All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

watches

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Before I subscribe a forum about watches, where I will realize that only expensive pieces made in 1962-63 are worth wearing,
is anyone knowledgeable about automatic watches and straps?

dexdex

Before I subscribe a forum about watches, where I will realize that only expensive pieces made in 1962-63 are worth wearing,
is anyone knowledgeable about automatic watches and straps?
What exactly do you mean by knowledgeable ? In this part of the world, there is some knowledge about watches around ...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
What exactly do you mean by knowledgeable ? In this part of the world, there is some knowledge about watches around ...
Really? I thought production was moved abroad, except a few top brands....:)

I am thinking of buying an automatic watch, for the sake of it. Vintage is an option, but I do not rule out modern makes.
The only thing I like NOT to have, is a battery inside it.

Any suggestion/opinion/rant is welcome.

Fraser Jarvis

is anyone knowledgeable about automatic watches
Yeah, don't waste your money on one....ever, i bought a new Omega back in 2003 it started loosing time at like a minute a week, before being sorted, then when the warranty ran out it got worse than ever to the point that it was loosing at least a minute a day! i sold it last year on ebay and only lost about £180 from the new price of £1100 so not bad i guess, as I'm sat here typing this I'm wearing my Casio "work" watch that is that scratched i can bearly see the time, but it's never lost or gained in the three years I've had it, it was about £30 as i recall!

dexdex

The first question will be: budget ?
If you want a swiss made (whatever rate of REALLY swiss content that means) automatic, CHF 300.- (= £ 200.-) seems a minimum.
For a real choice, CHF 1000.- (= £ 700.-) is a good budget. This goes for straight steel+leather watches with date.
If you want a chronograph, you should double the budget.
These are swiss market prices, we have a strong competition (really ?....), and a low VAT rate.

Brands with fair prices to look at:
Longines, Tissot, Baume&Mercier, Zeno Watches, Mido, Maurice Lacroix, Oris, Frédérique Constant, Raymond Weil...

dexdex

Yeah, don't waste your money on one....ever, i bought a new Omega back in 2003 it started loosing time at like a minute a week, before being sorted, then when the warranty ran out it got worse than ever to the point that it was loosing at least a minute a day! i sold it last year on ebay and only lost about £180 from the new price of £1100 so not bad i guess, as I'm sat here typing this I'm wearing my Casio "work" watch that is that scratched i can bearly see the time, but it's never lost or gained in the three years I've had it, it was about £30 as i recall!
Who the hell wears an automatic watch to know the time ? I have my smartphone for this....

This is my Zeno.
Zeno&Ref54.jpg

It costs less than CHF 400.-, and... I adjust it once a week.;}

Last edited by a moderator:

Fraser Jarvis

If you want a chronograph, you should double the budget.
My Omega was a chronograph (as opposed to a chronometer with the extra dials) absolute waste of money, i also once bought a new Seiko automatic divers watch that was about £250 new, that gained time like crazy!!!

Longines, Tissot, Baume&Mercier, Zeno Watches, Mido, Maurice Lacroix, Oris, Frédérique Constant, Raymond Weil...
I really like the Graham watches but really don't want to spend that kind of dosh on something that may or may not do it's primary function properly!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
This is a very good starting point! I guess I will have to start with the minimum. For that price I might find a vintage one too.

Funny watch related coincidences: I was browsing for Selmes Soloist specifics, I found the Selmer watch, made in Besancon, where I happened to go last year.
Besancon is near the Swiss border, and they had a big watch industry, now almost disappeared. A relative of mine lives there and gave me most of the tools I use for basic repairs, all coming from the watch industry. (and I bought one of my best playing clarinets, Leblanc LL for €300)

Fraser, I must agree with Dexdex, wearing a automatic watch to know the time is like buying a 10m to play in tune.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator

dexdex

the watch is beautiful, but why that finish on the saxophone? (I am joking).

I thought there is a "register" screw somewhere in a mechanical watch to adjust it.
I'm no fan of that Ref54 finish. In the meantime, all the taiwanese pseudo-french brands are doing them like this, and Selmer can concentrate again on making good horns. T'was not my horn anyway ....

