support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tenor Viol's musings

Tonight was regular Thursday night orchestra with a twist - conductor was away and asked me to stand in for him... So tonight I conducted movements 2, 3, and 4 of Dvorak Symphony #9, La Calinda by Delius, and Elgar Pomp and Circumstance #4 (for those of a certain age, I think that was the old ITV intermission music just before it resumed broadcasting in the afternoon?)

Yesterday was concert day playing cello at the concert hall at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire. The 'Summer Fiesta' programme (while it hammered down with rain at 11C) included Chabrier's Espana, Bernstein's suite from West Side Story, film music such as Dances with Wolves, The Big Country, Live and Let Die, Piazolla's Libertango etc.

Sadly, no-one I knew was in the audience. I know some people on here were unable to attend due to other commitments.

Noctilucent clouds (from Latin meaning 'night shining') are a moderately rare atmospheric phenomenon that can only seen at high northern/southern latitudes around 50 - 70 degrees. In the northern hemisphere they can only be seen during astronomical twilight which is early May to early August.

They are poorly understood, but are caused by ice crystals very high up - around 50 miles up. Bear in mind that almost all weather occurs no more than around 5 - 10 miles up.

I live at latitude around 53 deg north. You need to look to the northern horizon. You will see bright wispy tendrils of cloud. They're bright because they are still in sunlight (because of their height) but you are in shadow. They tend to be bluish or silver.

They're not very common and last Wednesday I was walking back from the pub around 11.15pm and there was a good display of them. Photo below, taken with my phone.

I really love that photo and thank you for the interesting explanation. I have never known what causes this phenomenon, it’s beautiful.

Panorama created by stitching three photos together - this is a low res image, full size its 45mb. Waterfalls in the Brecon Beacons, early July. About an hour before I failed to execute a reverse somersault clambering down a cliff...

In other news, 59 year-olds should not attempt rugby drills.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2df6.jpg

Not satisfied with attempting a triple reverse somersault off a cliff last month (and failing), this month I have a complete rupture (tear) of an Achilles tendon. That's 2 months' of wearing some weird ski-boot like thing starting later this week (an dI have to wear it in bed) followed by anything from 2 months to a years' worth physiotherapy...

Not satisfied with attempting a triple reverse somersault off a cliff last month (and failing), this month I have a complete rupture (tear) of an Achilles tendon. That's 2 months' of wearing some weird ski-boot like thing starting later this week (an dI have to wear it in bed) followed by anything from 2 months to a years' worth physiotherapy...
Ouch! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Again, thanks for sharing your life experiences with us on the other side of the pond.

Back
Top Bottom