Tutorials

Tenor Viol's musings

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Some interesting info here on HEIC:
Complete guide to the HEIC image format replacing JPEG in iOS 11
I junked Adobe a few years ago after almost 30 years of use as a faithful follower, daily user and many, many dollar updates.
I now use Affinity Photo, from a U.K. based software company. Don't know off-hand if the program supports HEIC.
The .jpeg format reduces and approximates pixels in order to condense image bit size, the image loses defintion, focus and sharpness depending on the amount of reduction.
Until I read your post I wasn't aware of HEIC, thanks for the tip.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Happy to help - even inadvertently! @spike. I use the Affinity desk top publishing product (available at the moment as a beta only). I am getting fed-up with PS as I'm not prepared to go the subscription route and PSE I increasingly find to be buggy

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Yes, Agree, I use Affinity Photo, Designer and the Beta Publishing, they're far superior to Adobe and very reasonably priced in comparison.
The work books from Affinity are also worth a punt. They're not Handbooks as such but very helpful indeed.
Adobe blew it when they went down the subscription route.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
I'm struggling a little with playing sax at the moment. Partly it's lack of motivation, partly it's too much other stuff running around which is getting in the way. It doesn't help when you have a sax lesson and reeds misbehave. I had a lesson last night and first reed gave up after 20 minutes. So I put another reed on which promptly split after 10 minutes... I'd lost the will to live by then

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
My experience has been that I get flat spots where nothing seems to improve much and it is difficult to stay motivated. I think one just has to plod on until something moves again. For me, having a teacher helps, because it forces me to keep practicing.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
My experience has been that I get flat spots where nothing seems to improve much and it is difficult to stay motivated. I think one just has to plod on until something moves again. For me, having a teacher helps, because it forces me to keep practicing.
I’d agree with @nigeld there.

I find that I get plateaux and seem to spend weeks making no actual progress.
But I keep plodding away, practice stuff I enjoy, work on particular areas slowly, and then a few weeks later I seem to have “cracked” something, or someone else make a positive observation and all those weeks stuck in the doldrums suddenly seem worthwhile.

On Monday, I went to a rehearsal with my piano accompanist. I hadn’t seen (needed) him in about a year, but we are performing in 2 weeks time. When we’d finished he commented about how my tone had improved. I had spent weeks working on it, but not really thinking I was getting anywhere, so it was good to get feedback from someone other than my sax teacher.

rhysonsax

I've ordered some plastic reeds for both tenor and bari - they should arrive Monday.
Which ones did you go for ?

I have tried many different brands and models of plastic reed and Legere Signature get me close to a good cane reed. But, for me, they are not as good as the best cane. Cane reeds are very variable but I have settled on Rigotti Gold (or their sister, also made by Rigotti, namely Lupifaro) - they are remarkably consistent and long lasting.

Rhys

Wonko

That happens with everything that one needs to learn. I've noticed it with many activities and whilst learning new skills.
Every now and then you have a period when things don't seem to progress anymore. Sometimes they even seem to regress.
Just keep practicing, don't get angry or upset. Perseverance will get you results.
I often say that every time you practice, you learn something.
Sometimes you learn "that's NOT how it should be done" :rolleyes:

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Members of the Café Sax Ensemble are used to having me stood there waving my hands and attempting to keep order... That is my only experience of conducting. Last night, I had the opportunity to conduct the orchestra I play cello in o a Thursday evening. Being half term, the MD was away as were some players.

So, rather than playing our current repertoire, we had a go at the Spohr Nonet, with me conducting... It went well and they all seemed happy with my conducting... o_O

fullsizeoutput_a29.jpeg

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
@rhysonsax I decided to try the Bari plastic reeds and went with 'medium'. I tried the tenor one the other evening at my lesson but it seemed a bit stiff - could be me, I'm not playing enough... Might get a chance to try some Rees tomorrow at the sax day in Liverpool

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
Subscriber
@rhysonsax I decided to try the Bari plastic reeds and went with 'medium'. I tried the tenor one the other evening at my lesson but it seemed a bit stiff - could be me, I'm not playing enough... Might get a chance to try some Rees tomorrow at the sax day in Liverpool
I bought a Bari reed for my tenor a couple of years ago. Although it was marked 'soft', I can hardly get a squeak out of it.
Legere Signature or Fibracell suit me best.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
. . . and very nice too. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bari and sop in quick succession.
It's good to see the GAS flame burning brightly in the Cafe. >:)

So I'm wondering whether the next one will be a bass or a sopranino?
Or maybe the elusive alto in F.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom