• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Miscellaneous What are you growing this year?

Pete Thomas

Well-Known Member
Cafe Moderator
Commercial
Messages
23,331
Location
London
Level
Retired professional
Asparagus!

We started a new bed when we moved in a couple of years ago but you must leave the plants the first two years. So this is our first year of Asparagus and it's working very well.

We did try okra in the greenhouse last year but not too successful. We had some "ladies fingers", but with just a small plant we got maybe one a day so by the time there were enough to cook with, the first ones had gone by.

Beans, beetroot and sweetcorn do very well down here in sunny Southampton
 
Bloody hell, sparrowgrass! Beats me.

We're growing potatoes, carrots, rasishes, cougettes, rocket, chinese leaf and beans. All easy stuff I can get the kids involved with. Spuds are doing very well here in Surrey. Looking forward to eating them all.

Jon
 
Bumper year for apsaragus.

asparagus.webp
 
Asparagus!

We started a new bed when we moved in a couple of years ago but you must leave the plants the first two years. So this is our first year of Asparagus and it's working very well.

We did try okra in the greenhouse last year but not too successful. We had some "ladies fingers", but with just a small plant we got maybe one a day so by the time there were enough to cook with, the first ones had gone by.

Beans, beetroot and sweetcorn do very well down here in sunny Southampton

So are we! 🙂
we bought a couple of sad looking plants 2 or 3 years ago from Wilko (!) 😱 and stuck them in a bag - one of those nylon canvas potato bags, not a plastic grow bag. Then we ignored them. And this year we have had a few tasty stems.

When I was a child, my parents moved to a house with an enormous, well-established asparagus heap (about 5 metres long). I had never appreciated, therefore, that asparagus is a delicacy - we used to just pop down the garden after school and cut a handful for dinner. :clapping:

Now I live in the county that grows it for most of the country
 
Strawberries fresh from the vine have a unique flavor, unlike store-bought; likewise a fresh tomato. This year I ordered six different varieties of tomato seeds, plus new variety of watermelon. I do container-gardening with drip-irrigation. Plants are a little smaller, but weeds are less and are easily pulled. But since we are still having occasional snow flurries I am waiting........
 
Strawberries fresh from the vine have a unique flavor, unlike store-bought; likewise a fresh tomato. This year I ordered six different varieties of tomato seeds, plus new variety of watermelon. I do container-gardening with drip-irrigation. Plants are a little smaller, but weeds are less and are easily pulled. But since we are still having occasional snow flurries I am waiting........
Does a grow bag survive in a UFO?>:)
 
I am growing the usual French climing beans which were gorgeous last year, runner beans, peas, beetroot-oh my yummm, Broad beans 🙂 Pink fir apple potatoes, they are really nice and regular tatties. Spinach and coriander is a must every year and several varieties of chilli.

I recently used a block of Tamarind and it had large seeds in it, I took them out and cleaned them off, planted them indoors and three have come up this week, amazing.. I wonder what I should do with them!
 
Prof, since the subject of gardening on mother-ships, etc. is of such interest to you, I am leaving a note on the landing-pad describing your approximate location. I don't have your address, but they should be able to find you. I feel it's the least I can do, to further international (not to mention inter-galactic) understanding and brotherhood. Good luck. You'll have to learn the hand-shake on your own. Sorry.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,954
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom