Tutorials

Saxophones New Alto SeleS

David Roach

.....How does it compare to those old stalwarts, the SBA, MkVI, SA80 (I & II)?
No,
I think it is a Super Action body....As is said, for me it is a SA II....Cheers, Guenne
According to my friend who visited the Selmer factory this week, Guenne is correct, the tube is exactly the S80 Series 2. In addition I will repeat my opinion that the keywork feels entirely the same as any good modern Selmer; positioning seems most like the Series 2, therefore going back and forward to my Ref54 I have no issues.

I recently emailed Erik Claeys, Sales & Promotion Manager at Selmer to compliment Selmer on the Axos; I don't think he would mind if, for your interest, I quoted those emails to you as follows:-

Hi Erik
I thought you would like to know that I have recently been trialling the new Seles Axos alto sax. I think it is an absolutely fantastic instrument.
Intonation is superb, sound is thick and total ‘Selmer’, keywork is indistinguishable in quality of feel to that of the S2 and S3.
My heartiest congratulations to Selmer for this excellent instrument. I will probably buy this instrument and may well end up playing it in preference to my Reference 54.
What I would like to know is this:- will Selmer be producing a full Professional version of this instrument, and if so, how soon!?
Very best wishes
David Roach

Hello David,
I am very happy with your positive feedback in regards of the SeleS AXOS alto sax. We are also convinced that this instrument is absolutely representative for everything that Selmer stands for and I am very pleased to read your comments confirming us this.
In our vision AXOS is a professional instrument with its own characteristics. It is an instrument build in the Selmer tradition, but with the particularity that the cost of building it is controlled in a different way what results in a more affordable price setting.
At my knowledge there are no plans to make other versions of this instrument.
I thank you for your confidence!
Very best wishes,
Erik

For further reading on the minutiae of the Axos, please refer to this very comprehensive review: SeleS Axos Alto Saxophone Review ~ The Diligent Musician

David Dorning

Subscriber
For what it’s worth I had a blow on a SeleS Axos today at Crowborough and really liked it. I wanted to see how I would get on with something better than my rattly old Elkhart. I was curious about the signature custom, but other treats offered me at Sax.co.uk were a Yam 62, Yani AW01 and SeleS. No surprise they all felt much nicer than my current alto in their different ways but the SeleS had a punchiness and ease of blowing that I really liked and for me it stood out from the others. I thought it had great response, dynamic range, sound quality and intonation, it was a pleasure to blow. I want to have a look at a few older horns too, but it’s definitely on the shortlist. The only thing I didn’t like is that it’s ever so shiny but I could live with that.

David Roach

Yes, I'm not a great fan of the very bright lacquer Selmer have used on the Axos, I prefer the darker, richer hue of the Series 3 or the Reference horns, but it's a very minor niggle considering the price and excellence of the horn in general.
The Axos I have is now in for a very serious set-up (due to the usual rubbish Selmer factory set-up). I'll report back on that in due course.

David Roach

So I got the Axos back from the set-up. I trust my tech, but I have to say that after spending £50.00 it's still not right on the nail. I think he did absolutely the best job he could, so no reflection on his work at all, but there are still little niggles in the pad seating. He said that in his opinion it was not as well made as the Yanagisawa AW01 and declined to compare it to the Yamaha 62, both of which are comparably priced. I find this a bit strange, that Selmer still cannot be bothered to set their instruments up properly. It can't be good for business.

However, my view is that the Axos is a far better sounding instrument than either the AW01 or the YAS62 - for me.
Playing it next to my Reference, it has a different quality of sound. The tone of my Reference is split into highs and lows, whereas the Axos is more of one piece. This seems to me to be the modern Selmer approach (S2 & S3), and as I have already observed, it's more in line with my S3 soprano & tenor. That's not necessarily important for me. I think sop, alto & tenor are three entirely separate instruments and I get best results when I acknowledge that idea. (i.e. I can happily play a #5 alto mouthpiece and an #8* tenor piece and feel that I'm getting the best out of each one).

I'm going to gig the Axos this week, it's going to get a right good thrashing and I want to see how it holds up in the real world before making a final decision. Wish me luck!
:sax::D

rhysonsax

I'm going to gig the Axos this week, it's going to get a right good thrashing and I want to see how it holds up in the real world before making a final decision. Wish me luck!
Good luck ! Any chance you could record the Axos when you are thrashing it ?

Rhys

David Dorning

Subscriber
So I got the Axos back from the set-up. I trust my tech, but I have to say that after spending £50.00 it's still not right on the nail. I think he did absolutely the best job he could, so no reflection on his work at all, but there are still little niggles in the pad seating. He said that in his opinion it was not as well made as the Yanagisawa AW01 and declined to compare it to the Yamaha 62, both of which are comparably priced. I find this a bit strange, that Selmer still cannot be bothered to set their instruments up properly. It can't be good for business.

However, my view is that the Axos is a far better sounding instrument than either the AW01 or the YAS62 - for me.
Playing it next to my Reference, it has a different quality of sound. The tone of my Reference is split into highs and lows, whereas the Axos is more of one piece. This seems to me to be the modern Selmer approach (S2 & S3), and as I have already observed, it's more in line with my S3 soprano & tenor. That's not necessarily important for me. I think sop, alto & tenor are three entirely separate instruments and I get best results when I acknowledge that idea. (i.e. I can happily play a #5 alto mouthpiece and an #8* tenor piece and feel that I'm getting the best out of each one).

:sax::D
Thanks for the update David, look forward to hearing how it performs at your gig.

rhysonsax

Here we go. My Romance (courtesy of @Chris ). Very straight forward, twice through the tune.
First up is my Reference 54, then the Seles Axos.
Both played with a Navarro #5 marbled mouthpiece, Lupifaro 3.5 Jazz reed and my trusty GF ligature.

I won't comment for the moment, but I will post my feelings about both instruments in due course.
Lovely playing with great control and taste on both. They both sound like professional standard horns being played by a very fine player.

The differences are pretty subtle, but I would say that the Ref. 54 sounds little more smooth and round and the Seles sounds a fraction brighter and possibly more powerful.

Looking forward to hearing your own thoughts from the player's perspective. And those of other listeners too.

Rhys

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Ok you've convinced me I'll give up now and just listen to you guys @David Roach that was lovely to listen to :)

I thought I disagreed with Rhys I found the start of the second track less bright and very mellow, but the more I listened the more I agreed with Rhys, the second track wasn't as full bodied. That said I could listen to either all night, we really are just being picky :)

Jx

ac30kev

Too old for a six-pack, it's now a sax-pack
...that said I could listen to either all night, we really are just being picky :)

Jx
It's like trying to choose between mint choc chip and clotted cream flavoured ice-creams... impossible. Both were smooth and very tasty and I couldn't pick a favourite (mint-choc... no, clotted cream... no...)

Guenne

Hello,

if there is the same distance and angle to the mic (very hard for me to get) and having said that Soundcloud's compression is just horrible I'd strongly prefer the Reference on this track.
But that does not say the Seles couldn't produce a better result (better for me) with a different MPC or a player with a different style. I'm sure the gap would be less significant if David would take some hours and only play the Seles to "finetune" everything to his imagination of sound. And do the same with the Reference then.

Cheers, Guenne

Chilli

Barista
Great playing!
Like Guenne, I was wondering if the recording setup was exactly the same...
I wouldn't say the Seles is brighter but it has this sort of brassiness that I've already heard (and felt) on Yamaha student horns (YAS 2X and 275). I listened with headphones and could hear a resonating metallic "buzz" throughout the Seles recording.
That said, both sound excellent in your hands...

Guenne

if there is the same distance and angle to the mic (very hard for me to get) and having said that Soundcloud's compression is just horrible I'd strongly prefer the Reference on this track.
Like Guenne, I was wondering if the recording setup was exactly the same...
Sorry, I wanted to express that - when I record - there may always be a little difference in angle and distance.
Possibly David can do that better.

Cheers, Guenne

Top Bottom