Klangfarbenmelodie
Member
Yes, I've seen photos of both designs and wondered about that difference. I suppose that still dates them both to after 1929, so a few years too late to even try for the 100 year exemption on those models. Thanks!
🏆🏆 🙌 score two for Cafe Posters and our Great Mods (or Rockers).You might notice that a portion of the answer included information from cafesaxophone. Kudos to us!
I had been overstocked on reeds in general for a while, but I found that I actually was in need of some 2.5's. My last purchase of the Royals in that strength in a pack of 3 was March of 2024. I'm ashamed to say that as it indicates how little time I've been spending with the horn, but it's a fact.
I made a trip to a major music store in my area to purchase them and paid $18.09 including tax. My 2024 purchase for the same reeds and quantity was $11.72 including taxes.
My therapy for the sticker shock was to ask AI if the tariffs affected the pricing and this was the response. You might notice that a portion of the answer included information from cafesaxophone. Kudos to us! I had also asked the salesman behind the counter, but he didn't offer much of an opinion.
In most current U.S. tariff regimes, saxophone reeds are not directly subject to import duties, but indirect effects can still influence prices and availability.
Current tariff classification
According to a recent statement from a Canadian reed manufacturer, reeds and parts for musical instruments are still covered under the USMCA (CUSMA) and are essentially tariff‑free for U.S. imports waldronreeds.com. This means that, under current U.S. rules, saxophone reeds are not hit by the latest round of Trump‑era tariffs, which do target brass instruments, instrument cases, and other goods, but not woodwinds or reedswaldronreeds.com.
The Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the U.S. also classifies reeds under musical instrument parts, and they are not in the categories subject to the current Section 301 or Section 232 tariffs Harmonized Tariff Schedule Search.
Why there can still be price impacts
Even if reeds are tariff‑free, other factors can raise costs:
- Global surcharges: A temporary 10% U.S. import surcharge under Section 122 of the Trade Act is currently in place, which applies to many imports, including some musical goods essler & Sons Music.
- Tooling and manufacturing costs: Some reed‑making tools are now subject to U.S. tariffs, and manufacturers may pass these costs on waldronreeds.com.
- Supply chain and logistics: If reeds are made in countries with different trade policies, or if shipping routes change, costs can rise
CafeSaxophone Forum+1.
- Market conditions: Forum participants note that tariffs on saxophones, mouthpieces, and accessories can indirectly affect reed prices, especially if reeds are sourced from countries with higher duties or if supply chains shift
CafeSaxophone Forum.
[Moderator edit: added ai quote tags]
