Tutorials

Saxophones New Alto SeleS

David Roach

Ha! He's not selling very well is he! Delangle does a much better job!

This what I've been told about the Seles Saxes by one dealer:

"If you think what the Yamaha 62 and AW-01 are to the Yamaha and Yanagisawa ranges respectively, that is what the Seles Axos is to Selmer. Same great build quality, non-water based lacquer (Selmers are patent on water based lacquer on saxes). They outsource some of the non-acoustic parts of the manufacturing to lower the cost. I expect them to be an excellent alternative to the 62 and aw-01."

Colin the Bear

Opens with, "All the things you are". Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan, 1962, Two of a Mind. So a sound created half a century ago to sell a brand new concept in modern saxophone. Err...No sale. Uh uh!

ProfJames

Elementary member
Opens with, "All the things you are". Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan, 1962, Two of a Mind. So a sound created half a century ago to sell a brand new concept in modern saxophone. Err...No sale. Uh uh!
Viking use similar marketing, I don't see what is wrong with that approach if that is the sound you want to try and achieve.

David Roach

This is really a modern problem: some people are happy speaking to a camera, some are not. In reality, does it mean that John actually thinks the Seles Axos is not a good instrument, but Claude does?? Absolutely not. Let's wait and see shall we, give them a blow and see if they work well. It's always worked for me, rather than make an appraisal based on internet clips. (If the octaves play in tune, I will consider it a good horn!)

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
This is really a modern problem: some people are happy speaking to a camera, some are not.
They both seemed happy speaking to camera, but maybe John Helliwell was more into giving his honest opinion rather than what the marketing people might have preferred. But a bit odd for an ad though.

It reminds me of an as campaign I wrote some music for. The slogan was "It's good but not that good". It did well in the Uk, but my father in law who was a US ad executive couldn't believe they would run something like that, which relies on the target audience's sense of irony to get it.

Ads

it looked like either he wasn`t comfortable being filmed OR he was struggling to say something nice about the sax .. I got the feeling that at any moment he was going to say "it really is better than a £200 Gear4music, Honest it really is" ;) .....

It looks like Selmer's attempt at a YAS480 to me, the SA80-II is the YAS62 / Yani 901 of the range (you can`t compare Selmer prices to anyone else and go by that)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Viking use similar marketing, I don't see what is wrong with that approach if that is the sound you want to try and achieve.
Considering Selmer prices, they could have afforded a couple of thousands for a video of actual people playing it.
Probably they don't need to invest much in marketing, being already in the top position.

That Desmond choice is quite annoying though. Also in a market where classical alto students represent a big chunk of the market, it might not be the most appealing choice.

On the day of the international saxophonic revolution, marketing people will have to go through a compulsory educational course where they have to spend minutes and minutes reading about the products they advertise.

It reminds me of an as campaign I wrote some music for. The slogan was "It's good but not that good". It did well in the Uk, but my father in law who was a US ad executive couldn't believe they would run something like that, which relies on the target audience's sense of irony to get it.
Expecting intelligence from possible customers? That is the negation of marketing.
(Interesting read: Propaganda, by Edward Bernays)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
This said, their Seles clarinet is very good (i tried it). Not sure about the price policy.

Ads

I can't see John Helliwell being uncomfortable talking to the camera or public as he was for a lot of the time Supertramp's MC at their concerts...
Maybe he wasn't knocked out with the sax then, I`d probably sound the same if I was to review a horn which I thought was OK-ish .. whatever, there was nothing like the enthusiasm there was when (for instance) Jim Cheek reviewed the Sheppard Tenor .

Ads

Me too !! ..

Looks like John H has scruples and wouldn`t sell out for a wad of cash ..... saying that though, he has far less need for one than most of us.

Top Bottom