On basic automatic watches, the standard crown (? = couronne en français) will wind (which you normally don't need) in position 0, adjust date/day pulled-out in position 1, and time pulled-out more in position 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I HATE that Ref54 finish. In the meantime, all the taiwanese pseudo-french brands are doing them like this, and Selmer can concentrate on making good horns again. T'was not my horn anyway ....

On basic automatic watches, the standard crown (? = couronne en français) will wind (which you normally don't need) in position 0, adjust date/day pulled-out in position 1, and time pulled-out more in position 2.
I was thinking about something inside the case with "+ and -" to speed it up or slow it down in the range of one minute a week.

dexdex

I was thinking about something inside the case with "+ and -" to speed it up or slow it down in the range of one minute a week.
Sorry, I didn't get it. Yes, indeed. Many automatics now have a transparent back, and you can see that adjustment dial. This should be left to an experienced pro, as he will know how far to adjust. My Zeno is in it's 6th year now, and I never had it opened.

jonf

I've got about a dozen mechanical watches. Wouldn't wear anything else. A modern Oris diver is my daily wearer, tough as old boots and accurate to about 6 sec a day. I also have a range of others, some dressy ones, a few vintage, depending on my mood. I like them because they have some old fashioned engineering and manufacture in them. You can get a decent mechanical watch from about £150, or a really nice Swiss watch with nice ETA movement in (what you find in most Swiss mechanicals, including Oris, Omega, etc) from about £400 up. Lovely things, but you do need to accept you could get better timekeeping from a Chinese quartz for a tenner. They're just a form of male jewelry.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I've got about a dozen mechanical watches. Wouldn't wear anything else. A modern Oris diver is my daily wearer, tough as old boots and accurate to about 6 sec a day. I also have a range of others, some dressy ones, a few vintage, depending on my mood. I like them because they have some old fashioned engineering and manufacture in them. You can get a decent mechanical watch from about £150, or a really nice Swiss watch with nice ETA movement in (what you find in most Swiss mechanicals, including Oris, Omega, etc) from about £400 up. Lovely things, but you do need to accept you could get better timekeeping from a Chinese quartz for a tenner. They're just a form of male jewelry.
You got it.
Any suggestion? Any knowledge about the low price vintage market here in uk?

And a yamaha 25 is more in tune than a King super20 silversonic.

rhysonsax

Watches interest me a bit and I am constantly amazed at just how ugly the majority of the designs are.

I generally like clear and uncluttered design (of most things) and many watch face designs seem to be trying too hard to be different from other brands. The really busy chronograph watch faces and the enormous fat-bodied watches are the worst for me.

I have seen a few Rado watches that are OK, but really not special enough to justify the prices. I think that watches, along with fountain pens and some luggage, are among the goods with the biggest profit margins and unjustified retail prices.

Any tips for good brands and models ?

Rhys

old git

Tremendous Bore
The CaSLM recommends Bootleg Casios and for real street credibility, a black plastic knobbly Casio strap.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Watches interest me a bit and I am constantly amazed at just how ugly the majority of the designs are.

I generally like clear and uncluttered design (of most things) and many watch face designs seem to be trying too hard to be different from other brands. The really busy chronograph watch faces and the enormous fat-bodied watches are the worst for me.
totally agree!
I am hooked here now. Not a bad price for an Japan made automatic watch, and the dial will look amazing with only £20 more

http://www.fewsome.com/studion

navarro

Hi aldevis, I bought in 1998 an Oris Jazz limited edition 1997 with McCoy Tyner (when still a teenager pianist with theJohn Coltrane quartet) signature engraved on back. Great watch never loses and has never been in for repair. I wear it swimming, weight training etc. so it withstands shocks and shakes. Only thing I regret doing is changing the leather strap for a metal one. It cost £680.00 1998 but I have been told you can pick them up on Ebay for about £500.00. They are a limited edition only 555 ever made mine is No.245. Great watch fully automatic 27 jewels. Good luck and regds N.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom