All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19
SYOS

Tenor Viol's musings

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hope you don't get stuck there, although I guess there are worse places.
What's this abouta T902? Great saxes ;)

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hope you don't get stuck there, although I guess there are worse places.
What's this abouta T902? Great saxes ;)
Well, I seem to have acquired one.... I’ve got a couple of week’s before I need to worry, but yes distinct possibility of having challenges getting home.

Greg Strange

I loved NZ when my wife and I had an extended holiday there, travelling by camper van through both islands. So many great things to see and do and such wonderful people.

Your picture reminds me of our aircraft journey to NZ in the early 90s, I think it was the first time I had seen the in-cabin map of the plane's position and route and I found it very interesting. We were due to change flights at Sydney for the connecting flight on to Aukland and so flew right across Oz rather than your route through the Southern Ocean. When the map showed the aircraft symbol cross over Australia's Northern coast on the way to Sydney I started to get ready for landing. I didn't quite appreciate the size of Australia and we had another four hours or so of flying across the Outback until we would land !

Have a great time in NZ and keep safe.

Rhys
Big country Australia, from Perth to Sydney as the crow (or should that be cockatoo) flies is over 2,000 miles and over 1,000 miles from Sydney to Auckland. Actually Auckland and all of NZ is closer to Sydney than Perth...more people live in Sydney than the population of NZ...

Greg S.

P.S. It's about a 7 or 8 hour flight from Auckland to Perth...:eek:

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
I’ll post more when I’m home but the great NZ adventure for my 60th booked over a year ago has been cut short, overtaken by events.
Yesterday was a day of high drama as I struggled with bureaucracy and one airline at least that just walked away from its customers - I will name and shame in due course.
On the other hand, Qantas and Air New Zealand have delivered. I am currently in the departure lounge at Sydney, flew out of Auckland at 9am. Hope to be in UK early Wednesday.
New Zealand: great place, fantastic people, fond memories - I will post some pics soon.

Greg Strange

I'm writing this at approx. 9.00 p.m. Wednesday ( night). The New Zealand Government has declared a state of emergency and from 11.59 p.m. Wednesday New Zealand will be in complete lock down for at least four weeks. I think forum member tenorviol managed to get out at the right time...Kia Kaha - stay strong people...

Greg S.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I'm writing this at approx. 9.00 p.m. Wednesday ( night). The New Zealand Government has declared a state of emergency and from 11.59 p.m. Wednesday New Zealand will be in complete lock down for at least four weeks. I think forum member tenorviol managed to get out at the right time...Kia Kaha - stay strong people...

Greg S.
I think I'd rather have stayed in NZ than go back to the UK... You're lucky living there.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber

Greg S.
Yes, I got an Air NZ flight from Auckland to Sydney on Tuesday morning, then a Qantas flight to UK via Darwin (apparently I was on the inaugural flight for an A380 to Darwin... because we couldn't take the usual route via Singapore). The remaining Americans in the group managed to leave yesterday and they're just arriving in US now. One Swiss guy in the group headed out via Bangkok but got returned to Auckland - he's now there until at least mid-April.

Last edited:
OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
and what looks like the distinct shape of Rangitoto Island in the background...:thumb:

Greg S.
The pic was taken from Mudbrick Vineyard. I also went to Batch and Stonyridge vineyards.

Last edited:
OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Decided I really ought to try to record some stuff... so have moved the kitchen hi-fi system to the study etc. Missing a cable to connect the Scarlet 2i2 to the amps that's on order.
91598237_1065831953799626_381540877119520768_n.jpg

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
OK the online sax lesson didn't quite go to plan.

I set-up my Mac on my orchestral music stand with the table set level. I connected the laptop to the monitor so that I could easily see teacher, and camera would be to the side of me to show me playing. I link AirPods to the Mac so that I wouldn't pick-up sound coming back through from teacher's end. I set-up another music stand to use for my music. Set-up sax.

Teacher wanted to use WhatsApp. Slight problem: the WhatsApp app for Mac doesn't provide video calls as an option...

So, it was WhatsApp via phone...

The AirPods worked fine.

A few hiccups, but latency wasn't too big an issue.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom