SYOS

Tenor Viol's musings

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I'm from Liverpool originally and I remember the Metropolitan Cathedral being built back in the 60s. It has become an iconic building. The acoustics are challenging with an 11 second reverb.
The reverb was bad when it was first opened and might have been eleven then which was a problem. There was work done on it soon after and I think it is now about seven.
When I was talking to David Sheppard, (casual bit of name dropping), in the eighties he seemed quite pleased that the Anglican Cathedral reverb was longer by one second.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
The reverb was bad when it was first opened and might have been eleven then which was a problem. There was work done on it soon after and I think it is now about seven.
When I was talking to David Sheppard, (casual bit of name dropping), in the eighties he seemed quite pleased that the Anglican Cathedral reverb was longer by one second.
Yes, Anglican reverb is slightly longer. I can also say from experience of having sung at various points in both cathedrals that the Anglican is an extremely challenging acoustic, especially if you are split antiphonally cathedral choir style 'dec and can' as the gap between the two sides is huge.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
We drove to Salisbury Cathedral to hear that - it was magical.

I can't access the picture - it says I don't have permission.
OK Google Drive has changed how it authorises things - I must have got it wrong.... I'll go away and fix it.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Looks like a Star Wars Plasma Cannon to me.

Beware the first person to play a wrong note in the Cafe Septet . . . Sextet . . . Quintet . . . Quartet . . . .

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
EDIT: I've now created a separate "Tuning" thread for this
I've often talked about tunings and temperaments as it comes up quite regularly on the Café. I was introduced to a Youtube channel a while ago and they have some interesting talks on there. This is a useful short guide to the subject.

View: https://youtu.be/TgwaiEKnMTQ

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom