Tutorials

Saxophones New Alto SeleS

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Swapping between a brass thumb rest and a plastic one, the difference is immediately noticeable - to me. Maybe not to a listener.
That's because you hear though your thumb! ;)

Or at least some vibrations are better transmitted by brass than plastic. And I'm not referring to electrical waves here... Just saying before someone switches on the power!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
That's because you hear though your thumb! ;)
Partially true, actually.
The way an instrument vibrates under the fingers changes the way I perceive it.

Someone else does not feel te saxophone vibrating at all.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Partially true, actually.
The way an instrument vibrates under the fingers changes the way I perceive it.

Someone else does not feel te saxophone vibrating at all.
I can feel my 62 vibrating but don't recall feeling it with the TJ I had

Jx

Alphorn

Probably the lacquered K91, but.........
I have both a Sequoia 'Lemon' alto and a soprano
Out of curiosity, could you describe the differences between the different models that you tested?

From the Sequoia homepage, the classic lacquered should be warm, silver be more modern, projection and useful for a pop sound, lemon rather broad and very broad dynamic range but less projection, booster seems to be the best of both worlds being broad plus projection.

I find those descriptions hard to follow and it would be interesting to know how an accomplished player experiences them in real life.

Alphorn

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Out of curiosity, could you describe the differences between the different models that you tested?

From the Sequoia homepage, the classic lacquered should be warm, silver be more modern, projection and useful for a pop sound, lemon rather broad and very broad dynamic range but less projection, booster seems to be the best of both worlds being broad plus projection.

I find those descriptions hard to follow and it would be interesting to know how an accomplished player experiences them in real life.

Alphorn
Descriptions are necessarily approximate and what works for a player doesn't work for another (and the marketing department has a very short temper).
I would have bet that David would have chosen the K91 soprano, and I was wrong.
Classical alto players in Slovenia seem to favour Lemon or Booster.

Lemon has a very complex sound and a broader dynamic palette. I don't miss any projection, compared with other models.

David Roach

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was looking for a broader, less contained sound from the Sequoias than I get from my Selmers. I felt the Lemons had that straight away so I didn't look further than I had to. Too much choice can be confusing and I have very much had my day with Silver plate, having had an entire set of SATB Selmers in SP. For me, in modern instruments, silver plate compacts and focuses the sound, something that is very appealing from the driving end but actually less attractive to me now.

tzadik

Never tried one yet... but used pristine Series II altos (totally overhauled and repadded) go for much less than a SeleS alto... so... nothing much to add.

The "cheaper" Selmer series came out before Selmer was aquired by the investment fund Argos Soditic.
I guess a brand like Selmer should be into "cheap" student horns. Since almost everything is done "in house" in France.

Top Bottom