Photo contest

What, how and why are you transcribing?

I write out transcriptions using pencil and music staff paper while using "Transcribe". For each phrase or segment I like to first just put in the note heads and then when they are correct, I go back and add the stems to the notes and work out the rhythm, adding rests etc. Figuring out the rhythm is often harder than getting the right pitches.
You don't play it first then?

I am beginning to do a different kind of transcribing than I have done in the past. This time I am learning to play improvised solos by ear, and not writing anything down. It is challenging because I have to remember previous sections as I go on to learn new ones. My first effort has been the bridge of Easy Living by Phil Woods. I'm finding that I am learning a lot about style and articulation along with the notes by doing it this way.
this is the way I have done for the most part. Which way is thought to be best?

I can only speak for myself but learning a solo by not writing it out has caused me to grow more as a musician especially in terms of listening skills and attention to detail. I wish I had started doing this 40 years ago, but back then we didn't have the wonderful audio technology that we do today.

I'm afraid I still don't see how not writing it down helps.
Let's see if I can explain it this way. While transcribing a solo and writing it down as you go you are essentially done with each section as you put it to paper. Basically you are harvesting notes and rhythms from the audio recording.

When learning to play a solo from a recording and memorizing it so you can play it by ear, you are trying to match the style, articulation, jazz inflections, etc. of that artist in addition to the notes and rhythms---things that are not on your written copy. A case in point when I prepared my first "ear only transcription" and played it for my instructor, he remarked, "You didn't sound like 'John' when you played that. You sounded like Phil Woods. I took that as a real compliment.

I believe had I written out the transcription which would have taken much less time and effort and read the solo from the page, I would have still sounded like "John" which I'm trying to move beyond in my jazz playing. Does this help to answer the question? This is still new to me so I know I will learn more as I go along.

I write out transcriptions using pencil and music staff paper while using "Transcribe". For each phrase or segment I like to first just put in the note heads and then when they are correct, I go back and add the stems to the notes and work out the rhythm, adding rests etc. Figuring out the rhythm is often harder than getting the right pitches.

If it is something I want to keep or share with others, I take my handwritten transcription and put it into either Finale, or BiaB. This is my most ambitions transcription to date, the piano intro on the duet I played with Rhyson on the tune Sunny Side.

Do you do this when you are improvising say on IOTM threads?

Jx

Do you do this when you are improvising say on IOTM threads?
Jx

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is no. I'm not "regurgitating" something I heard someone else play*. The improvisation is "off the cuff". It is however preceded by study of the chord changes, listening to lots of professionals play the tune, and lots of practice trying different "ideas" over the changes to see what sounds good to my ears.

* The exception is that I will sometimes insert a ii V I "lick" here and there that I have learned to play in all 12 keys.

Hey guys whats up!! This thread has really taken off and is awesome! Sorry for being inactive for so long. Here is what I am working on currently, Coleman Hawkins solo on Blues for Yolande. Absorbing history is essentially what I am doing at the moment and I really really dig his playing so much! Also been checking out plenty of Charlie Parker, Paul Desmond, and Ben Webster. Anyway, I was listening to his solo and he does this sort of screaming or really high pitched squeeling effect while playing the high notes on his solo around 2:34. I was wondering has anyone any idea how he produces that effect? Been racking my brains trying to figure it out, is it a growl of some sort or something all together?

Thanks! Hopefully we can get this thread revived!! Love reading what everyone has been working on, very interesting and insightful!

Peace out,
Micheal.

Hi Michael,
To me it sounds like he is putting super fast air in so the reed just shuts down. And then when it opens he does it again etc.. Someone please correct me if im not correct

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ' jbsax'.
I am wondering where I can hear this recording that you are mentioning please.
Also, can you please tell me about this ' transcribe ' program ? thankyou !
Here you go. Transcribe

The last solo I transcribed was just the bridge of Easy Living. This is the solo I'm going to tackle this week. I picked it because it doesn't countain a lot of double time.

Ok folks. After 3 weeks of work and countless hours practicing and listening, I finally have Phil's solo in my head and under my fingers. It is not quite polished yet, but I'm getting closer. Not a note was written down because it was all learned by "ear". It wasn't easy, but I think it was worth it in the end. Let me say I think this is the best thing I have ever done to improve my jazz playing. I can't wait to start on the next one.

Last edited:
Ok folks. After 3 weeks of work and countless hours practicing and listening, I finally have Phil's solo in my head and under my fingers. It is not quite polished yet, but I'm getting closer. Not a note was written down because it was all learned by "ear". It wasn't easy, but I think it was worth it in the end. Let me say I think this is the best thing I have ever done to improve my jazz playing. I can't wait to start on the next one.

only 3 weeks??????????? gosh!

The system for learning from others I have found very effective. Learn to sing the piece first with the recording and then without.

Then play it on your instrument. I find it the fastest wZy to get it into my head.