holly  All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities holly
SYOS

Tenor Viol's musings

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Well, I lost all of yesterday too. So, I had chamber music session and they managed to move the string orchestra downstairs to enable me to play, but that was all that could be re-arranged.
I won't bore you with the courier saga, suffice it to say that if I'm lucky it arrives today, which means I lose most of today as well, which is the last main day as tomorrow its performances. I might get to play in the string orchestra one, but I won't be able to play in wind band, concert orchestra, or big band as the last session of any of those I played in was Sunday.
The only ray of sunshine was I was asked in a gap in proceedings yesterday if I could play cello for a read through of the Schumann Piano Quintet, so I said 'yes'. Difficult work, but it worked surprisingly well, only a few seriously difficult passages to survive...

View: https://youtu.be/UQQxpJ7Pn1g

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
The only ray of sunshine was I was asked in a gap in proceedings yesterday if I could play cello for a read through of the Schumann Piano Quintet, so I said 'yes'. Difficult work, but it worked surprisingly well, only a few seriously difficult passages to survive...
A fantastic piece of music. What a wonderful opportunity - I’m envious!

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
A fantastic piece of music. What a wonderful opportunity - I’m envious!
It was really good to play and to be fair a lot of it was OK for a read through. The pianist was fantastic.

I did manage to play in the big band last night, but apart for one piece, all the others I had seen once two hours earlier... First public outing of the baritone. Just annoyed that the reed tip split as I was adjusting the mouthpiece and with my current infirmity I couldn't nip over to my case to get another reed.

1566545023643.jpeg

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
One very unhappy Tenor Viol. As I got out of bed on Tuesday morning, I felt the boot (remember this is the second one) 'give'. I sat down and could see that the top disc had bent and the locking pin had partially come out. So, it's another trip to the physio. Some brute force re-located the pin, but I felt very wary that it might give way. The worry being that if it did give way under load, my foot would 'flatten' which could re-tear the Achilles' tendon.
So getting around suddenly got much harder as I put as little weight as feasible on left leg and take weight on crutches.
Manage OK until Friday evening. In the house I walk with one crutch very close to my left leg to make sure it takes the weight. I felt the boot 'give'. Sit down, take it off and have a look. The top disc is bent again and the pin has come out. Closer inspection and it looks like the pin has sheared off.
Friend who is an engineer comes round with some tools. His view is it's badly engineered and overly complex/fussy. If the pin was inserted from the other side and then locked with an Allen key so it couldn't move, it would be more effective. Like me he thinks the double disc plus locking pin is too error prone. A sliding wedge under the sole would have the same effect and be much more reliable.
Pin has been located and the cover plate fixed in place with gaffer tape.
I'm even less convinced that it will hold than ever. I'm due to see consultant Monday evening and I will have words about it.
I'm now virtually housebound and tbh feeling fairly sorry for myself. This has been going on for nearly a month now. Last night's plans (only local) I ditched. Today's plans, which involved train to Manchester and a short walk from the station, also ditched. Even doing the laundry is hard work. I had to throw everything down the stairs, pick it up, throw it in the kitchen, pick it up throw it into the utility room. Etc.
Might be a while before normal levels of grumpiness are restored.
IMG_3200.JPG

nigeld

Subscriber
I would say that your chances of winning Strictly Come Dancing this year are quite limited.
You will almost certainly be eliminated at the quickstep stage.

Seriously though - it sounds like a very badly designed product. I wonder how they manage to keep selling it.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
OK so after speaking to consultant earlier in the week, it was a visit to North Staffs fracture clinic this morning and I was fitted with a completely different design of boot - no articulated hinges to fail. It's so much easier to walk in this one (still not much fun) and I don't have to put quite so much weight into the crutches...

I'm still not going to win awards on Strictly though....
CE2DC55C-8B77-4553-9450-3AC66251817B.jpg

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Meanwhile...

I have kept quiet about an aspect of my musical life which is undergoing a major change - singing. My first practical experience as an amateur musician started in my mid-30s when I decided I wanted to learn to sing. I never aspired to singing solo - I wanted to sing wonderful choral music (especially Renaissance polyphony) in a choir. I started to have weekly lessons with my teacher Owen (who sadly died a couple of years ago, but he was 90 by then). After assessing my voice, he decided I was a light baritone / upper bass and that is the voice I have sing since then.

I've been aware for a long time that my voice is slightly unusual in that I was able to bang out top Ds, Es, and even Fs and F#s, with relative impunity (and provided you give me a weeks' written notice you might get a G - which I had to do singing Mahler Symphony #2 some years ago). I was reasonably resonant down to the A or G at the bottom of the bass clef, but bottom F# or F was an 'on' or 'off' note and I couldn't do much else with it. If I was on a weekend workshop or a week's summer school or something singling a lot, then my range would extend down perhaps to Eb.

Anyway, for various reasons I haven't sung with any choirs for 4 years now. Earlier this year I was invited to attend a Kodàly workshop and I had a session with a very renowned vocal coach. I explained my range issues and how despite having a strong top range, if I sang say second tenor in a day workshop (which baritones often get asked to do if there's a shortage of tenors) my voice would tire very quickly.

He assessed my voice an spent a lot of time getting me to do all sorts of vocal exercises (this guy is seriously good - he's a Brit but is a leading consultant/coach for French opera and music theatre singers in Paris). His view was that 'baritones don't sing top Ds or Es the way you do. Nor top Fs. Nor the Gs, As, Bs and top C we've just done...' . His conclusion was that I am not a baritone but a 1st (upper) tenor...

So I asked why was I assessed as a baritone back in 1993? And he said that men's voices don't fully settle until mid-30s and at 33 I might not have quite fully settled. As to why do I tire when I attempt to sing say second (lower) tenor, he said the problem is that I have been trying sing up there with the voice set-up of a baritone, so I've been carrying all the 'weight' and pressure of singing baritone up there and it's not needed.

So I decided to find a new voice teacher and to start singing lessons again for the first time since 1999. I've been having lessons with a professional opera singer whose story is similar to mine - he trained as a baritone, but realised he was a tenor, so he's had to go through similar process. I've had about 6 lessons now and the focus has been on unlearning stuff and learning how to sing (e.g. how to phonate) in an entirely different way releasing all the tensions and locks in my voice.

Today was more vocal exercises and we were up to top Bb and sang my first piece with him today as a tenor rather than as a baritone (well known to anyone who has had traditional singing lessons - Caro mio ben by Giodarni
View: https://youtu.be/iQ_xRL3uxTA
)

nigeld

Subscriber
I remember singing that about 50 years ago.

So when are we going to hear Nessun Dorma? >:)

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Let me help with the actual words....

O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis,
semper crescis
aut decrescis;
vita detestabilis
nunc obdurat
et tunc curat
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.
Sors immanis
et inanis,
rota tu volubilis,
status malus,
vana salus
semper dissolubilis,
obumbrata
et velata
michi quoque niteris;
nunc per ludum
dorsum nudum
fero tui sceleris.
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Busy day for cello yesterday. One Saturday each term there is a string play day on the Wirral, which I've been going to for a few years. Yesterday was the autumn day.

It was a fair sized group with about 35 violins, 10 violas, 12 cellos, and one double bass. On this occasion we also had a harp.

Repertoire was the Adagietto from Mahler Symphony #5 (for the film buffs - used in Death in Venice) and Vaughan Williams Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus.

It was a good day. Just my leg making logistics difficult.

View: https://youtu.be/Q8-kz5pHM-E

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Let me help with the actual words....

O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis,
semper crescis
aut decrescis;
vita detestabilis
nunc obdurat
et tunc curat
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.
Sors immanis
et inanis,
rota tu volubilis,
status malus,
vana salus
semper dissolubilis,
obumbrata
et velata
michi quoque niteris;
nunc per ludum
dorsum nudum
fero tui sceleris.
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes
Let me be even more helpful....
O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing,
ever waning,
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice
fate – monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is vain
and always fades to nothing,
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy
fate is against me
in health
and virtue,
driven on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.
so at this hour
without delay
pluck the vibrating strings;
since Fate
strikes down the strong man,
everyone weep with me!

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Those lyrics for O Fortuna looks like a list of Harry Potter spells.:)
It's a Medieval Latin poem. There's a wiki about it here including a translation. Many of the Latin words in it have related English words:

O Fortuna - O fate (and we use 'fortune' to mean 'fate'
luna = moon hence lunar
variabilis - changeable hence variable
obdurat - oppresses = obdurate

etc.

EDIT - posting with Targa crossed

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom