support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tenor Viol's musings

Should have added for clarity, bear in mind that cello is written at pitch, so non-transposing. My top open string is the A below middle C, so the Eb on the third leger line above the treble staff is a long way down the finger board... two and a half octaves down...

In a fit of rash stupidity I volunteered to help review a charity's organisation etc (wearing my business analyst's hat). I'm doing it on a pro bono basis, apart from expenses.

I drafted and issued 30+ questionnaires to the various trustees and committees in November. Ninety percent response rate. I have attended a trustees' meeting in London and I've held Skype/phone interviews with all of the trustees (last two tonight). So far I have drafted around 8,000 words of analysis.

I've probably spent 60 or 70 hours on it so far. I'll be presenting my report in April to the trustees....

I decided that it would make sense at my age to have a hearing test, which I duly did on Thursday. Nominal human hearing range is 20Hz to 20kHz, but just about no one over the age of 21 can hear above 10kHz.

The good news is that my hearing overall was deemed to be 'good'. There is some drop-off around 9kHz. This is common and in my case is not severe. Its does give issues hearing sounds like 'th' 'ff' 'v' and ''ts'.

I did decide to take preventative measures so I have ordered made-to-measure filtered ear-plugs with 15db attenuation. I will report properly on them in a separate thread when they arive (10 days).

Taking the impression was interesting for various reasons. They insert a little foam plus on a string into your ear canal. You then get injected with a sort of putty. This sets in about 2 minutes. The cord is used to pull the impression out. The complexity of the shape is interesting - a sort of serpentine 'S' shape. Also, my left canal is much narrower than my right one.

I will post pictures and a write-up when they arrive. If 15db is not enough, you can order other filters such as 25db attenuation.

Not cheap at £170 but at band rehearsals I sit in front of timps, drum kit, mallet percussion and 9 trombones... and it looks like we will be doing more of those dance music concerts....

Last edited:
Trying sort of day. Started with difficult drive to work in snow and parts of the A49 were not gritted and I had to contend with some people who clearly do not understand the nature of driving in the snow...

Had to have another emergency dentist appointment to re-cement my new crown in place...

In other news, rather fed-up about being messed around, but that's people I suppose.

Better work out what torture I'm going to inflict on the ensemble next Sunday...

26D3337A-A2E0-43CD-B0A3-3ECC98B9E69F.jpeg
Law enforcement in Liverpool has got serious....

OK so a busy few days to comment upon. Last Saturday I played cello in orchestra in our spring concert. The theme was spring and the countryside. The weather decided to have a laugh and it snowed... it was around 0C (32F) and with wind-chill around -4C (24F). The programme started with Hamish MacCunn's Land of the Mountain and the Flood which is a romp through Scotland. MacCunn was 18 when he wrote this popular concert overture. (Cue: Hamish, you'll have had your tea? Some will understand). This was followed by Vaughan Williams' English Folk Song Suite. This was then followed by three short works which our clever MD transcribed by listening to recording and scoring (we couldn't find performing copies). This included Barwick Green from My Native Heath (more Radio 4 connections...). Unfortunately I can't find a full recording online that actually has the full introduction and uses orchestra apart from some very dodgy ones... We finished part 1 with some 1970s TV nostalgia, also arranged by our MD.... Galloping Home the horns had some fun...

Part 2 was a full performance of Beethoven Symphony #6 'Pastoral', which is decidedly tricky in places...

Sunday was sax ensemble day, which as reported elsewhere was thinned by the weather and St. Patrick's night revelries, so we were a quartet. We sight-read an arrangement of some Star Trek themes. I'm so pleased with how much progress the guys have made since we started a couple of years ago.

Monday was the ensemble's trip to Ronnie Scott's which meant trains down to London and an overnight stop. I've wanted to go to Ronnie Scott's since I was in my 20s back in the 80s. It needed the impetus of a group wanting to go to make it happen. Now that it's been done, I think second visit will be sooner. The politest thing to say about the Lee Konitz session is people should know when to retire. The late session was an eclectic quintet (piano, bass, drums, sax, trumpet) who knows how they met - they came from Vienna, Munich, Huddersfield... They were phenomenally good. This was then followed by a jam session, at which the standard was very high.

On Tuesday morning I introduced the guys to Foyle's bookshop. They're no longer in their rambling eccentric building (that's now ground zero for a new development). The new site is next to where they used to be. The second floor is the music department: turn right for classical CDs, music books, music theory and sheet music, turn left for jazz CDs...

I bought some four-part arrangements for the ensemble... the pic is courtesy of @nickh this is the sheet music section, but suggested captions have included "... and this is the Yamaha mouthpiece drawer..."

75f52428-e522-494e-8530-d3b0e456ffd1.jpg

I think to be fair to Lee he is now 90 and was suffering with a cold. When he played he had a lovely tone, he just didn't play enough :) It was a long long night but very enjoyable. The Pecorino wine was very nice and the company great fun. Nick's coat made a good pillow for a power nap. :) My first visit too and hopefully not the last.

Jx
Ps If you choose to stay in the very convenient Sohostel you need photo I'd! Two of us nearly didn't get in!

Back
Top Bottom