Miscellaneous Soundproof booth/Recording booth

Caz

Whatever you decide to do (or by now you might have done it already haha), it is worth doing research beforehand, as the same materials combined in different ways can give very different results. My starting point was this book: Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros: Rod Gervais: 9781435457171: Amazon.com: Books . The author of that book at least used to be active on a forum, I think recording.org or something.

As I remember, mass, decoupling, and damping are the most important principles. In the type of construction I did, the mass is the drywall, the decoupling is the Genie Clips, and the damping is the Green Glue. The ceiling also doesn't touch the walls - you leave a small gap and fill it with a dense acoustic caulk also made by the Green Glue company. Basically the idea is to have heavy things that "float" off of their supporting structures.

I don't know if anything I've said will be useful, but have fun with your project and I hope it goes well. :) What I'm talking about may very well be overkill for just a saxophone... The book I linked to has the exact specs on attenuation of many different constructions, so you could find the one that would suit your goals and limitations.
I'm still in my research-and-getting-off-my-ass-phase to do something about it :)

Caz

So - finally completed my Sound/recording booth. Not sure If i have overdone the Sound treatment, But regardless of theory on soundwave it really helped stopping Sound from escaping the booth. It gets pretty hot in there, But only If i stat there for more than an hour

Caz

Been using my vocal booth for about an hour+ a day since its completion. Word of advice to other building the same kind of vocal booth is to get some sort of ear protection. Db levels was mesured around 100+ and i started to begin experiencing tinnitus. Now i'm using in-ear headphones and ear protection over them and that's working quite well.
Take care of your ears out there

Top Bottom