SYOS

Tenor Viol's musings

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Got the repertoire through for next BGSO concert last night. OK so it’s challenging. Main work is Sibelius symphony #5. Brass and percussion get to play Copland’s Fanfare for the Common Man. Strings get the Adagietto from Mahler Symphony #5 (used in Death in Venice).
The Mahler starts in F, spends a while in Eb minor (6 flats) then E major (4 sharps) and finally back to F.
We get a play day in February when members of CBSO will be tutoring us.
I’ll post an event in case anyone is interested in the concert in March.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Finished my week of skiing - new ski goggles give me the Darth Vader or perhaps Judge Dredd look. Currently sat in Turin airport waiting to return to Manchester. I’m wondering if wearing my ski helmet and goggles would improve the septet’s performance: your sense of rhythm disappoints me...

Attachments

Vetinari

Finished my week of skiing - new ski goggles give me the Darth Vader or perhaps Judge Dredd look. Currently sat in Turin airport waiting to return to Manchester. I’m wondering if wearing my ski helmet and goggles would improve the septet’s performance: your sense of rhythm disappoints me...
Add ear plugs and we'll sound fantastic

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
OK on my return to UK I have discovered that Adobe need a good kicking. I've been a user of Photoshop Elements for about 15 years, currently on PSE2018. Apple have switched their photo format from JPEG to HEIC since iOS 11. Now HEIC is not an Apple proprietary format, it is in fact a new format from the people who devised MPEG etc. and designed to provide better images quality that JPEG (which is grossly over-compressed - but to be fair, that was part of its original purpose when storage costs were high).)

Despite being around for a couple of years now, Adobe have still not set-up processing to handle the format, despite all iPhones using it that are on iOS11 and beyond.

Failure to support users could cost Adobe dear - they pushed their luck with subscription based 'ownership' of the full version of Photoshop (and is why I don't have it). It's not as if iPhone users are a small segment of the market...

It ws the below photo that led to the discovery as I wanted to edit my shadow out of the picture... For this e who like their stats, this was taken with my phone fl4.2mm f/1.8 1/8,000s exposure at ISO 25

bqqmHg3VRNqCp+X%wSzHIA.jpg

Last edited:

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
There is a setting on the iPhone to choose between JPEG or HEIC. I have left it on JPEG - too hard to share photos otherwise.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I have decided on principle not to be an early adopter.
It takes ages for the Windows world to support Apple formats, if ever.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
The retirement countdown timer on my phone has reached 386 days to go.... pedantically that's the countdown to my 60th birthday, but it will be around then...

I will clock 40 years working this year in July.

The astute amongst you will realise that my 59th birthday is not far away... I have found in recent years that the run up gives me pause for thought.

rhysonsax

It sounds like you will have plenty to keep you busy post-retirement, when that comes.

Hopefully you are confident that your financial position will be OK. That's something i just can't work out, as there are so many unknowns. The history book I am reading at the moment covers 1880-1914 and includes the introduction of the state pension in the UK. It makes sobering reading in terms of what came before and also the age at which it came in.

Rhys

PS Happy 59th soon.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Let's just say @rhysonsax I'm lucky that I work in IT in financial services, so plenty of knowledgeable people around. My final salary pension got shredded in 2010 and ceased to accrue benefits. I was faced with a pension that would have been half of what I was expecting... Assistance of a good independent financial advisor has rescued things.

OP
tenorviol

tenorviol

Subscriber
Last Saturday had an unusual rehearsal with my orchestra in Birmingham. We usually rehearse on Sunday afternoons alternate weeks 1 - 5. This was all day Saturday at the Midlands Arts Centre in Birmingham (by Edgbaston cricket ground). The focus was on Sibelius symphony #5. In the afternoon, we had members of City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra come in to provide some professional coaching. We also had a photographer in taking pics for the web site, programmes etc. Evidently my desk partner (not my usual one - she's currently away in Oregon) was the centre of focus as I'm blurred...

BGSO MAC with CBSO.jpg

Top Bottom