Tutorials

Saxophones Jericho Tenor

DavidUK

Try:

and...

When I enquired recently, Becky hinted there had been some improvements made, but didn't say what. Maybe just build quality as Steve has said.

jonf

They're being sold online. Mifght not pop up to the top of a search list, I think they still need a little search engine optimisation for their site. Prices are still keen.

jonf

Initally I wondered if it was competing with our planned cafesaxophone instruments but as those are (in the first stages) going to be top end pro instruments I don't think there is a huge issue.
You might even find that they complement each other quite well

DavidUK

One thing I noticed from the photos is that they still use the concave centre key touches, as here:

I prefer the whole pearl to be slightly concave, not just the centre, and the B bis touch to be slightly domed. I wonder if I'm alone in this or whether others agree?

Janosax

One thing I noticed from the photos is that they still use the concave centre key touches, as here:

I prefer the whole pearl to be slightly concave, not just the centre, and the B bis touch to be slightly domed. I wonder if I'm alone in this or whether others agree?
Agree, also that right hand pearls placement is odd with F too much close to E in comparison with E to D.

DavidUK

I bought some pearls off eBay to replace the Jericho's with.

The ones on the left arrived first...

...but were not similar enough to each other, and lighter than advertised by the eBay seller, here:

They sent another set, on the right. Better colour but different profile...

I also have my old Yamaha Vito to reassemble (plastic pearls also) so I could use both sets. I'm just wondering which I'll prefer - the left set, concave over the whole of the pearl. Or the right set, still with a small raised edge outside of the concave bit.

Out of interest, what did you go for on the cafesax sax @Pete Thomas ?

hedgehog

I love singletrack.
Subscriber
It'd be fun to see pics of the new pearls, once installed. Is it a big job to install them? What adhesive do you use? Hot-melt glue, maybe?

DavidUK

I'd probably use contact adhesive, the stuff you coat both surfaces with, allow to dry for 5 minutes, then bond together.

You only get one chance to position correctly, but for a round pearl in a round surround it should be fine. I seem to recall getting the old ones out can be more of an issue on some horns.

Janosax

I did it on my G4M tenor. It’s tricky to be honest if plastic pearls are well glued. I didn’t want to heat them to avoid pads seating issues, so I used a dremel tool and removed all the plastic, then glued the new pearls. I’ve used universal Scotch glue which works well for that kind of job, hot glue should work as well. Totally worth it however, much more confortable and not slippy.

Ivan

Undecided
I'm just wondering which I'll prefer - the left set, concave over the whole of the pearl. Or the right set, still with a small raised edge outside of the concave bit.
The right set look a similar profile to my Selmer SA pearls

I have a different profile on Sequoia whereby the concave centre is smaller, so the surrounding raised lip is wider.... it's a feel I noticed and preferred as soon as I tried it, but then I had never been bothered by the Selmer configuration until that point

At the end of the day...

Top Bottom