SYOS

Tenor Viol's musings

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Well, physio rang, the boot contraption has arrived. He's spoken to the surgeon and he'll fit it on Monday... cue 2 months of wearing it all day every day (including to bed...).

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Can you drive, conduct and play sax while wearing the boot? You have commitments to fill at the cafe septet:D
I'll know on Monday whether driving is feasible. I drive an automatic and it's my left foot, so I'm hoping so or life will be very difficult given I live on my own and I have very few people who live anywhere vaguely nearby (my brother is about 55 miles away).

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Sadly, the ski boot contraption which enabled me to get around reasonably well, was faulty and it broke yesterday. It was showing some signs of distress when it gave way as I was coming down some stairs. I had a shoot of pain in my leg as my Achilles re-tore. I managed to get to the physio clinic even though I'm away on holiday (fortunately it's a music summer school that is not too far away).
A new boot is being couriered across to them today. My options were: have foot plastered, have foot strapped. I opted for latter.
I now have very limited mobility. My crutches have to take all of my weight as I cannot put any weight on left foot. Stairs are virtually impossible. I cannot carry anything. Just as well the rental apartment is very small as I can put cup or plate on end of counter, move to seat then reach over... This would not be possible if I was at home.
I missed orchestra and big band at summer school yesterday afternoon, and I am going to struggle to do much today (tonight is meant to be chamber music recital and I'm playing in two groups - a cello trio and a wind quintet).
I am hoping that new boot will get fitted by end of today.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
You do seem to be having very bad luck at the moment. :(
Don’t be heroic with regards to playing - just accept that you are temporarily disabled and the others will have to cope.

I hope that your new ski boot works better than the old one and that your luck improves.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
You do seem to be having very bad luck at the moment. :(
Don’t be heroic with regards to playing - just accept that you are temporarily disabled and the others will have to cope.

I hope that your new ski boot works better than the old one and that your luck improves.
Yeah well manufacturers are being something unprintable and won’t send a new email be until old one received... physio has ordered one from a different supplier. So tomorrow at best. I am beyond hacked off.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
hmmm predictive text on Macs is something else... "Won't send new boot until old one received...."
Because the summer school I am at is in a Grade 1 listed building, and the local authority that runs it doesn't seem to spend any money on it, the disability access is extremely poor. All of the rehearsal spaces are on an upper floor, to which the only access is via several flights of stairs. There is no lift. So I have been unable to be in any rehearsal sessions since Monday lunchtime, with the exception of the one hour chamber music rehearsal yesterday morning (so that's meant no string orchestra, no wind band, no concert orchestra, and no big band). You may be surprised to learn that I am grumpy. If I'm lucky, it'll be resolved today, but that's half of my summer school down the drain - tomorrow is last day of main sessions as Friday is main concert/performance day.

Top Bottom