support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones New Alto SeleS

Enthusiasm and staate of mind play a large part in one's activities and outlook. I guested on a two hour show on radio in Berkshire along with an ex Caroline DJ called John Aston. If I wasn't in a good mood I never helped with the show, he did it evry week regardless of his mood.

At the other end of the scale... Aldevis, I think I read somewhere you played the new Selmer "Limited Edition" model recently, as here:
https://www.selmer.fr/instruinfo.php?page=NEW&famille=SELMER SAX
http://www.sax.co.uk/selmer-paris-limited-edition-alto-sax-pearl-lacquer.ir

How did it compare to other Selmers, such as the Ref 54?

A bit off topic, but...
I am not mainly an alto player, unless in big bands.
My experience with Selmer alto is (all very good horns) SA80II, MkVI, Cigar Cutter.
Sequoia and SML are what I played more recently.

The limited edition is absolutely marvellous (I tried the specimen numbered 000).
The Cigar Cutter feel with a modern keywork.
A beauty to look at, a creamy quality when you blow it.

Price is the only problem I could immediately detect.
I handed it back before I put my kidneys on sale.

I got the feeling JH was talking slowly and simply in anticipation of being broadcast with French subtitles

I have a Seles Axos alto here at home, and I'm probably going to buy it.
It's an absolutely stonking horn, never mind the price.
Superior intonation, great sound, excellent keywork (but normal crappy Selmer setup!).
Anyone in the market for a pro alto would be mad not to give it a whirl at £2000.00-ish.

Oh, and it's a far superior horn to the Yamaha 62 or the Yani AWO1 (IMO).

I agree.
One of my students had the 62, AW01 and a good Taiwanese horn at home to try.
When he went back to the shop after play testing for one week I told him to at least try the Seles.
He immediately bought it. He sounds really great on it.

Cheers, Guenne

I agree.
One of my students had the 62, AW01 and a good Taiwanese horn at home to try.
When he went back to the shop after play testing for one week I told him to at least try the Seles.
He immediately bought it. He sounds really great on it.

Cheers, Guenne

Is it not the case that the Seles is a good far eastern horn, assembled in France?

Is it not the case that the Seles is a good far eastern horn, assembled in France?

I consider this mainly as a kind of marketing strategy (I may be wrong).
The horn plays and feels like a SA (with the SA neck not fitting AFAIK).

Cheers, Guenne

I'm not sure Selmer would use far eastern manufacturing as a marketing strategy? I guess it's the same economy as Buffet make having their horns made in China? Not quite a "real" Buffet but still a good horn due to the French company overseeing manufacture of parts.

No, that would be incorrect.
From what my friend learned in the Selmer factory, the tube, bell, neck, straps and pillars are all manufactured and assembled at that factory. The keywork is farmed out to reliable Asian factories. They are assembled in France.
In other words, if you can't easily remove it from the instrument, it's French; if you can, it's not.

Despite the fact that I am a 'Selmer Artist' (whatever that means), I would not play an instrument that isn't up to the highest standards. 18 months ago, when looking for a replacement to a Series 3 tenor I had damaged, I rejected all sorts of saxes as being in some way under my expectations. It's been the same with altos: I've been unhappy with the intonation of my Reference 54 for quite a long time (different to my Series 3s and quite 'squirrelly' with a tendency to burble at the low end), while every other aspect was more than fine (keywork, sound, build quality etc.). The Seles Axos is the first alto I have found that actually exceeds my expectations i.e. the intonation is better than my present alto and everything else is at least as good.
The sound of the instrument is different (not better) than the Ref54. It actually matches my S3 soprano and tenor better.

Thanks for clearing the manufacturing up.

How does it compare to those old stalwarts, the SBA, MkVI, SA80 (I & II)?

No,
I think it is a Super Action body.
How does it compare to those old stalwarts, the SBA, MkVI, SA80 (I & II)?

As is said, for me it is a SA II.
It plays different to my Reference. But I have tried 5 Refs, all played a bit different. The old ones (Mark VI, SBA) differ much more.

Cheers, Guenne

The limited edition is absolutely marvellous (I tried the specimen numbered 000).
The Cigar Cutter feel with a modern keywork.
A beauty to look at, a creamy quality when you blow it.

Price is the only problem I could immediately detect.
I handed it back before I put my kidneys on sale.

If shipping is not a problem... You can buy that Limited Edition Adolphe Sax Celebration from top shop in Paris... for 30% less than the price listed on Sax.co.uk.

... and since Brexit is still not defined, you won't pay any additional VAT/duty taxes. :)

-----
According to the samples you find surfing on the net, the SeleS horns are Selmer's but sound different than a regular/genuine Selmer. I guess this is why they advertise them like student instuments.
Despite this... in Italy (for example), a Yamaha YAS-875/82Z costs less than the Selmer SeleS... so I guess they definitely failed the price tag.

Back
Top Bottom