• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?

Ivan

Undecided
Messages
8,530
Location
Peeblesshire
Not a political question, of course, and there's no need to discuss the DT

But, I've recently been in the market for an alto sax and watched the price, new, of a particular make and model rise over a few weeks, even before this week's tariffs were initiated

Given that sax parts for country-specific makes are often sourced from China, it looks to me that even the humble sax might be affected in price or availability, in some, or perhaps all countries... But I ain't an economist, so any informed discussion appreciated
 
Prices in general will be higher. Inflatation is probably going to increase as well. But the tombola in USA is still running ...... so wait and see.
 
Not a political question
but is very likely to get some political replies, I hope not but if we stick to facts and figures and economics in general without discussing the merits or not of US policy over tariffs we might just be OK.
 
Last edited:
Of course it's political - not because of the US etc. But it's capitalism. Capitalism is a political choice and requires companies to maximise profits.

There is a Phil Spector hanging over Europe...
Come the revolution; from each according to their playing ability, too each according to their sound concept.
Now, mines a Cuba libre :cheers:
 
Other than inflation, which will do its own thing as always, I presume that unless you actually buy a horn from the states you’ll be ok. Plenty of choice.
Not so much as far as mouthpieces and reeds though, they could be affected.
 
I think it's fair to say that the cost of any potential trade war will likely be shouldered by the consumer at least in part. There will no doubt be a slew of retaliatory counter tariffs and it will take some time for the dust to settle.

Manufacturing is more distributed than it has ever been before, as in: products are manufactured from parts produced in many different countries and locations.
 
Looking at this from the perspective of a UK "manufacturer" of saxophones, TJ, Hanson, I wonder if their imported Chinese parts to the UK will increase in price due to China deciding to hike prices generally to all countries, in order to maintain profits, rather than pricing China out of the US market by upping prices solely in that direction?
Spreading the US tariff in this way is what I'd do.

I had a brief think about manufacturing pads here and selling to the US... let's see what tariff a competitor, Pisoni, will pay to the US... hmmm, Italy pays zero? Mafia?

It's the US car manufacturers who will reverse this nonsense when it's realised that all US car manufacturers will suffer from tariffs on the vast amount of imported parts and steel. It'll add 20-30% to a US customer's new car purchase.
 
will increase in price due to China deciding to hike prices generally to all countries, in order to maintain profits,
I'm not sure, in general, that's right in general - Although it depends on the product and market.

In general, a factory is happy when it's operating near maximum capacity, it minimises fixed overheads. If you lose a market somewhere, you should be looking to expand somewhere else to keep the widgets flowing out the door... Upto some level, even a bit discounted.
I rather suspect that a lot of "own brand" and "no name" goods originate out of manufacturing producing more than "brand names" can sell and shifting the excess at a discount.
Really, there should be some amount of the Rest of the World seeing more, cheaper stuff available.
Again, depends on the goods and markets shape. Inelastic, oligopolistic sectors can price gouge like the energy sector (although Oil price has fallen, so that works!)... But musical instrument stuff ... Not so much.
 
Perhaps it will help increase prices for vintage instruments and bring the shops more jobs since people will choose to rebuild and repair rather than replace. I think that the same will be true for other durable items like automobiles.
 
Sax prices in the US will rise, that's pretty much a given. In the UK, what happens will depend on the spread of reciprocal tariffs, and how that affects the UK market. In terms of UK tariffs on US products, personally that won't impact me much, as I struggle to think of any US manufactured products I would buy. Certainly not sax related.

A more intangible and unavoidable longer term impact is the negative effect on world trade and what that does to depress the global economy. My expectation is that there will be a variable impact globally, with some degree of recession affecting most countries. To mitigate that risk, the UK could really do with being part of a large trading bloc, but that's not on the cards.
 
Oh, one other, non-music thing, given that we've drifted into vehicle discussions. Harley Davidson is widely predicted to go bust. For some reason I don't really get, Harley Davidson bikes are sold globally. When reciprocal tariffs in the EU and elsewhere are introduced, this will stop.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,280
Messages
576,607
Members
8,090
Latest member
nelius
Back
Top Bottom