is almost always at the end of the sentence.
So you have to kind've think backwards.
Sorry but I don't have enough time to do it for you at the moment.
Unless someone else can help try using the above method - you'll get the jist of what it's about.
It's not that difficult but it is time consuming.

Last edited:
Hey there Jaye. Interesting what you write about about the Arta Guban. I would be curious how you compare/contrast the horn to say a German-made horn of similar vintage--in particular a JK or D&J.

I ask b/c a year ago I had the chance to buy/trade Chadd at WWS his personal silver-plated Arta Guban Solo. I had my D&J with me at the time, since I was considering using it as part of a trade for the Olds Super I was buying from him. While there, I played A LOT of other horns, including the AG.

Hi Helen....didn't know you haunt these parts as well. I was actually gonna contact you and would happily email you the pics and my written impressions if you like.

Yes, I would say the horn is definitely of the N. European/German/Czech sort of pedigree. This is why I am really curious about that article Thom provided above...I'd like to know the background story of Anton Braun....

Quite honestly I expected this horn, in the end , to be nothing much - just because although there is very little info available on the 'net, of the limited commentary, most of it was not particularly glowing. But now, in retrospect, as the model seems to have more of a connection to the German-Czech sorta pedigree....it shouldn't have surprised me that it ended up being a respectable and solid player.

Here's a "quick and dirty" translation of the article as a .pdf
It went dark half way through so I went gassie with the dog.
In the latter part of the article I got a bit snowblind with some of the technical terms.
Hope it's of some use and please jump in with any improvements.
My brain hurts - time for a Wheat beer - Prost! :happydance:

Last edited:
Translations always make my head hurt spike. I am about to do the translation of Uwe's H. Couf research.

It's too early for a beer here (only 10 in the morning.) Or else I'd join you für ein Weissbier.;)

@helen I just noticed in another thread that you have contact to Uwe Ladwig
I hope I'm not violating any copyrights by translating this article from Sonic and making it available for Café Sax members.
Your opinion would be appreciated.
Gruss aus Charmany - spike

Yes, I have a professional relationship with Uwe. He has given me written permission to translate his original material for my website. In turn I provide the credits in exactly the language he has requested. See example at the bottom of the D&J page.

So now that we have my situation cleared up, to answer your question, well... By law you may well be violating copyrights. However, if you send Uwe an email and ask him if it's OK that you do this. he will let you know one way or the other.

He is a very nice guy, and can read and write in English. (Although writing in English is not as easy for him as German is.) He is very approachable. You can find him through his shop.

@helen - thanks helen, although I speak fluent German and that in many dialects writing in German is also not as easy for me.
Thanks for the link. I'll give Uwe a call tomorrow. He's located down the road on the banks of the Boden Sea.
Incidently having lived here for over 40 years I've collected a lot've info on German sax makers if I can help you with your quest in any way don't hesitate to contact me. I still play honkin' rock'n'roll sax but I can no longer jump around on the tables like I used to.
Thanks again - Gruss - spike
P.S. Haven't been able to contact Uwe directly, If anyone wants a copy of my English translation please PM me - :cool:

Last edited:
Yes, I have a professional relationship with Uwe. He has given me written permission to translate his original material for my website. In turn I provide the credits in exactly the language he has requested. See example at the bottom of the D&J page.

So now that we have my situation cleared up, to answer your question, well... By law you may well be violating copyrights. However, if you send Uwe an email and ask him if it's OK that you do this. he will let you know one way or the other.

He is a very nice guy, and can read and write in English. (Although writing in English is not as easy for him as German is.) He is very approachable. You can find him through his shop.

Thanks for the link. So that's the guy. I use to read his articles.

BTW Jaye, not to derail your thread, but I did find a low A bari. I got it through Paul Maslin. It is a very lovely H. Couf Suberba II in black nickel with gold plated keys. It was a closet horn. Although I'm sorry I couldn't get a bari through you, I'm not at all sorry I got this stunning beauty that has a sound that will knock you on your as!.

BTW Jaye, not to derail your thread, but I did find a low A bari. I got it through Paul Maslin. It is a very lovely H. Couf Suberba II in black nickel with gold plated keys. It was a closet horn. Although I'm sorry I couldn't get a bari through you, I'm not at all sorry I got this stunning beauty that has a sound that will knock you on your as!.
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 4.07.41 PM.png

From looking at a German and Russian site it seems to me that Romania seems right for Arta Guban. It appears that they were made in Timisoara which, as far as I know, has been the subject of territorial disputes between Romania and Hungary.The instrument at any rate seems named Arta Guban Timisoara, possibly to stress Romania's claim. It also seems that there is an Arta Guban shoe factory still in the area. I don't know who or what Arta Guban was.

Opinions about the saxophone vary from dreadful to very good. So, if you have good one, you should be able to get a lot pleasure from it. Their resale value doesn't seem all that high. In fact, you can get one for so little that the Chinese offerings seem almost expensive. If you have one for sale, please do not let me know.
This one must definitely be a 'good one' then?
View: https://youtu.be/8ryoiNCZKXc?si=Z_t2d5dmC52kcr14

Back
Top Bottom