support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Fingers crossed

Just got shipping info and the nerves have kicked in. 14Kg package and DHL not Yodel. :)
That must be a big relief. Reasonable prospect it will actually get delivered and not thrown on to the roof of next door but three's garage......

We're rooting' for you Colin :thumb:
I had a cheap china baritone on spec a couple of years ago - it was double the price of the one you've ordered.
I had it for two weeks on spec. It was brilliant, amazing, I couldn't believe how good it was.
I didn't buy it cos I'm not a bari man.
However I did buy a second tenor as a spare from the same company for € 420 and that is one great horn.
I've used it when my gig horn is in for service, no problem.
So hey - it'll be interesting to hear your story. :cool:

Van pulled up outside. Driver rooting in the back. Knock at the door. Blimey! That was quick. Nearly fell over the sofa rushing excitedly to the door. Sign here...

pair of boots I forgot I'd ordered from Amazon. :rolleyes:

It's easy to solder back on a receiver.

1) Get everything immaculately clean. Remove as much of the old solder as you can.
2) Use lots of flux.
3) Get the joint hot enough.
4) Apply the solder to the metal, not to the flame, and let the temp. of the metal melt the solder.

Do this and the solder will wick nicely into the joint leaving just a little fillet all round.

#2 and #3 are the most common faults.

The octave pip is 5mm away from the joint and solder ran out of that joint while I was warming it up. Ok. We'll do that as well.
But later. I had visions of a post dropping off or the next joint giving way.
I could always advertise it as an Ikea baritone. Some assembly required.
I've not given up on it yet. Just need to think about it for a while.

The octave pip is 5mm away from the joint and solder ran out of that joint while I was warming it up. Ok. We'll do that as well.
But later. I had visions of a post dropping off or the next joint giving way.
I could always advertise it as an Ikea baritone. Some assembly required.
I've not given up on it yet. Just need to think about it for a while.
Some of us have learned the hard way to wire down adjacent soldered on parts when doing jobs like this---that or tying a damp piece of cloth around them. :confused:

Yes. It's all wired up. Nothing moved but what a night mare when one job creates another. I need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it.
It's not a precision instrument but we've been through a lot together. Thinking about it, it's the longest relationship I've had with anything. ;)

It has arrived. Great big box. I was surprised at the apparent lack of packaging inside but it's undamaged and blindigly shiney.:cool:
Plays great straight out of the box. Low A to F# and everything in between.
The only problem I'm having is fudging the the front F key with my fat fingers and finding the high F# key.
I'll adapt or modify.
I haven't bothered with the supplied mouthpiece lig cap supplied and just popped the S80C* on. Nice fit.
It's a little brighter than the Weltklang especially down low. Intonation acceptable. Just a bit odd in the palm key range but that may be me or the reed.
It looks very like the Sakkusu. I don't know if it comes from the same factory. The Startone tenor and alto look like the old G4M ones.
I've only blown it for an hour but it feels like a keeper.
£825 deivered. Including cork grease ;)

It has arrived. Great big box. I was surprised at the apparent lack of packaging inside but it's undamaged and blindigly shiney.:cool:
Plays great straight out of the box. Low A to F# and everything in between.
The only problem I'm having is fudging the the front F key with my fat fingers and finding the high F# key.
I'll adapt or modify.
I haven't bothered with the supplied mouthpiece lig cap supplied and just popped the S80C* on. Nice fit.
It's a little brighter than the Weltklang especially down low. Intonation acceptable. Just a bit odd in the palm key range but that may be me or the reed.
It looks very like the Sakkusu. I don't know if it comes from the same factory. The Startone tenor and alto look like the old G4M ones.
I've only blown it for an hour but it feels like a keeper.
£825 deivered. Including cork grease ;)
That all sounds very promising. Only one problem, now I am seriously tempted. Will mull over it for a day or so, the price is held until the 29th

Three and a half hours in and it's still ok.
The key work is very easy to bend. This, as I've found over the years with the Weltklang, is a blessing and a curse.

The front F, which was in the way, has moved easily to a more ergonomic position. The palm keys too. D up a bit. Eb down a bit.
It makes me wonder if they moved in transit and I've just moved them back, which means there will be movement in the future. Time will tell.

I couldn't resist checking it against the tuner and was prepared to be disappointed. A new horn can need some getting used to. Everything is within 5c top to bottom. WOW!

On closer inspection the lower of the three octave pads is hitting the pip right on the edge of the pad. Sealing but perhaps a future problem.

I've noticed that it's a little heavier than the weltklang. I felt myself going a little light headed after playing for a couple of hours. The sling limiting blood flow to my head, so attached the peg and sat down. Clarity returned.
I was worried that it wouldn't fit on the stand with the peg attached. No need to worry. It fits fine. Relief.
I haven't played a horn for such an extended period since...forever. Can't put it down. Poor neighbours. :rolleyes::sax:

To quote July 20, 1969:
"Roger Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You've got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks alot!"

We, of course, are expecting you to post some photos!

It's exactly like the pictures on the Thomann web site. ;)
I'll be posting a recording or two.
Another thing I've noticed is there's a little more resistance down the bottom end. This makes holding low A a lot easier. The old Weltklang was so free blowing I'd run out of air in a couple seconds. This thing I can pedal away for a bar or two.
Can't wait to gig it. :)