All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Tenor Viol's musings

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I'm from Liverpool originally and I remember the Metropolitan Cathedral being built back in the 60s. It has become an iconic building. The acoustics are challenging with an 11 second reverb.
The reverb was bad when it was first opened and might have been eleven then which was a problem. There was work done on it soon after and I think it is now about seven.
When I was talking to David Sheppard, (casual bit of name dropping), in the eighties he seemed quite pleased that the Anglican Cathedral reverb was longer by one second.

OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
The reverb was bad when it was first opened and might have been eleven then which was a problem. There was work done on it soon after and I think it is now about seven.
When I was talking to David Sheppard, (casual bit of name dropping), in the eighties he seemed quite pleased that the Anglican Cathedral reverb was longer by one second.
Yes, Anglican reverb is slightly longer. I can also say from experience of having sung at various points in both cathedrals that the Anglican is an extremely challenging acoustic, especially if you are split antiphonally cathedral choir style 'dec and can' as the gap between the two sides is huge.

OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
We drove to Salisbury Cathedral to hear that - it was magical.

I can't access the picture - it says I don't have permission.
OK Google Drive has changed how it authorises things - I must have got it wrong.... I'll go away and fix it.

OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
Hmmm must have been buying things online.... 20kg of packages on the doorstep....

5DCB0CB6-C1A9-44DB-8288-9FD3F691B81B.jpeg

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Looks like a Star Wars Plasma Cannon to me.

Beware the first person to play a wrong note in the Cafe Septet . . . Sextet . . . Quintet . . . Quartet . . . .

OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
EDIT: I've now created a separate "Tuning" thread for this
I've often talked about tunings and temperaments as it comes up quite regularly on the Café. I was introduced to a Youtube channel a while ago and they have some interesting talks on there. This is a useful short guide to the subject.

View: https://youtu.be/TgwaiEKnMTQ

Last edited:
OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
Some people on here know me quite well, especially the members of the Café trio, quartet, quintet, sextet, septet, octet... so they know I'm a bit geeky I suppose. Anyway, continuing the tale of making a move back into astronomy after several decades away, technology has moved a long way. Last time I did any astrophotography, I either did B&W film, which I would develop myself, or it was colour slide film (transparencies)...

Digital technology has moved the world of astrophotography a long way in the last 30 years or so. I've bought a book to help me get to grips with the techniques and methods. You know you're in a different world when about 5 pages in the section heading is: "Signal and Noise" and the sub-heading is "A little statistics and quantum physics". In the old days it would have been about choice of film, e.g. Kodak Tri-X, and what developer to use to increase sensitivity (what would now be called ISO) and reduce grain...

OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
The order for the new 'scope has gone in. Trouble is all the amateur astronomers stuck at home have been buying up the UK's entire stock of instruments (I'm not kidding - just about everything is sold out). Most instruments are made in a small number of Chinese factories (it doesn't matter if your 'scope's manufacturer is Meade, Celestron, Explore Scientific, Stella Mira, Teleskop Service, Sky-Watcher, William Optic, Orion Optics (US not UK), etc... all the lenses/mirrors come from the same place.... (so it's not just saxes). So unless you've got a spare gold brick to buy a Japanese Takahashi or Vixen, you are dependent on Chinese production and shipping, which has been severely disrupted.

I'm unlikely to see anything until August.

That is better than my new dining room table which arrived today... ordered in December, should have been here mid-February (the timber which is reclaimed pine was sent over from Canada). It got delayed, the revised delivery date was while I was in NZ, so put off until my return, then lockdown... They re-opened for business yesterday.

OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
It has to be said for various reasons which I won't bore you with, sax and cello playing has been on the back shelf for some weeks (tbh for most of the lockdown). It ought to be easy to play at the moment, but it isn't.

The only musical activity in recent weeks has been my weekly Skype bass lesson. It presents me with an odd challenge because I can read music, so no issues there. I understand 'how' string instruments work with playing both cello and viols. There are similarities especially with left hand, but there are differences too. The frustration obviously is I can't really play it yet... Yesterday was only my 4th lesson, but he had me playing stuff in 5/4 (I rather suspect he doesn't get to do that with many bass guitar students...). So rather bizarrely I was playing the main 'tune' from Take Five... something I've never played on alto...

OP
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
I have some sad news to report, which is good news for the Café Octet. For reasons I won't bore you with I will no longer be playing with the orchestra in Birmingham. That means I will have much greater freedom on Sundays and it will be much easier to attend sessions.

Vetinari

Subscriber
FANTASTIC, just wot uz masochists need. A man with a big stick. Well e always sez e's a sadist when ez got a baton in is and

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom