supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs Otto Link metal or ebonite for warmer sound

GLJ

Hi Folks, I'm very much a beginner having played tenor saxophone on and off only for a couple of years. The only mouthpiece I have ever used is an Otto Link Super Tone Master 5* I'm looking for a warmer sound. If I was to buy an Otto Link Ebonite model, would the sound be warmer? I live overseas so cannot try before I buy.
Thanks,
Gareth Jones
Balikpapan

Lloyd

Hi Gareth,

I've got an Otto Link Tone Edge ebonite 6*. Very mellow but capable of brighter stuff as well. I got it as a replacement for a Yamaha 5C and just to confirm that it was better I played the Yam the other day and it was nowhere near as warm. I would think that a metal mouthpiece would be great if you were in a rock band but otherwise go for the ebonite.

FastFred

I have both ebonite and metal links. The ebonite is smoother. My tutor reckons beginner should stay away from metal mouthpieces as a general rule.

Just beware buying without trying, links vary a lot even with the same tip opening. Mine is a 7* for information (tenor) and i am very happy with it.

Good luck.

jonf

Hmm, metal and ebonite mouthpieces.

In my opinion

Some metal mouthpieces are good for rock, some not.

Some ebonite mouthpieces are good for rock, some not.

Some metal mouthpieces are suitable for beginners, some not.

Some ebonite mouthpieces are suitable for beginners, some not.

When I first started playing the thick end of 30 years ago I used a metal Lawton plain chamber. It was great (if expensive) for a beginner. Now I use an ebonite RPC115B. It is great for rock, but would be too much for a beginner.

I read a lot of stuff, particularly on a certain US sax forum saying that beginnners should always use ebonite, until they get their 'chops', whatever they might be, but I don't really buy that. I reckon metal mouthpieces are absolutely fine for beginers as long as they are of a reasonable tip opening and don't have too extreme a baffle.

Just my opinion.

AlanU

Hello Gareth, I'm inclined to agree with Jonf.
But there are many variable factors, like tip opening and the strength of reed to suit.

I would suggest an ebonite Meyer 5 as you are used to the STM 5*, I use both albeit on alto.

But it is very difficult to advise if you are not in a position to try first.
Surely there must be internet retailers based near you who operate a sale or return policy?

ManEast

Hi Folks, I'm very much a beginner having played tenor saxophone on and off only for a couple of years. The only mouthpiece I have ever used is an Otto Link Super Tone Master 5* I'm looking for a warmer sound. If I was to buy an Otto Link Ebonite model, would the sound be warmer? I live overseas so cannot try before I buy.
Thanks,
Gareth Jones
Balikpapan
Hi GLJ in Balikpapan
The Jody Jazz Hard Rubber is fast making a good name. Jody also offer a money back deal, Look here -

http://www.jodyjazz.com/shipping.return.html

I would try to go for a 7 or 7*... and go down in reed to maybe a 2 or 2 1/2. Then, as you get your chop's, you have room to move up to a 3 or 3 1/2
Take a look at the jody web site, have a good read of what they say about it.

Good luck:)

ManEast

Last edited by a moderator:

Greywolf

metal or ebonite

FWIW, when I started I really wanted to play a metal piece and bought an OL tonemaster. I've had two of these and I have never been able to get on with them. I just don't seem to be able to control the damn thing. Over the years i have had numerous mouthpieces. I really like Tone edges of which I have 2, a bari and a runyon.

They hardly get an outing. The piece I play pretty much all the time now is a Lawton. It suits me very well indeed.

I think what I'm saying is that you have to kiss a lot of frogs. Play different mouthpieces until you find one that really suits you. This takes time and experience and is not something that you can do in the first couple of years of playing when your expertise is developing. By all means try different pieces but you can spend a lot of money on pieces that in the end don't suit you and lie around in drawers.

Now go and do exactly what I did. Completely ignore this good advice and buy the metal mouthpiece you want, then another, then another..........

..........It's a GAS Thing

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I'm with jonf on this- though, having said that & based on experiences in the shop, if you're buying 'cold' the ebonite otto link is probably your safest bet. Metals are great but can be a bit of an acquired taste for a beginner (plus many beginners have major squeakage on metal mouthpieces)- best keep it simple and go for the ebonite.....

Top Bottom