SHWoodwind Updates

Stephen Howard

It's been a while, but I've just uploaded the following batch of updates:

A preview of TJ's new gold lacquered Signtature Custom tenor (verrry nice)

A review of the Holton Collegiate 666 alto (yeah, they really called it that)

A review of the Selmer Avant 200 tenor (not so bad)

A review of a late model Weltklang tenor (Ptttoooeyyy!)

A truly nasty Couesnon soprano in the Black Museum (for shame)

and another Boosey & Co soprano (not bad, not bad)

There's also a new Notes article - and a whole new section called Benchlife. It's my rolling blog. Think of it like Twitter without the trolls or Facebook without the...er...gits.

Stephen Howard Woodwind - saxophone, clarinet, flute and other woodwind instrument repairs and servicing.

real8

About time, too! :) Discovered your site last month, and just as I got addicted, there was no more to read. Should you tire of repairing, you could have a great carreer as a writer. Keep up the good work!

How dare you Stephen, call a lacquered TJ SC " very nice"? Don't you know only a raw finish allows for the culmination of saxophone sound? ;) Interesting read though. I understand the most significant change is that the crook comes now more straight into your embochoure? A shame we have no chance to try the horn here in Germany. TJ saxes are are rare breed over here.

Alphorn

Stephen Howard

How dare you Stephen, call a lacquered TJ SC " very nice"? Don't you know only a raw finish allows for the culmination of saxophone sound? ;) Interesting read though. I understand the most significant change is that the crook comes now more straight into your embochoure? A shame we have no chance to try the horn here in Germany. TJ saxes are are rare breed over here.
It's the way you say it....Vvvvvvvery nice - or verrrrrrrryyyy nice.

Yep, the big change is the crook - it really opens things out. I'd very much like to get my hands one for a proper test.
The angle didn't seem all that different from my own crook, but I'm pretty sure I modified it when I got the horn. You get used to certain things, and after a few decades on the Yamaha I go used to the mouthpiece coming in at a certain angle...so I would have tweaked the crook to suit.

I have a feeling they'll be more available soon - TJ have handed over the distribution of their lower end stuff to Barnes & Mullins, which mean their in-house team will concentrate solely on the SC range. I'd assume that would mean a greater focus on worldwide distribution.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator

Stephen Howard

Borgani's rise was all rather odd.
I think Bill Lewington was their UK agent - and these horns always skulked in the nether regions of the trade catalogue - along with the Parrots, Larks and the unbelievably awful Lewington flute (Gold Seal was the brand, if I remember rightly).
And then one day the price of the Borganis shot through the roof.

I suspect the reason these old ones aren't so common is that they weren't at all popular, and what few there are out there have long since been relegated to dusty lofts (or worse).
It's certainly no Buescher - but it's also not a Weltklang or a Corton.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Hi @Stephen Howard

I've just enjoyed reading your excoriating review of the Wetlang tenor. You make special mention of the fibrous, indestructable and fireproof pads which you liken to asbestos

What's the betting the fibres are asbestos: cheap, versatile and resilient?

The first asbestos bans came in the 1970's at the start of the Wetland manufacturing era, but the bans were piecemeal from country to country and it's not a big stretch to imagine the GDR was behind in it's health and safety legislation until it joined the West in 1990

Next time you chew on a Wetlang pad please make sure, like Bill Clinton, you don't inhale

Stephen Howard

Hi @Stephen Howard

I've just enjoyed reading your excoriating review of the Wetlang tenor. You make special mention of the fibrous, indestructable and fireproof pads which you liken to asbestos

What's the betting the fibres are asbestos: cheap, versatile and resilient?
I think you might just have started a new internet saxophone myth. Give it another couple of years and everyone will be saying "Weltklang? Asbestos pads!".

...Not that I can say for sure that you're wrong, mind you.

Top Bottom