• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Yamaha YTS280 v Trevor James EVO (Tenor)

Bwlmog

New Member
Messages
4
Location
Bridgend
Level
Absolute Beginner
Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to the world of making music—I've never played a saxophone or any other instrument before! However, I've always loved the sound of the Tenor Saxophone.

I definitely lean toward the darker tones you hear in Soul and R&B, rather than the brighter, lighter sounds.

Right now, I'm trying to choose my first horn and I'm drawn between two options:

Yamaha YTS-280: This seems to be the gold standard for beginners. It gets excellent reviews everywhere, comes with a great warranty, and has a really solid repair network.

Trevor James EVO: This one is catching my ear because it's described as having that darker sound I’m naturally drawn to. However, it doesn't seem to have as many reviews, the warranty is weaker, and the repair network seems a bit more complicated here in the UK.

I'd love to hear of any experiences of these two horns. Specifically, I'm wondering whether the EVO would be a suitable student horn, and whether the EVO would benefit from adding a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece right out of the box.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any thoughts!
 
I'm hoping to get across to Headwind in Bristol. They stock both and have offered to demonstrate them both for me. There are loads of reviews about in the Yamaha and it seems like a solid choice, but there something about the EVO that appeals. Maybe it's because there's so little out there on reviews and personal experiences.
 
Hi Pete, I'm trying to find the original source. I definitely saw it mentioned on a Facebook group, but it didn't go into any real detail other than it had a darker, richer sound and something about it having a greater amount of brass in it's construction.

Finding any reviews of the TJ EVO has been hard work though. Whenever I find something it invariably turns out to be the alto rather than the tenor.
 
Either of these would be a fine choice. I’d lean toward the Yamaha, though, for two reasons.

1. You’re a beginner, both to the saxophone and playing music. Yamahas are a solid choice and less likely to have serious problems down the line, though Trevor James has a good reputation. Finding repair or maintenance for the Yamaha will be easier too. Finally, if you find a couple years down the road that you want a better horn, the Yamaha will be easier to sell on, and you’ll likely get a better price.

2. “Dark Sound” is really down to two things. The player and the mouthpiece. The saxophone itself plays very little role here. Not none, and a good quality instrument really helps a lot - but both your choices are good. Neither of these horns will hamper your ability to play in the style(s) you want.

I agree with the comments from Pete and Jeanette about trying the instrument if possible. Pay attention to how it feels in your hands, and choose the one which suits you best. If you know someone who plays saxophone, and can take them along with you, so much the better! Getting an unbiased opinion from an experienced player (that may be an oxymoron of sorts…) might help you in your decision.

Be sure and find a good teacher, especially for the first few months. Maybe even look for a teacher before you buy the horn - a good teacher might have suggestions. It’s better to get an opinion from a real player, rather than some old guy on the internet…. LOL. Good luck on your journey and welcome to the cafe!
 
@Bwlmog
This might be of help - a review of the EVO II alto, by @Stephen Howard.
TJ Evo II (2024) alto saxophone review
In his words "Tonewise it presents itself as an alto that takes a noticeable step towards the warmth and breadth of a tenor."

My teacher has both the TJ RAW alto and tenor, and to my ears they have a full, warm and rich sound, less bright than my Yamaha YAS-25 and YTS-32. He let me try them and they were nice, a bit heavier than the Yamas but nice under the fingers and easy to blow. I was quite tempted!

As you're going to Headwind you can (and should) try them there. It's a very personal choice.
 
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment. I'll take your advice and hold the two and ask them to play the instruments in store before making any decisions.

The horn is a 50th birthday present off my wife and kids. I'm hoping that whatever horn I get, it'll be something that I can hand down to my son in the future.

Another challenge will be finding a teacher. I live in Bridgend (South Wales) and there doesn't seem to be any, so looks like I'll either have to look at an online tutor or travel.
 
Welcome to the forum, @Bwlmog !
Be sure and find a good teacher, especially for the first few months. Maybe even look for a teacher before you buy the horn - a good teacher might have suggestions.
Agreed, a good way to start. A possible option may be to rent a saxophone initially, which then after gaining some experience will give time to hone in choices plus find a decent preferred one within budget, to continue one's sax journey.
It’s better to get an opinion from a real player, rather than some old guy on the internet…. LOL.
A lot of us resemble that old guy, 😆 :old:
 
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment. I'll take your advice and hold the two and ask them to play the instruments in store before making any decisions.
That's always the way to go - but you should be able to play them too. I think the longest I ever took to get a complete beginner to play a scale on a sax is 45 seconds - running from the B key down to the D.
Yeah, it'll be honky - but even a complete beginner will be able to say "That one was easier".

As for the choice between the TJ and the Yamaha, they square up to each other very nicely. The Evo's build quality is comparable (proper point screws and all) and that counts for a very great deal in my books.
The Yamaha has bags of cut and clarity, the Evo goes more for that mainstream tenor sound...and that's pretty much what the choice comes down to - though resale value on the Yamaha will always be higher. But that's a moot point if you're not going to sell it...or once you've put ten years on it.

As for the repair network, once you're out of warranty you need to find a good independent specialist. Most players do that the moment they buy a horn. It saves time.

And Headwind is a very fine store. You'll be properly looked after.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,282
Messages
576,706
Members
8,091
Latest member
Connfetto
Back
Top Bottom