• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?

Perhaps we could forcibly export Allegros for free to any country that imposes trade tarriffs on us - if they're free then no tax!

Oh and make sure it's the Vanden Plas model for extra eww.

2066-1-medium.webp
 
Increasing global costs, new geopolitical landscape, unholy constellations, climate crises ....... . Maybe we need the brass to make other things ..... plastic saxes is the future. You get more money if you recycle an old sax instead of selling it as an instrument.
 
You get more money if you recycle an old sax instead of selling it as an instrument.
We need to start a lamp stand and doorstop company.
China deciding to hike prices generally to all countries, in order to maintain profits,
How would they do this?
imposing a tax on exports?
Removing subsidies?

I didn’t see any other way, ie I don’t think it would work for the govt (ie “China”) to just tell all their companies to increase prices.
 
We need to start a lamp stand and doorstop company.
Selling point of those door stop wedges is that they are fire rated, Guaranteed to hold a fire rated door open for at least 1 hour during fire.
I didn’t see any other way, ie I don’t think it would work for the govt (ie “China”) to just tell all their companies to increase prices.
Like in all situations, we adapt. Even without the tarrifs, 4 years later, I have noticed prices for musical instruments here in US are up. I am glad that I bought a new Antigua Winds BS3220LQ Low A Bari 4 years ago on clearance for $2,500 US, taxes and shipment included. 10 years ago it was priced at $4,400 US on most mainline US Internet sales stores.

Now, even the Allora brand Chinese saxes are selling for easily $1,000 more US on those stores even without the tarrifs. The equivalent saxes to my Antigua are now easily hovering around the $6,500 US range new.

What this means is that one may opt to have their old sax repadded rather than opting for new.
 
American cars are not sold globally except for Tesla. I haven't been to the us for 20 years now, so I don't know how or if they improved. But as a general rule, I think that many US products are very poor simply because the market is not as demanding as the European one for example where products must suit various cultures and expectations.

A global economy is the only way forward. Competition should push companies to get better. Protectionism is bad news.
 
Usually I keep my silence as I desire not to delve into the political aspects as they can simply breed contention rather than harmony. But to a limited extent I will have this to say:
American cars are not sold globally except for Tesla. I haven't been to the us for 20 years now, so I don't know how or if they improved. But as a general rule, I think that many US products are very poor simply because the market is not as demanding as the European one for example where products must suit various cultures and expectations.
Being on the other side of the pond, I have opted to purchase "American Brand" cars for the reasons of parts and maintainability. Besides, the automakers are all "in bed" with each other. Lower end of Ford are generally Mazda, Chevrolet - Kia or Hyundai (both same manufacturer), Chrysler/Dodge - Fiat.

During Covid, those with European made cars, Mercedes, VW, etc. had cases where because the overseas supply chain was disrupted, may not have been able to have their cars repaired in a timely manner.

Besides, our Dodge Journey SUV is sold as the Fiat Freemont.
A global economy is the only way forward. Competition should push companies to get better. Protectionism is bad news.
Greatest problem here in US was exportation of nearly all manufacturing overseas, leaving us as an almost service only oriented economy. The current notion of tarrifs is bad because it worked when there were inherent industries inside the country to protect.

For example, similar happened to UK. Boosey & Hawkes was IMO a reputable musical instrument manufacturing company. I now own a couple of their clarinets varying in age from the 1950's through the 1970's. I gather that some of the years where for example, keywork was less than par was an attempt to compete with other manufacturers, which IMO were outside UK.

However, 2 are of Grenadilla wood without cracks and otherwise in excellent condition. These are the underdog Edgware models. With proper care and handling, they should last me a while. As an underdog, they are considered a doubling jazz musician's cost effective 2nd instrument to their sax. I paid less than $150 US for each. It may mean that a Ramen eating, surviving musician out there can continue to earn their keep in the music world. 😉

Similarly, US no longer has much instrument manufacturing inside the country. One time, there was a considerable manufacturing base locally. All those brands are now historic relics sold as used instruments, some of which continue to be musician favourites by a cottage industry of excellent repairers and refurbishers. I gather the same occurs also in UK and other European countries.

Protectionism helps maintain a manufacturing base inside a country, but with no longer a manufacturing base, the tarrifs do more harm than good.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,280
Messages
576,613
Members
8,090
Latest member
nelius
Back
Top Bottom