PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Anyone tried 3D printed custom mouthpieces?

This is a personal story, but I think it may be of interest to some, especially newer players. There are answers to the two questions above this after my life story :cool:

Yesterday I played around with 5 different mouthpieces, using the same reed, and Vandoren (blue) 2 1/2.
First, I used the Jazzlab Silencer on each to "warm up" my embouchure. By the way, this and the Saxholder are probably the two best accessory investments I've made. I also tried to record the waveform of an A on each with a spectrum analyzer. "Tried", because I didn't take a lot of time, and I couldn't get the parameters right to show actual differences with either the Silencer or playing them on the instrument. It's very hard to play one note at the same energy on all these different mouthpieces, having to pull each off, put on the next, fix the reed and get in tune. It may not be possible, but I'll try again soon, taking more care to find settings that work. Another thing the just now occurs to me is that maybe the choice of an A isn't the best way to show differences. Maybe something like a low D key and a high C + octave would be more significant?

The important result of spending an hour changing mouthpieces and blowing through them is that I discovered I could actually play notes on all 5. Two of these were problematic before, the PPT and the Vandoren V16 were both proportionally too difficult to play in previous attempts, but now I can see with work that can be mastered. As a beginning alto player (my one year anniversary is in 6 days), I've wanted to explore the possibilities of mouthpieces and reeds, but for my actual development, I have to stick with the one that allows me the most freedom, the one that plays and sounds the best for where my skill is right now. How ironic that the very first mouthpiece I ever purchased, the Selmer Prologue happens to be that one. I bought it when I rented the Jupiter, because I didn't care for the idea of using a rental mouthpiece.

(@Ne0Wolf7 @saxyjt answers about the Syos)

You answer some questions (there's an "other" field for other genres of music):
Create a saxophone mouthpiece.jpg

Then, there's a web gadget to specify the two parameters and colors. These were my guesses after choosing the beginner level of saxophone prowess. They also ask what your current favorite mouthpiece is.
Syos Mouthpieces | What sound are you looking for?.jpg

Brightness
The brightness of the sound is the weight between high frequencies and low frequencies. Put the slider on max if you like sounds that are clear, sharp and metallic. On the contrary, if you like very dark, soft and velvety sounds, put the slider on minimum.

Power
The power of the mouthpiece is related to the response it gives when you blow air in it. Put the slider on max if you really like free-blowing mouthpieces, without any resistance. On the contrary, if you like to feel the mouthpiece resisting when you blow, put the slider on minimum.

This takes away from my current practicing, but it also gives me a wide experience I wouldn't get otherwise, so I accept the compromise.

In other news, my brother reminded me the other day that a guy he recorded with, Peter Ponzol makes mouthpieces. Maybe if I wrote him... nah, better not.

Pas mal! As we'd say in french. But honestly it's much better than that.

I'm curious about your Syos mouthpiece. How is it describes in Syos terms? You know, like such, x Bright, y Power...

You sound good on it. How does it feel compared with the others? I know you said you fell most confortable with your initial Seller Prologue, but I guess that's normal especially if you started with a good quality mouthpiece.

I started with a BG2 and it feels like wearing old shoes when it pick it up...

Thank, guys. I included an image of how Syos described the bright and power settings above. I pushed the brightness down to get better low end and the power up to make it easy to blow. That may have been a mistake long term, if there is a long term, because as I get more experience, I'll probably want to have a more open mouthpiece.

It's very hard for me to compare mouthpieces by recording. I never play anything the same twice, even if I played the same phrase exactly. I just don't have the control yet to be perfectly even.

It's very hard for me to compare mouthpieces by recording. I never play anything the same twice, even if I played the same phrase exactly. I just don't have the control yet to be perfectly even.

Besides the mouthpiece, there are so many variables, like reeds, embouchure and our ability to control them. Changing mouthpiece is appealing but not necessarily the answer. I tend to loose myself in mouthpiece experiments and although it can be fun it had not made me progress much.

Now I'm trying to settle on one that I feel comfortable with and I'll focus on making it sound as good as I can.

It's probably worth realizing that it isn't how fast you play or how creative your lines are, as much as it is the ability to control the sound and make any particular note sound the way you want it. The power to reproduce a note as if you were playing in an orchestra may be the most significant achievement on any instrument. I would bet that even the best, the likes of a Sonny Rollins, are constantly hoping to get better. I think he even said something like this in an interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to try to practice with the Syos and a Vandoren 3 reed. This is a recent take on a Bob Mintzer exercise, "Easy Groove".
I can immediately hear a few problems, but I promise to get better in the coming year!

"A few problems"... yes of course, I hear what you mean. Totally. I mean they're obvious. Right? o_O

Back to the saxophone mines for me. If you can do this, so must I. Either that, or die trying!

And once I can do that, I'll treat myself to a vivid pink Syos MP :cool:

The "problems" are a couple of very weak note endings, obvious to me on the end of the first phrase. This is endemic to early playing IMO. Coming from the guitar, an instrument that has to resort to feedback and effects to get sustained notes, the notes of the saxophone must be even when you want them to be. Every other day I think I can play, and the odd days I think I shouldn't quit my day job. Since I'm retired, I keep going either way.

Every other day I think I can play, and the odd days I think I shouldn't quit my day job. Since I'm retired, I keep going either way.
I used to play golf as a kid, until I discovered Rock'n'Roll and the devils horn.
Over the last few days I did some Googling. If you're the Randy that I think you are then:
Just you keep on blowing down that long and curly tube young lad.
Yer sounding good :clapping:
Tongue in cheek - Gruss spike

It's probably worth realizing that it isn't how fast you play or how creative your lines are, as much as it is the ability to control the sound and make any particular note sound ther way you want it. The power to reproduce a note as if you were playing in an orchestra may be the most significant achievement on any instrument. I would bet that even the best, the likes of a Sonny Rollins, are constantly hoping to get better. I think he even said something like this in an interview.

You wouldn't have a bridge near you to go practice by any chance? :sax:

Man, you rock ! Keep going like this and you will get close* to what you want. I could spend twice the amount of time you do and never get the same results. o_O

* Guys like you probably never get exactly where they aim. Keeps you trying to improve and stay on top of your game.

I really lucked out when we moved, the neighbors here either can't hear the sax or don't care. One said she liked it. So, motivation+time+musical experience are good resources to have. I just hope the muscles hold out. The breath is still sufficient.
I practice 2 to 4 hours a day. Some days I feel like a lot of progress is made. Then the next, disillusionment. The secret I think is "What do you expect to be able to do, exactly?" I don't have the time or discipline to be a great jazz player. I'm also hoping to find a few people to play with, because that's the next obvious step.

Hello,
reccently bought 2 mouthpieces from SYOS. Started out using the form on the page and had a leghty chat conversation with one of their engineers. I would like there to ber some more examples of the sound spectrum on the site. But other than that it worked out pretty well. Got my first piece and though they were a bit plasticky compared to my other pieces of hard rubber. Did some play testing found I could play it with more ease and hit more notes than with my other older mp. Still found it a bit too bright ( I was a bit too careful when doing the first order) so I filled in the satisfaction form on their page and had a little chat with the same engineer again. Got another MP sent out and I think its perfect now. Really gotten over the plastic feel because of the playability.

So I really like them. Got a custom feel and great service.

I had a lesson Friday and asked my teacher about Syos, because at the store they told me he bought one. He loves it, and he's a great player. Coincidentally, I got a mailing from Syos that fell into my spam folder. I just found it, but if anyone is interested they're running a 25% off St. Patrick's Day promo until midnight tonight. If you want a green mouthpiece, now's the time!

Get a 25% discount on any Syos mouthpiece purchase, signature or custom, ordered in Green color. Use the code GREENMOUTHPIECE to get the discount.

I think midnight is Paris time, so it ends 11PM UK, 6PM EDT, 3PM PDT.

The SYOS mouthpieces were available to try and buy at the Liverpool Sax Day a few weeks ago (when I bought my sop and a Morgan Fry mpc). Curly Woodwind in Liverpool now have a stock of them. People seem to be quite impressed with them so far. I'm planning to take my sax in for a service, so I might test them.

My teacher suggested I prioritize the Syos on the alto, which I didn't expect at all. What I do know is that it makes a huge difference on the soprano.

I wasn't too tempted by these until the alto player in my band got one, he sounds amazing on it. He wanted something punchier than the link he was playing on and it's definitely delivered that. It's not just the volume though, the tone is really nice too.

Payday on Wednesday...

It's the old Marmite thing, people seem to either love these or hate them. I think you'd have to try one before hating it, though, unless put off by the colors.

Back
Top Bottom