support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Otto Link metal alto mouthpiece ligature

Hello all, has anyone here tried the STM mouthpiece with a Rovner type ligature?
I only ask because I don't really the standard Link ligature.

If you have, how does it alter the sound?

Thanks

I have a tenor sax and yes, I use a Rovner lig with my STM. The sound seems clearer, louder and is right for my band (playing loud) and with my classical trio (playing softer with a slightly softer reed).

OK, that's the opinion of sound out of the way and of course it is purely subjective and largely irrelevant because the real reason I use Rovner ligatures is because they are so much easier to apply. One knob, easy to shift position and the reed doesn't move once in place.

To be honest I don't think the ligature makes two pence worth of difference to the actual sound. If it does, it is only when you compare one to another immediately. For a gig or practice one is much the same as any other.

The greatest difference to your sound is your own embouchure, everything else is just quality, ease of use, appearance and skill level.

Use whatever rocks your boat, it won't make the blindest bit of difference to your playing. a) If you are good, you're good. b) If you're not, keep practising then see (a).

Cheers

Martin

Well, the Rovner ligature arrived in the post today.
I think it makes a really big difference.

The standard ligature screws up into one point of the reed (with a cradle following), and allows movement. Look at one of your reeds after you've used the standard STM ligatures. You'll see it's surface is not being secured to the mouthpiece.
A ligature should surely be there to secure the reed to the whole of the table.

The Rovner was so much more secure, and felt so when playing.
I opted for the 'dark' one and immediately noticed more 'body' 'wholeness' more 'focussed' whatever you want to call it.

It works for me.

for what it's worth- I spend quite a bit of time in the shop checking what players seem to regard as a 'standard' set up. the default upgrade for STMs usually seems to be the BG lig with the metal insert (super revelation, or was it revelation jazz..?)

You'll see it's surface is not being secured to the mouthpiece.

This implies that the table is not as flat as it could be. I believe this to be the main reason some people think different ligatures sound different, as some are better than others at holding a reed to a warped table.

This implies that the table is not as flat as it could be. I believe this to be the main reason some people think different ligatures sound different, as some are better than others at holding a reed to a warped table.

hmmm, having check my STM NY tenor table, it is clearly undulating in all areas, but oddly, this is the best (read easiest?!) playing piece I have...

In the past I have done sound recordings with the same set up just changing the lig, from a bootlace to BG & Rovner, I honestly couldn't tell/hear any difference so concluded that whatever I *think* is better is the best! (thus I agree with Pete above).

I think that the players themselves pickup on subtle changes in perceived tone and response from a change in ligature, but that is about as far as it goes. This provided that other aspects are equal. Obviously a defective or ill fitting ligature WILL adversely impact the tone and function in a very real way.

The audience is not likely to discern any difference at all in tone, save for any improvement in the operator's playing due to those solitary, self appreciated "differences".

..still sticking with my hypothesis on a different lig thread, never really found any ligs that make me sound different but a fair few that really do make a difference to response (specifically how easily the notes kick in in very high and very low register)......

..still sticking with my hypothesis on a different lig thread, never really found any ligs that make me sound different but a fair few that really do make a difference to response (specifically how easily the notes kick in in very high and very low register)......

I was testing various mouthpieces the other day with slight differences in performance and sound, then I tryed a Standard BG ligature (which has only the inside rubber ribbed) The difference in ease of playing and fuller sound was amazing!
I then reverted back to my standard set up (the one I walked into the shop with) and this was way better than the brass lig that came with the Rico royal mouthpeice (this was on a Soprano) So I ended up only buying the BG ligature. I have since tryed the Sop lig on my alto metal (yanagasawa) mouthpiece and it also has stepped up a gear.

I would have not believed the difference this BG ligature gave me. I tryed the other grade of BG ligs, which didn't, do anything for me. This may be because I play Hahn reeds (fiberglass) which already have a thick rubber pad on the back on the reed where the Ligature presses and the other BG reeds have a two metalstrips which press on the centre of the reed.

These are my personal findings, someone else's may be completely different, & therefore you need to check this out for yourself.

Still searching for that elusive perfect mouthpiece though!

Cheers & Ciao:mrcool

What I actually meant was that the standard Link screw applies its force at one point, hopefully pushing the cradle with it.
Whereas the Rovner type ligature applies the pressure over all of the reed that it touches.

ps. I've just re-read what I'd previously posted.
I hadn't been clear enough in what I meant.
The back of the reed has a clear indent from the screw, indicating more pressure at that point than elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine for alto STM from Woodwind & Brass UK because their site makes it easy to tell which one you need for each mouthpiece.

Go to the Saxophone ligature page and search the Tenor section.

ps. good price and quick dispatch.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom