Tenor Viol's musings

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I've not submitted a general post in here for a while, in part I wasn't sure people were interested in my random scrivenings and ravings.

Last week was the first week of full rehearsals - Birmingham orchestra on Sunday, wind band on Tuesday, orchestra on Thursday. In additon the last couple of weeks have seen a sax workshop day and a string orchestra day. The spring concert repertoire for Birmingham is quite challenging as it includes Beethoven's 6th, MacCunn's Land of the Mountian and the Flood, Vaughan Williams' Folk Song Suite, and several other works.
I am also the secretary of the Birmingham orchestra and that adds a few challenges. For example, last week we had a committee meeting, this week we had a repertoire planning meeting to look at concert dates and rep through to December 2020... There may be some quite exciting news regarding future events, so I will keep you posted.
Domestically, I face a few challenges at the moment. Mum seems to have seized up and is not very mobile all of a sudden. Plus some other stuff had been going awry to add to complications.
Meanwhile, if you're around Birmingham on the afternoon of Saturday 17th March, you can come and hear us playing Beethoven. I'll post an event shortly on that.

tenorviol

Subscriber
A friend who I used to play with in a community orchestra e-mailed me at the weekend asking if I could help her out and dep in the next concert of their orchestra. Now the logisitics of this are painful as the orchestra is on the Wirral and that is a painful drive for me via Chester for a rush hour journey from work (about 40 miles). Anyway, I go along last night, expecting to sit at the back to make up numbers... Oh no, 1st desk next to principal (my friend). There were 4 other cellists. In her e-mail she said I was probably a stronger player than the others... (I was sceptical).

So, I walked in to playing Elgar Pomp & Circumstance #3 (tricky), Elgar Wand of Youth Suite (extremely tricky in places), Richard Strauss Der Rosenkavalier Waltzes (tricky), Holst Invocation for cello and orchestra (beyond tricky and in 7/4 time signature)... and other stuff we didn't look at. I coudln't hear the other cellos other than my friend and when I could it ws because they can't count...

To be blunt, their MD must be a complete idiot - or deluded - that is some seriously technically difficult repertoire. I could keep up and was in the right place almost all of the time, but there were places I busked as I can't process fast semi-quaver passages in tenor clef (or bass!) at that speed when sight-reading, and it wandered into treble clef as well...

I messaged our Birmingham MD about the repertoire and his reaction was "That's terrifying... what a mad, mad man...". To set context our MD has a masters in conducting from a conservatoire (so 6 years conservatoire training in all).

I think the travel logistics are going to kill this anyway. I left work at 4.15, had to call on mum . Left mum's at 5.30, had to call somewhere which added 15 minutes, got there, wasted time trying to find entrance and eventually parked up at 7.10. Left 10.15, home 11pm. Which is when I finally got something to eat...

tenorviol

Subscriber
I will be saying no to this. There are reasons to do with the future why I wanted to try it (plus it was to help out a friend). Granted I wouldn't have expected to have to call in on mum, but that is the case at the moment, so it made the journey time there 2 hours (2h45 overall) plus nearly an hour back. Just not feasible. And the repertoire choice is stupid!

PS And the concert would have scuppered me for February Café Ensemble...

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
I wish I was so talented and so active as you are, @tenorviol!
But I echo other reactions:
- sometimes too much of something enjoyable simply becomes 'too much', which takes some of the enjoyment out of it
- being so much in demand means you sometimes have to say 'no' (even to friends)

Your last post on an idiot - or deluded - MD resonated with me because similar complaints have been made (by the 'weakest' section) of one of my 2 Big Bands at the MD (conductor/arranger). This led to a recent 'mini-crisis' in which the MD quit and then - after a discussion with the band - decided to continue (with clearer agreements) at least until the next 'evaluation' over a couple of months.

So I do hope you'll continue to post your 'musings' now and again. @tenorviol , Your musings are insightful., personal and you post with a wealth of musical experience. I, for one, benefit greatly from them

Besty wishes for your Mum!

Mike

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
You must eat @tenorviol , that’s important. Prepare something in advance that you could keep in the fridge at work until you leave and put it into a cool bag. Some picnic food like quiche or pies perhaps? You can’t exert all that energy playing an instrument or even driving on an empty tummy.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
You must eat @tenorviol , that’s important. Prepare something in advance that you could keep in the fridge at work until you leave and put it into a cool bag. Some picnic food like quiche or pies perhaps? You can’t exert all that energy playing an instrument or even driving on an empty tummy.
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.
Yes and for serving suggestions, you have a choice of either a traditional plate or an old chopping board. Actually we're a bit short of chopping boards at the moment so i've taken to using bits of skirting that I salvaged from a local skip. Of course, that costs extra! :D:p

Edit: Ok, it's a song.. sorry, I didn't know that! :doh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom