support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tenor Viol's musings

Especially for @nigeld and @Jeanette I present the pruple Yani tenor
_DZ68188_2.jpg

Now that is some verdigris. You look a bit green around the gills.
It's too time-consuming to mask out the sax precisely, so I did a generic colour switch, which unfortunately picks up some other things which are colour adjacent to the sax's yellows / oranges. I'll ask the tech support asssitant if there's a smarter way of masking it - the issue is the discontiguous nature of the sax

Last edited:
Well, at uni today I asked out tech support person about alternative way of doing this and she said, nope, there is no easy way to do it... the way I was doing it is the only way. Since doing a precise 'pen tool' cut out is going to be several hours work, I think we'll leave it as it is.

I am just so hacked off. Today it is a year since I had to abort my trip to New Zealand and make emergency arrangements at great expense to get home. Today the RFU has provided the terms for amateur rugby teams to resume training. I'm team photographer for the club I'm involved with. I'm excluded because under the 'rules' I am deemed to be a 'spectator'. Reality: apart from players and a coach, the only person at training is usually me with the camera. I feel like giving up as this happened last summer as well and it took two months for me to be allowed to attend. Looks like it will be June before I can attend. That will be 10 sessions in 16 months.

There are no dates at the moment for music other than 'June', which in reality might as well say 'September' for most groups.

There are no dates at the moment for music other than 'June', which in reality might as well say 'September' for most groups.

I haven't seen any dates at all for music groups to resume rehearsing in the UK. Where did you hear 'June' ?

Our big band has one firm(ish) and two tentative bookings for outdoor gigs in June and July, which would be a heck of a challenge if we can't rehearse until June. But at least everyone in the band has been practising hard (or so they tell me).

Rhys

I haven't seen any dates at all for music groups to resume rehearsing in the UK. Where did you hear 'June' ?

Our big band has one firm(ish) and two tentative bookings for outdoor gigs in June and July, which would be a heck of a challenge if we can't rehearse until June. But at least everyone in the band has been practising hard (or so they tell me).

Rhys
I'm just going off that's when all 'restrictions' are meant to lapse

I'm just going off that's when all 'restrictions' are meant to lapse

I just checked the relevant guidance on the Making Music UK website - our band is a member of Making Music. Here are some highlights of what they are saying for ENGLAND at the moment.
  • Until 29 March: no in-person rehearsals. Full lockdown is still in place as far as leisure time music group activity is concerned and no in-person activity can take place.
  • From 29 March: six people can meet outside socially – we see no reason why this could not include rehearsing. It can be in a public place or private garden. Anyone meeting in public should think carefully about what might happen if people stop and watch – which is not a permitted activity.
  • Step Two (12 April earliest): Outdoor organised rehearsals will be possible in step two with no formal limit on the numbers that can take part, but with some conditions:
    • Completing a relevant risk assessment
    • Having measures in place to mitigate risk
    • Managing numbers safely within social contact limits: “those attending do not mix beyond what is permitted by the social contact limits
      • This means that the total number of people attending a rehearsal can be more than the social contact limit – but that they must always remain in sub-groups within social contact limits.
        So, the social contact limit at this step will be 6.
      • Making Music advise that you go further than this and treat everyone as a sub-group of 1 – and do not allow for any mixing at all. This will mean your rules can be very simple and clear and make the rehearsal much easier to manage
  • Step Three (17 May earliest): Indoor and outdoor rehearsals will be possible in step three with no formal limits on numbers but with some conditions:
    • Completing a relevant risk assessment
    • Having measures in place to mitigate risk
    • Managing numbers safely within social contact limits: “those attending do not mix beyond what is permitted by the social contact limits
      • This means that the total number of people attending a rehearsal can be more than the social contact limit – but that they must always remain in sub-groups within social contact limits.
        So, the social contact limit at this step will be 6.
      • Making Music advise that you go further than this and treat everyone as a sub-group of 1 – and do not allow for any mixing at all. This will mean your rules can be very simple and clear and make the rehearsal much easier to manage
  • Step Four (21 June earliest): The government hope to lift all COVID secure requirements at this step.

Our band did a Covid risk assessment and had some Covid-secure rehearsals in the autumn and will probably try to do the same from Step Three this year. Maybe we will try some outdoor sectional rehearsals before then.

Rhys

PS Bear in mind that the information above is just guidance and interpretation at this stage as the government hasn't yet issued definitive information.

Back
Top Bottom