Reviews Saxmute One tenor saxophone mute review

OP
Janosax

Janosax

The iRig Pro i/o audio interface with XLR inline -20db pad attenuator, now Inside the mute:

IMG_2040 (1).jpg

The powerbank which provides power to iPhone, audio interface and condenser mic:

IMG_2041 (1).jpg

The tBone SC400 large capsule compact condenser mic:

IMG_2042 (1).jpg

The whole Inside:

IMG_2039 (1).jpg

Carter

Hi, I appreciate this thread is from a long time ago now, but I have just purchased a second hand sax mute one for my tenor. The stand within the mute to hold the sax is not very good and offers little support so I find that I have to balance the sax within it. Could you let me know if you had a similar issue and if so, how did you resolve it? Thanks!

Al Ex

I can't help you, sorry. I have the alto model and no stand built in the mute.

By the way, it's been a while since I last came here, so here's my take on this piece of gear.

I was quite enthusiastic at first, thinking I'd be able to practice whenever I wanted without disturbing anyone, but in the end this mute is almost useless for me and I feel really disappointed with it.

It arrived broken but still usable, and using it with a Hercules stand makes it almost impossible to make some fingerings properly. The magnet used for sealing the mute went off very quickly and has to be glued regularly. This and some other aspects make it unusable for me. I found my personal experience to be very different to what I expected when viewing some videos on the internet.

I've seen they make a new model and have been thinking I could give it a try, but considering the huge cost (almost 400€ with taxes) I gave up with this idea.

Again, this is only my point of view based on my experience and I'm not a very skilled player. I know others are rather happy with their mutes.

OP
Janosax

Janosax

@Carter the sax holder inside the mute needs to be adjusted. Just bend the metal to make it much firmer on the sax bell. You will also have to adjust holder position to allow good sax placement in the mute, for your hands ease of playing, free neck lever movement, etc. The bottom part which can be made a metal holder of piece of foam will certainly need to be adjusted/trimmed too for proper sax height position. That is not RTP (ready to play!!), took me one hour for good adjustments the first time, and never touched it again after that. Also, it’s needed IMO to add some foam for the neck and a Velcro strap for the bow, your sax will be perfectly stable. See this #20 post quoted:

Here is my last track made with this Saxmute One : Madreeon

I improved my compact studio a lot, here are some pics.

Whole mute with sax Inside:

View attachment 10295

I added a velcro between mute bottom mount and sax bow:

View attachment 10296

And some foam for the neck. Both mods improves ergonomy, as sax dont move at all Inside mute:

View attachment 10297

View attachment 10299

OP
Janosax

Janosax

@Al Ex sorry to read about your issues. Have you adjusted the holder for good hands placement like mentioned in my post above? The Hercules stand should not cause issues with fingerings. I also had some glueing issues with my model, and they sent me a new mute free of charge with no gluing issues. So I have two mutes :cool: That being said, the freedom this mutes gave me from start was such a joy that it wasn’t such or an issue for me. I can however understand your frustration. Perhaps try to adjust sax position, add microphone and headphones and see if your experience is different :) Still use mine almost everyday since nearly three years and still very happy with it.

Al Ex

Actually, the alto mute I have doesn't have any sax holder inside, only a metal part that allows me to put the mute on the stand. Since the sax is held inside the mute by the Hercules stand, I cannot really set the proper height required for comfortable hand placement. Anyway that's not a problem anymore since I gave up trying tu use it long ago ;) .

I sometimes try to play with it again, thinking maybe I did something wrong with my previous attempts, but I always end disappointed, having to struggle with the two parts that never really fit one with another, glueing issues, and in the end insufficient (for my needs) noise reduction...

Maybe I have a defective model, too. I don't know.

OP
Janosax

Janosax

@Al Ex You can always try to contact them about your issues, I had really good support. About noise reduction, past 11pm I like to have stronger mute power and use both sax mute one and Lebayle orange sponge mute inside the sax, that way with quiet playing measured dB at 1 meter with a sonometer is around 65 dB. I played yesterday until 2.00 am. With sax mute one only, my loudest note tend to be around 95 dB which is around 115 dB without mute. With no mute, my average level is 100/105 dB, and with sax mute one it’s 85/90. This is while playing without restricting myself. It’s like talking loud, which is ok during the day, this is why I add the sponge mute for night playing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom