• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?

Still no trace of tariffs on the one instrument I follow in this thread for a year. The only thing that changes is the value of the dollar/euro ratio. from 1.1453 to 1.1577.

7-31-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1453 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.253
Sweetwater us $6.579

8-10-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1639 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.304
Sweetwater us $6.579

8-17-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1702 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.327
Sweetwater us $6.579

8-30-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1700 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.327
Sweetwater us $4.999 temporary offer

9-4-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1657 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.311
Sweetwater us $6.579

9-22-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1773 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.354
Sweetwater us $6.579

10-22-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1609 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.293
Sweetwater us $6.579

12-13-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1740 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.341
Sweetwater us $6.579

01-27-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1880 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.393
Sweetwater us $6.579

08-18-2025 JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1577 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.281
Sweetwater us $6.579
 
I had been overstocked on reeds in general for a while, but I found that I actually was in need of some 2.5's. My last purchase of the Royals in that strength in a pack of 3 was March of 2024. I'm ashamed to say that as it indicates how little time I've been spending with the horn, but it's a fact.
I made a trip to a major music store in my area to purchase them and paid $18.09 including tax. My 2024 purchase for the same reeds and quantity was $11.72 including taxes.
My therapy for the sticker shock was to ask AI if the tariffs affected the pricing and this was the response. You might notice that a portion of the answer included information from cafesaxophone. Kudos to us! I had also asked the salesman behind the counter, but he didn't offer much of an opinion.


In most current U.S. tariff regimes, saxophone reeds are not directly subject to import duties, but indirect effects can still influence prices and availability.

Current tariff classification​

According to a recent statement from a Canadian reed manufacturer, reeds and parts for musical instruments are still covered under the USMCA (CUSMA) and are essentially tariff‑free for U.S. imports waldronreeds.com. This means that, under current U.S. rules, saxophone reeds are not hit by the latest round of Trump‑era tariffs, which do target brass instruments, instrument cases, and other goods, but not woodwinds or reedswaldronreeds.com.

The Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the U.S. also classifies reeds under musical instrument parts, and they are not in the categories subject to the current Section 301 or Section 232 tariffs Harmonized Tariff Schedule Search.

Why there can still be price impacts​

Even if reeds are tariff‑free, other factors can raise costs:

  • Global surcharges: A temporary 10% U.S. import surcharge under Section 122 of the Trade Act is currently in place, which applies to many imports, including some musical goods essler & Sons Music.
  • Tooling and manufacturing costs: Some reed‑making tools are now subject to U.S. tariffs, and manufacturers may pass these costs on waldronreeds.com.
  • Supply chain and logistics: If reeds are made in countries with different trade policies, or if shipping routes change, costs can rise CafeSaxophone ForumCafeSaxophone Forum+1.
  • Market conditions: Forum participants note that tariffs on saxophones, mouthpieces, and accessories can indirectly affect reed prices, especially if reeds are sourced from countries with higher duties or if supply chains shift CafeSaxophone ForumCafeSaxophone Forum.


[Moderator edit: added ai quote tags]
 
I had been overstocked on reeds in general for a while, but I found that I actually was in need of some 2.5's. My last purchase of the Royals in that strength in a pack of 3 was March of 2024. I'm ashamed to say that as it indicates how little time I've been spending with the horn, but it's a fact.
I made a trip to a major music store in my area to purchase them and paid $18.09 including tax. My 2024 purchase for the same reeds and quantity was $11.72 including taxes.
My therapy for the sticker shock was to ask AI if the tariffs affected the pricing and this was the response. You might notice that a portion of the answer included information from cafesaxophone. Kudos to us! I had also asked the salesman behind the counter, but he didn't offer much of an opinion.


In most current U.S. tariff regimes, saxophone reeds are not directly subject to import duties, but indirect effects can still influence prices and availability.

Current tariff classification​

According to a recent statement from a Canadian reed manufacturer, reeds and parts for musical instruments are still covered under the USMCA (CUSMA) and are essentially tariff‑free for U.S. imports waldronreeds.com. This means that, under current U.S. rules, saxophone reeds are not hit by the latest round of Trump‑era tariffs, which do target brass instruments, instrument cases, and other goods, but not woodwinds or reedswaldronreeds.com.

The Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the U.S. also classifies reeds under musical instrument parts, and they are not in the categories subject to the current Section 301 or Section 232 tariffs Harmonized Tariff Schedule Search.

Why there can still be price impacts​

Even if reeds are tariff‑free, other factors can raise costs:

  • Global surcharges: A temporary 10% U.S. import surcharge under Section 122 of the Trade Act is currently in place, which applies to many imports, including some musical goods essler & Sons Music.
  • Tooling and manufacturing costs: Some reed‑making tools are now subject to U.S. tariffs, and manufacturers may pass these costs on waldronreeds.com.
  • Supply chain and logistics: If reeds are made in countries with different trade policies, or if shipping routes change, costs can rise CafeSaxophone ForumCafeSaxophone Forum+1.
  • Market conditions: Forum participants note that tariffs on saxophones, mouthpieces, and accessories can indirectly affect reed prices, especially if reeds are sourced from countries with higher duties or if supply chains shift CafeSaxophone ForumCafeSaxophone Forum.


[Moderator edit: added ai quote tags]

I can confirm that reeds come under the same HS import code as mouthpieces and incur 5.3% base duty plus 10% (section 301) tariff.

I believe the base duty is historical but imposition of it on lower value goods came about in August 2025 due to changes to de minimis regulations. A sad day for international trade in small items. Small companies are suffering and it isn't just US tariffs.

Import code: 9209.99.80.00 - Miscellaneous parts and accessories for musical instruments.

As far as I can tell the whole system is a complete minefield. In reality I just have to pay what I'm told or the courier will not ship. If I now sell a mouthpiece (which has the same HS code as reeds see above) when I send via Royal Mail I am charged up front 15.3%
 
Last edited:

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,294
Messages
576,992
Members
8,094
Latest member
nilocssss
Back
Top Bottom