Saxophones Considering to buy a new alto saxophone

motondo

I'm considering to buy a new alto saxophone. Since, I can't test or blow on any of candidates. I would like to ask for help with your experience and background.

Three candidates; 1.- Antigua Pro-One; 2.- P. Mauriat Le Bravo 200; 3.- Trevor James Signature Custom Gold Lacquer. All three have a similar price level.

What do you think?... Would you include any other similar range horn?

Thank's a lot!

Pete Effamy

I'm considering to buy a new alto saxophone. Since, I can't test or blow on any of candidates. I would like to ask for help with your experience and background.

Three candidates; 1.- Antigua Pro-One; 2.- P. Mauriat Le Bravo 200; 3.- Trevor James Signature Custom Gold Lacquer. All three have a similar price level.

Thank's a lot!
I wouldn’t advise anyone buying a sax that was untried unless you had played previously on such a model, and even then...

Live too far from a decent store?

QWales

I don't know the other two but the Signature Custom is excellent all around, it is the same Sax as the well known RAW but with a different finish. The only downside being a minor cosmetic one, that the TJ Sax plating is a little thin and will wear after a couple of years regular use.

Pete Effamy

Yes, unfortunately
At least if you buy something with great build quality you know you have a good hooter. You then have to hope that you get on with how it blows. Very hard. I guess we all say about our own horns that they do A, B and C easily and those ‘other’ horns don’t. Trouble is the same things end up being said about all saxes, good or bad depending who you talk to.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
As far as I know, these are all reputable saxophones.
A lot of the differences between them will be a matter of personal preference, so I'm not sure you are going to get a lot of help from us unless one of them has very obvious faults or advantages.

OP
M

motondo

@Pete Effamy

Knowing that I cannot replace my personal experience with that of you, I try to obtain the necessary information from your experience and expertise. In fact the three candidates are not a random elaboration. Of course with the limitations imposed by the environment and the economy

@DavidUK

I'm sorry ... In any case I have never tried Marmite. Do you recommend it?

@nigeld

As I explained above, you are already helping me. Thank you!

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX

Thank's a lot!
What has lead you to these 3 ? Am curious. Also are we talking brand-new ? Or used ? Because a New Mauriat LB costs around $2500usd. The Antigua around $2800

For that price, you can buy, among others:

Jupiter 1100, their top-line and a very good sax
Buffet 400, IMHO one of the best contemporary mid-price horns being made today
Yamaha YAS-480
even, a Yama YAS 62III

I have experienced the Antigua and the Mauriat.

I would buy any of my above list in a heartbeat ....over either of those.

(When it comes to buying a horn without testing first, of course just make sure seller has a good return and warranty policy. Not much 'risk' then....)

Last edited:

Pete Effamy

@Pete Effamy

Knowing that I cannot replace my personal experience with that of you, I try to obtain the necessary information from your experience and expertise. In fact the three candidates are not a random elaboration. Of course with the limitations imposed by the environment and the economy

@DavidUK

I'm sorry ... In any case I have never tried Marmite. Do you recommend it?

@nigeld

As I explained above, you are already helping me. Thank you!
I know, you’re in a situation where it’s a complete gamble.

OP
M

motondo

@JayeNM

First, budget limitation. In my case around € 1500. Then the comments and opinions that I have been obtaining from various sources. Finally videos of the different models. I know that the latter can be a "Toast to the sun".

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
I know, you’re in a situation where it’s a complete gamble.
I agree with Pete: -
I've been playing for over 50 years, and very rarely found a horn that has been perfectly built and adjusted straight out the box.
I agree with Jay: -
make sure seller has a good return and warranty policy.

How long have you been playing ? Would you know if a sax wasn't correctly adjusted. ?

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
@JayeNM

First, budget limitation. In my case around € 1500. Then the comments and opinions that I have been obtaining from various sources. Finally videos of the different models. I know that the latter can be a "Toast to the sun".
OK.

Just don't put Marmite on that Toast.

So...$3000usd equivalent for a new Alto.

I stick by my list.

Again, buying new online not such a roll of the dice as long as seller has a return policy. So "complete gamble", not quite, as you have an 'out'.

Do keep in mind, comparing various online samples of a horn to get an idea of tone has pitfalls...as online sample vids and soundfiles certainly are using widely varying recording methods/equipment (not to mention what mouthpiece the player happens to be using). But those sorta comparisons are useful to a degree....

Pete Effamy

Jupiter 1100, their top-line and a very good sax
Buffet 400, IMHO one of the best contemporary mid-price horns being made today
Yamaha YAS-480
even, a Yama YAS 62III
@Stephen Howard will tell you that the Yam 62 is not the Yam 62 of yesteryear. Used to be their flagship, but obviously now isn't and it seems that they've 'downgraded it'.

Steve doesn't seem to rate the Mauriat build quality too highly either - but rather than take my word for his - horses mouth Steve?

Top Bottom