All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Tenor Viol's musings

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Well done making your first recording. I remember how much I disliked doing it the first few times.

I don’t know Ableton, but on a Mac an easy way to make and edit recordings is GarageBand.
I get stupidly nervous when soloing and make stupid mistakes that I don't usually make. Bizarrely it doesn't bother me when I'm with the Café ensemble at our monthly meets...

Last edited:

jbtsax

Subscriber
I get stupidly nervous when soloing and make stupid mistakes that I don't usually make. Bizarrely it doesn't bother me when I'm with the Café ensemble at our monthly meets...
It was nice to finally hear you on saxophone. Your musicianship really comes through. Over the Rainbow is a bit of a challenging melody due to the large downward leaps. The saxophone goes easily from a note in the low register to one in the high register, but it is reluctant to go the other direction. One technique that helps me is to "mentally" play the low note that is coming while you are still on the high one. It kind of gets the "taste" of that note ready so when you play that note it responds.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
I am technically having a career break this year to enable me to travel... yes, that's going well...
I've been writing a blog, which currently has about a dozen posts on it - 8 so far about NZ trip and 4 more general ones. I'm not promising a great work of literature, nor world-class imagery, but it's an attempt...

If you are wondering about the title "61st Orbit", well I was 60 in February and so I have commenced my 61st orbit of the sun...

The 61st Orbit

jbtsax

Subscriber
WOW! I need to come back to that when I have more time to read the text and savor every picture. Thank you so much for documenting your travel and sharing it with us at the Cafe.

rhysonsax

That blog is really great - some wonderful photographs and nice reminders of the trip I had to New Zealand nearly 30 years ago.

I look forward to catching up with any new postings you make to it.

Rhys

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Good news story of the day: physio more-or-less signed me off today (I have the option to see him if anything flares up). I resumed low-key running a couple of weeks ago - just 5km along the canal tow path and slowly at around 34 minutes.

There are some minor issues as gait is obviously not quite right as I'm getting twinges in my right leg, which we looked at today. It's basically stiffness of the muscles down the exterior just above and below the knee. Some painful treatment on it today, but he wasn't worried about it. I just need to stretch that and keep up with the strengthening exercises on the left leg.

So he doesn't need to see me again unless I feel something isn't right.

Next week it would have been 9 months since I tore the Achilles' (hmm don't you love the future perfect conditional tense?).

rhysonsax

It's interesting to hear that you can still have consultation and treatment with a physio at the moment. I'm guessing that they are going through tough times and are taking special measures when seeing patients/clients.

And good news on your running.

Rhys

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Bad news of the day. I seem to have pulled or torn something in my lower right calf area on the inside. Had an ice pack on it and will repeat later. Can't walk very far as too uncomfortable.

This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Rotten luck!
Was that the leg that you injured before?

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
For those who are supremely bored, the blog (link a few posts back) has all the posts for the NZ trip (apart from some missing photos from a white water rafting trip - which I suspect we won't see until the organising company resumes business...) plus two posts about "ten albums which influenced me...". Happy to take credit for curing insomnia, provided that it doesn't lead to somnambulance...

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Long term readers of these scrivenings will be aware that for a while I have been trying to get to grips with the basics of playing electric bass. I have struggled because of the difficulties in finding a tutor. Partly it's to do with living in rural Shropshire and there just aren't the numbers and partly it's some rather unprofessional attitudes by some. My experience until now has gone like this:

#1 'Professional' player with a long list of academic music qualifications. After repeated attempts to set-up a lesson, each cancelled, I gave up...

#2 Having retired from one career, had trained as a music teacher. Had a few lessons with this person... but at the end of the third they said "You know more about music than I do..." Although he was around my own age, I got the impression not comfortable with teaching an older adult...

#3 Ran three students at once in separate rooms of the industrial unit he used as his 'studio'. Flitting from one room to the other. I put up with it for a few weeks, but in the end just thought he was taking the Mickey.

Very long gap.

I decide to try a different tack - one a little alien to me as well. A rock school has started locally and has just started offering adult lessons. I went for a trial session before my NZ trip. It was very different, not least due to multiple sessions in the one room running simultaneously... Session finishes with group playing. It was quite good fun, but a little loud... Tutor was obviously apprentice rock god material judging by hair and dress sense... Insistence on using TAB told me probably didn't read notation...

Plan was to start fortnightly lessons on return from NZ, but then CV19 hit. They announced a couple of weeks ago that they would start 121 online lessons. I agreed and first session was to have been last Friday. Got to an hour before hand and it was cancelled due to tutor apparently forgetting wife's birthday... Rearranged for Tuesday at 3pm. For reasons I won't bore you with I wasn't overly happy with that, but I let it ride.

Tuesday I had challenges as I had a call in the morning from mum with some health challenges and I knew I wasn't going to be home until after 3pm. Got in touch as early as I could (late morning) and agreed a delay to 5pm. With a lot of scrambling I got home at 4.45pm, set-up computer etc., and waited...

Nothing happened. The owner got in touch about 5.15 and apologised saying it looked like wires were crossed and tutor would be available at 5pm Wednesday... You will understand I wasn't terribly impressed given the strains of the day and what had gone on before.

Owner messaged me today and apologised for yesterday and said they felt the tutor was not reliable enough and arranged for someone else to take my session. So, at 5pm today finally had a lesson. Seems he's 'classically' trained and his music degree was in contemporary music and music production. He's primarily a keyboard player and drummer, with bass being third instrument that he teaches. This explains his use of piano finger numbering - thumb is 1, index finger is 2, middle 3, ring 4, pinkie 5... which is not how string players (of any string instrument that I know of) number them: index = 1 etc. However, apart from that he was fine. He's young, mid-20s been teaching only a few years. Said that I was the first student he'd had that could already read music, that already had a pile of music theory under their belt, and who he could talk to in musical terms...

It was a constructive session.

I am struggling though to understand why finding a decent bass tutor seems to be so hard. A part of it is undoubtedly being in a rural location. I am sure that if I was nearer Manchester, it wouldn't be an issue due to RNCM being there and similarly Liverpool has LIPA. I suspect that means that most teachers are self-taught and haven't got so much pedagogic technique. Maybe because of that they find me a challenge since I already read music and have a fair chunk of theory? Who knows? It's certainly odd.

Here's hoping...

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
@tenorviol , have a look at website becomeabasssist.com may give you some ideas
Thanks for the suggestion - I've had a look at some of the videos. I am signed-up to Scott's Bass Lessons, which has a lot of stuff on it.

One of the 'challenges' is my cello playing way of thinking gets in the way, particularly with the right hand - you would think alternating 1st and 2nd finger would be easy... but my brain is used to thinking bowing and fingering relationships and I think it's trying to force the concept onto plucking... o_O

Last edited:

Vetinari

Subscriber
i've had lots of his emails but never really done anything cos the sax came along and the bass went into the closet. Yes, i'm a closet bassist>:)

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom