All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

2013/06 - "My one and only love"

dubrosa22

Locality
Sydney, Australia
A big thank you to all the people who have made this BOTM special with many great versions posted and enthusiasm shown in comments.
It is now time i hand over the job of hosting the BOTM selection for July to Vaughan better known as dubrossa22.
I hope you find it as enjoyable and rewarding as i have found it.
regards,
Ian, thesaxman71
Thanks again for a wonderful month of hosting Ian - a really challenging, fun and engaging thread I thought.
In short it's a lot to follow up! ;)

The BOTM thread for July is now open:
http://test.cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?10707-2013-07-%96-Reflections

Vaughan

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
Many thanks to you Ian for a great month..

Chris..

OP
thesaxman71

thesaxman71

Squeaking in on the last day of the month.

not my best effort, but here goes:

https://soundcloud.com/saxplorer/my-one-and-only-love

upbeat and overall a nice bouncy swinging version,
1 point to mention, this is also constructive and positive for your overall playing in the long run too: at times the tuning was quite flat, so maybe something for you to watch out for and work on.
nice to see a last day posting...and on alto, bonus!

saxplorer

Locality
Surrey, UK
thanks for listening: you're right, on relistening it is flat. Don't know if I have the time yet to re-record. Onward and upward :)

Update: re-recorded version on its way.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
It's not flat now, the quicker version sounded like fun to play on as well?? Nice one Andy..

Chris..

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
This posting you did is either
A.) a useful constructive supreme brained posting ala Einstein level and waaaay beyond my brain capacity to comprehend

or

B.) inane gibberish

hmm, now let me think which it is...
It's not hard to work out. I deleted a post. You have to put something and so I stroked my finger along the top line of letters on the keyboard. qwertyuiop

visionari1

Locality
Out in the Countryside of Nelson NZ
This I cut & pasted for the site Jazz Advice
This particular post
http://jazzadvice.com/8-improvisation-improvement-projects-that-will-change-your-playing/

This is particularly relevant, to me!

6) Ballads

Faster, higher, louder! This is the mentality that many young improvisers adopt and the typical scene at many jam sessions. We start to practice so we can play on fast tempos and impress people with flashy licks and high notes. As a result a lot of players fall short when it comes to playing a lyrical melody or improvising over slower tempos.

To play over a ballad you need style, expression, control, and a great sound – all of the subtle aspects of musicality that get lost in fast tempos and loud dynamics. Simply put, there is nowhere to hide in a ballad. In a stark way, ballad playing exposes your true level of musicianship.

How much control do you have over your instrument? How well can you create phrases over a chord progression? How much of this music have you listened to? How well do you know this tune?

All of the answers to these questions are revealed immediately the second you start improvising over a ballad. To improve the expressive and lyrical side of your playing start by learning one ballad. Check out Clifford Brown with Strings or Bird with Strings.

Etc Worth looking at IMHO.

OP
thesaxman71

thesaxman71

This I cut & pasted for the site Jazz Advice
This particular post
http://jazzadvice.com/8-improvisation-improvement-projects-that-will-change-your-playing/

This is particularly relevant, to me!

6) Ballads

Faster, higher, louder! This is the mentality that many young improvisers adopt and the typical scene at many jam sessions. We start to practice so we can play on fast tempos and impress people with flashy licks and high notes. As a result a lot of players fall short when it comes to playing a lyrical melody or improvising over slower tempos.

To play over a ballad you need style, expression, control, and a great sound – all of the subtle aspects of musicality that get lost in fast tempos and loud dynamics. Simply put, there is nowhere to hide in a ballad. In a stark way, ballad playing exposes your true level of musicianship.

How much control do you have over your instrument? How well can you create phrases over a chord progression? How much of this music have you listened to? How well do you know this tune?

All of the answers to these questions are revealed immediately the second you start improvising over a ballad. To improve the expressive and lyrical side of your playing start by learning one ballad. Check out Clifford Brown with Strings or Bird with Strings.

Etc Worth looking at IMHO.
so very true, playing ballads helps build overall skills

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
Locality
Zurich, Switzerland
Hey, I know I'm a bit late :) Any chance anyone has the sheet music and backing tracks still? The original dropbox link doesn't work, understandable as it's a few years later...

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
This isn't related to Coltrane or what you said, but it is to the song. I got interested in looking around and found a very interesting version by Eddie Daniels and a transcription is offered (for 9£). I wasn't familiar with his playing, there are many greats I don't know. This is a beautiful version worth studying. As there are 18 pages to this post it may have already been mentioned.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eactEE9NMTo

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6