PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Metal Alto Mouthpiece help with choice please.

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
Hi thanks for stopping by.

60 plus years ago (yes the 60's, groups as they were then not bands) I played Tenor and a Berg Larsen MP great days and 'sounds' but now alto and I've 'mellowed' a lot.

I've had a look at getting a Berg Larsen for my alto but stuck as I cannot remember the tip opening I blew and bewildered by the choices available nowadays however I don't want the sound of the 60's any more. I presently play a Vandoren AL3 nice MP but fancy trying a metal for a change. I am more a classical/military/dance band player so not after the raucous sounds I did make, but now more mellow playing 'sweet' melodies !! get the idea ??

I suppose there will be many who will say 'stay with what you've got' no don't want to I wanna change so what's it to be fans ? being an 'old guy' and a pension %^$£^%!! funds are limited and I'm not in any desperate rush to buy neither just need to find something suitable preferably second user. Must say I have watched/listened to a lot of videos and the choice of metal seems to out weigh rubber etc. so what's your thoughts please. I may be a very olden but I'm very active blowing wise and such a pain we're still unable to get together but I'm being patient.

Thanks for your thoughts Pete

Last edited:
There isn't as much choice for metal alto pieces as there is for tenor but you can still get some Berg Larsen metal mouthpieces and go for 2 or 3 as in an 80/2 or 80/3, 3 is the mellowest but it was a special order but can still be found if you have patience.
Yanagisawa do a metal but it a bit brighter but not a paint peeler,Jody Jazz do some nice metals but they can be pricey and Theo Wanne do quite a few alto metals but are very pricey.
Selmer alto metals might suit and you can get them secondhand at various prices.
Lawton do various metal altos but are also pricey.
Forum member brianr has some pieces in the yardsale here on the forum.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
There isn't as much choice for metal alto pieces as there is for tenor but you can still get some Berg Larsen metal mouthpieces and go for 2 or 3 as in an 80/2 or 80/3, 3 is the mellowest but it was a special order but can still be found if you have patience.
Yanagisawa do a metal but it a bit brighter but not a paint peeler,Jody Jazz do some nice metals but they can be pricey and Theo Wanne do quite a few alto metals but are very pricey.
Selmer alto metals might suit and you can get them secondhand at various prices.
Lawton do various metal altos but are also pricey.
Forum member brianr has some pieces in the yardsale here on the forum.

Thanks for your advice I await a reply from brianr new to this site so not sure how to get to yardsale

Vote:
Upvote 0
I think this is the Yardsale thread where @brianr is advertising some alto mouthpieces for sale.

If you want to send a private message to a particular forum member you can "start a conversation" with them by clicking on the Envelope shape near the top right of the screen. And if you want to draw their attention to a particular post or thread, just do as I did and use the @ symbol in front of their forum name (making sure to spell it exactly right or pick the right one from the offered list of near matches).

Rhys

Vote:
Upvote 0
I think this is the Yardsale thread where @brianr is advertising some alto mouthpieces for sale.

If you want to send a private message to a particular forum member you can "start a conversation" with them by clicking on the Envelope shape near the top right of the screen. And if you want to draw their attention to a particular post or thread, just do as I did and use the @ symbol in front of their forum name (making sure to spell it exactly right or pick the right one from the offered list of near matches).

Rhys

Thanks Rhys you're a star

Pete

Vote:
Upvote 0
I'm currently reading Peter King's autobiography "Flying High" and Peter moved from playing metal Berg Larsens on tenor and alto to playing metal Otto Links (I assume STM {Super Tone Master}) on both. According to the book it took him awhile to get use to the Otto Links but well worth the perseverance...maybe an Otto Link is a good starting point...my personal favourite metal mouthpiece is my late 1960s Brilhart Level Air:thumb:

Good luck...

Greg S.

Vote:
Upvote 0
I just got a secondhand Selmer Classic E metal tenor mouthpiece, and it’s rather good - not bright, but a bit more oomph than my HR Selmer Soloist. I think they do one for alto as well.

Vote:
Upvote 0
E. Rousseau Jazz Metal was popular among alto players. Brass and goldplated. 5(0.70") to 9(0.86"). I don't think they are doing these mouthpices anymore. E. Rousseau mouthpices is nowadays apart of Jody Jazz.

Vote:
Upvote 0
I'm currently reading Peter King's autobiography "Flying High" and Peter moved from playing metal Berg Larsens on tenor and alto to playing metal Otto Links (I assume STM {Super Tone Master}) on both. According to the book it took him awhile to get use to the Otto Links but well worth the perseverance...maybe an Otto Link is a good starting point...my personal favourite metal mouthpiece is my late 1960s Brilhart Level Air:thumb:

Good luck...

Greg S.

Thank you Greg this subject is obviously a mine of information and 'Flying High' looks extremely interesting. Maybe I should stay with 'The Devil you Know' my AL3 and forget the idea of metal, and of course it could and probably will turn out an expensive exercise. I just wanted to improve my overall sound (not volume) as I play lead and need to sound fabulous , but maybe I sound OK as it is !!

Thanks again

Vote:
Upvote 0
I just got a secondhand Selmer Classic E metal tenor mouthpiece, and it’s rather good - not bright, but a bit more oomph than my HR Selmer Soloist. I think they do one for alto as well.

Ah thanks for your addition. For interest the Selmer HAS been suggested but also the Selmer ebonite so it's getting nearer to "Make Your Mind Up Time". I've NEVER in over 60 years blowing blown on a Selmer !!

Thanks again P..

Vote:
Upvote 0
E. Rousseau Jazz Metal was popular among alto players. Brass and goldplated. 5(0.70") to 9(0.86"). I don't think they are doing these mouthpices anymore. E. Rousseau mouthpices is nowadays apart of Jody Jazz.

Thanks for your input.

Vote:
Upvote 0
I would suggest a hard rubber berg over metal. No one wants to work on stainless and I rarely see a berg made properly. If you do find someone to work on stainless the price will be high. At least one can get work done on a hard rubber piece.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Thank you Greg this subject is obviously a mine of information and 'Flying High' looks extremely interesting. Maybe I should stay with 'The Devil you Know' my AL3 and forget the idea of metal, and of course it could and probably will turn out an expensive exercise. I just wanted to improve my overall sound (not volume) as I play lead and need to sound fabulous , but maybe I sound OK as it is !!

Thanks again

You don't see many (jazz) lead altos playing metal mouthpieces. Lots of Smooth Jazz and Jazz Rock alto soloists play metal mouthpieces but they're usually not leading a section.

If you want to try a Berg Larsen ebonite I have a vintage one probably from the 50s or 60s that I was going to sell via the forum here. Start a conversation if you are interested and you can return the mouthpiece if it doesn't work out for you.

Rhys

PS Seller makes a contribution to the forum charity for sales done via the forum, so I would do that.

Vote:
Upvote 0
I would suggest a hard rubber berg over metal. No one wants to work on stainless and I rarely see a berg made properly. If you do find someone to work on stainless the price will be high. At least one can get work done on a hard rubber piece.

Thanks for your suggestion and this seems the consensus so leaning towards a better ebonite than my AL3.
Regards P...

Vote:
Upvote 0
Metal is more about the feel in the mouth than the sound imo.
HR is more easily worked on so, as it's the internal shapes and sizes that give a piece its personality, a HR piece should offer more subtelty and range.
A metal piece will often be physicaly smaller, so on larger saxes, baritone and tenor, may acommodate smaller embouchures more comfortably.
Having said that, we all go through the "Oh! Shiney" phase. A metal mouthpiece does have a pleasing, aesthetic appeal. ;)

Vote:
Upvote 0
You also get more bang for your buck with hard rubber. It is very expensive to produce high quality metal pieces. Even a passable piece costs more than its equivalent in Hard rubber.

Vote:
Upvote 0
You also get more bang for your buck with hard rubber. It is very expensive to produce high quality metal pieces. Even a passable piece costs more than its equivalent in Hard rubber.

Yes agree Phil my mind has changed and sticking to Ebonite Thanks Pete

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom