All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Fingers crossed

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Had a pop up gig last night and the bari fell to bits. The socket has detatched itself from the pig tail. I've had a go at soldering it back on but I'm just making a mess. I seem to have lost my touch. It's a Weltklang and I've had it for almost 40 years
Any how.
Thomann are having a clear out so I've taken the plunge and ordered this.

I'm hoping that with a bit of fettling it will play ok. Fingers crossed. :happydance:

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I'm sorry for your loss.
But hopefully you have found a bargain, and it might be nicer to play.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
The old Weltklang is a klunk fest. I may be able to get it resurrected but I don't want to spend a lot on it. It may make a nice lamp. ;)

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
The old Weltklang is a klunk fest. I may be able to get it resurrected but I don't want to spend a lot on it. It may make a nice lamp. ;)

Shouldn't be that much of a deal. Bari pigtails/upper bows are prone to falling off - it's all down to selective galvanic corrosion. There's a lot of moisture present in that part of the horn and the body tube joint are relatively small in diameter - and Weltklangs in particular tend to suffer more than most (they used cheap solder).
The key to reassembly is thorough cleaning of the joints (take them right back to brass) and a reasonably hefty gas torch to bring the tube up to temperature. You might just about do it with a Dremel Versaflame, but it'll be a tense operation.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Shouldn't be that much of a deal. Bari pigtails/upper bows are prone to falling off - it's all down to selective galvanic corrosion. There's a lot of moisture present in that part of the horn and the body tube joint are relatively small in diameter - and Weltklangs in particular tend to suffer more than most (they used cheap solder).
The key to reassembly is thorough cleaning of the joints (take them right back to brass) and a reasonably hefty gas torch to bring the tube up to temperature. You might just about do it with a Dremel Versaflame, but it'll be a tense operation.
I had a go with the dremel but it hasn't got the oomph. It's great for little jobs.
I've tried with a torch I used to use brazing fridge compressor pipes too. It may well be me. I seem to be out of practice. The clean up after each attempt is time consuming and off putting.
Maybe I wasn't as good at soldering as I remember.
I need to find someone trustworthy, near enough to take it to.
Meanwhile...Santa has a large parcel for me and if it sings, I have a plant pot as a spare. Oooh F#. ;)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Does the new one come with pads or are they an add on option?
Thomann stuff seems to be of a basic but acceptable standard. There's a three year guarantee and a 30day returns policy.

At the price and checking the pictures, I couldn't resist. Black friday and all that.
Paypal interest free credit spreading it over 90 days makes it £10 a day.

I just hope Yodel don't batter it and leave it on the roof. ;)

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
@Colin the Bear I am now so tempted. There's a G4M Rosedale for sale just down the road from me, it's being sold as needing a service and looks a bit scruffy, and that's only £25 cheaper than the Startone one. Then there's a second hand BW for sale in West London, but that's £275 more than the Startone.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I tried a rosedale tenor. Didn't like it. Just didn't feel right. Sold it on.
I had a blow of a Bauhaus bari. It seemed to lack oomph to me.
I think the startone is a clearance deal. They can't last long at that price.
30 day return and a 3 year guarantee and nobody's slavered over it. ;)

ESJohn

Café Supporter
Locality
Ohio USA
Congratulations Colin! Looks sharp! The lowest price that I see on a functioning Selmer USA bari has a starting bid on Ebay of $1300, complete with dents and $60 to ship.

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
Nice one.

And if it doesn't work out..
30 day return
This must be hard to resist for a trade-in

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Just looked up the price of the BAM high-tech which came with my Bari. Why SO pricey? :confused2:

Jimmymack

Locality
London
That's an amazing price, I'd be impressed if it was made of cardboard for that, but think, for a mere £5000 more, more or less, you could have had a Yamaha. I hope it's all you are hoping for.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I hope it plays and doesn't fall to bits. Oh and arrives undamaged. Can't wait.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Just got shipping info and the nerves have kicked in. 14Kg package and DHL not Yodel. :)

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom