All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

2013/06 - "My one and only love"

visionari1

Locality
Out in the Countryside of Nelson NZ
Thanks all,

Yeah not far now to the next one Eh!:thumb:

I looked back on the BOTM list of tunes. some really lovely tunes...wouldn't do any harm listening or even posting on them ...would it?...well no....first sign of insanity...answering one's self....I'm way past that!

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Hi Jimu, glad you've joined the BoTM too. :) and nice one to start with. Looking forward to next month's challenge although still trying to really get to grips with this one.

OP
thesaxman71

thesaxman71

Hi Jimu, glad you've joined the BoTM too. :) and nice one to start with. Looking forward to next month's challenge although still trying to really get to grips with this one.
the key with this and most ballads is to really relax on them, the rest of the things (technique, tone, phrasing) will follow in time with work.

OP
thesaxman71

thesaxman71

Only a few days left of this months BOTM and i wonder if there will be any more versions posted?

From a personal view i think this ballad choice has been a great success underlined with so many sound clip postings by lots of enthusiastic players and input they have put into this BOTM so i want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone here for taking part and "going for it".
Ian

saxplorer

Locality
Surrey, UK
I still plan to do my take ... have been playing this quite a bit and enjoying it, but haven't had that block of time needed to record. Maybe this weekend .... maybe .... if not my contribution will be filed under Ballad of Last Month.

dubrosa22

Locality
Sydney, Australia
Only a few days left of this months BOTM and i wonder if there will be any more versions posted?

From a personal view i think this ballad choice has been a great success underlined with so many sound clip postings by lots of enthusiastic players and input they have put into this BOTM so i want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone here for taking part and "going for it".
Ian
Thank you Ian it has been such an enjoyable and instructive month. I'm finally getting a chance now to listen to the past week's flurry of recordings - all and all an outstanding BOTM!
Well done! :D

P.S. I'd love to hear an alto version from you - do it!

Last edited by a moderator:

dubrosa22

Locality
Sydney, Australia
Here is a very late comer to BOTM.

After some comments in another post where I asked re adding reverb...... Ian T (thesaxman71) kindly offered to show me what it would sound like with reverb.

So this has gone from New zealand to Norway and back.

He has worked some magic on it....so I intend now to be a regular BOTM'er, now that I've broken my duck.

http://snd.sc/10hPgxT

As they say....yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance

I've also been working on How High the Moon...but still am struggling with the chords trying to make them sound like an improv!

This is almost starting to feel like fun!
Great to see another BOTM poster :)
You seem have lots of improv ideas. It's inspiring hearing new licks. I feel like my own bag is running dry.

Warning: Recording the sax is ADDICTIVE! ;)

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
Locality
Cambridgeshire
Mate I really enjoyed this. Great musicality, great ideas and your tone is improving with every recording I hear from you.
Honestly my first thought about 20secs in was 'hmm, I want a tenor so I can sound like that' then I realised it's you, not the horn. Inspiring.
Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it. I can hear improvements from when I started (that's why I record), but there's still something of the mouth organ about my tone!

Speaking of which, I think I might have to work a bit harder on my tone, 'cos that was my alto, not my tenor :D

OP
thesaxman71

thesaxman71

Thank you Ian it has been such an enjoyable and instructive month. I'm finally getting a chance now to listen to the past week's flurry of recordings - all and all an outstanding BOTM!
Well done! :D

P.S. I'd love to hear an alto version from you - do it!
many thanks fella...
just for you, i will try to do 1 today or tomorrow and i think i might play it in a layed back behind the beat 'Aubra' inspired way :)

visionari1

Locality
Great to see another BOTM poster :)
You seem have lots of improv ideas. It's inspiring hearing new licks. I feel like my own bag is running dry.

Warning: Recording the sax is ADDICTIVE! ;)

G'day Mate!:thumb:

Thanks Dubrosa...from across the ditch as we colonials say.

Hmmm (You seem have lots of improv ideas.) well yeah...its making them sound musical is where I fall short and getting them to fall with the chords, haven't nailed that at all...yet!

Anyones bag should not run dry, with the amount of influence and opportunity to hear master players, some of which have indeed posted on this very thread!

dubrosa22

Locality
Sydney, Australia
I think I might have to work a bit harder on my tone, 'cos that was my alto, not my tenor :D
Cripes I'm always doing that around here! I can't tell an alto from a soprano often either :/
Good tone is good tone in my book :)

AlanT

Locality
Mechanic Falls, Maine
How about DANNY BOY for July? ..or has a tune been chosen already?

OP
thesaxman71

thesaxman71

OP
thesaxman71

thesaxman71

A big thank you to all the people who have made this BOTM special with many great versions posted and enthusiasm shown in comments.
It is now time i hand over the job of hosting the BOTM selection for July to Vaughan better known as dubrosa22.
I hope you find it as enjoyable and rewarding as i have found it.
regards,
Ian, thesaxman71

Last edited by a moderator:

visionari1

Locality
Yeah Ian, that would set the tone for some improvisation of the wild humorous kind...luck of the Irish is right!

I was heading to do some busking in Ireland by bike a few years ago but a truck in Southampton put paid to that!
Danny boy was one of the essential tunes for Ireland...so who knows....I'm all healed now!

Jamesmac

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6