support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jan 2015 Ballad of the Month "I Remember Clifford"

Hey mrpeebee,

Nice one.
I subscribe to what you said about playing the theme. Sounds very good. My improvisation on that tune doesn't really make me happy.
But I wished I also had such a fine horn :)
I'm here looking at my poor man's Selmer (Mark VII) and crying about my stinginess :)

Cheers,
Guenne

Here I go again...

Yanagisawa 992, Phil Barone Traditional Contemporary Metal MPC 7*, Rigotti 2,5 strong, lottsa reverb.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Saxophonforum.de/I%20Remember%20Clifford.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mrpeebee,

Nice one.
I subscribe to what you said about playing the theme. Sounds very good. My improvisation on that tune doesn't really make me happy.
But I wished I also had such a fine horn :)
I'm here looking at my poor man's Selmer (Mark VII) and crying about my stinginess :)

Cheers,
Guenne

Hi Guenne,

Thanks for having a listen and commenting :). I enjoyed your takes too, you sound good on all horns.

I know Mark VII got a 'bad' name, but I've play tested several of them and I don't find them so bad (but not as good as a SBA or VI, just different). Anyhow the player is far more important then the horn, an avarage player (like me) on a good horn will not sound better compared to a good player on a slightly less horn!

Hi Guenne,

Thanks for having a listen and commenting :). I enjoyed your takes too, you sound good on all horns.

I know Mark VII got a 'bad' name, but I've play tested several of them and I don't find them so bad (but not as good as a SBA or VI, just different). Anyhow the player is far more important then the horn, an avarage player (like me) on a good horn will not sound better compared to a good player on a slightly less horn!

Hey,
there's not much traffic here, so I allow myself to go OT.
I know, the Mark VII is way underrated.
What I wanted to say: I got 50 this summer, and one day in my holidays I decided to spend my money on a Mark VI Alto and Tenor (or SBA Tenor).
My friend who runs a store in Germany (600km away) agreed on trading in the Mark VII Tenor and the Purple Logo Alto I had.
So I went to Germany. We started with the Altos. I tried about 12 Mark VI Altos or so, but the best one he had was a new Reference 54.
Then the Tenors...I tried Yamahas, SBAs, Mark VI...None of them sounded better than my Mark VII.
Then I asked my friend if he had something he had not showed me. He handed me a silver Mark VI without high F sharp, I think from 1957. It played great. Price was €7500,-.
While I was thinking about spending 12000,- minus my horns my phone rang.
A guy asked me if I had time to play a gig with a commercial band in a beer tent that weekend.
I imagined myself playing in the beer tent with that wonderful silver beauty and decided to stick with my Mark VII.

Cheers,
Guenne

Fully agree Guenne :). Don't go just for a brand or model but always play test an go by what you hear and like. I bought my SBA in 1995 and still like it, but also try other horns if I got the change. Tried a Mark VII of a pro friend recently and liked the darker sound of that horn too, but the SBA feels more comfortable in my hands. I play it everywhere by the way, but mine is not a beauty queen, just a players horn.

Fully agree Guenne :). Don't go just for a brand or model but always play test an go by what you hear and like. I bought my SBA in 1995 and still like it, but also try other horns if I got the change. Tried a Mark VII of a pro friend recently and liked the darker sound of that horn too, but the SBA feels more comfortable in my hands. I play it everywhere by the way, but mine is not a beauty queen, just a players horn.
How much different are they from the latest comparable Selmers?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much different are they from the latest comparable Selmers?

I didn't try a lot of modern Selmers. Only once tried a Ref 36 and 54 and both didn't ring a bell for me (sounding less complex and alive then my SBA). But you need to test more horns to give a reliable opinion and also be aware that a proper setup of the horn is very very important for feeling the real character of a horn.

I own a 1983 Selmer SA80 (first my main horn, but since 1995 my backup for the 1952 SBA) and it's a very nice horn, but brighter compared to the SBA. See this amateur compare I made some years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPgoA_nJgc0

I didn't try a lot of modern Selmers. Only once tried a Ref 36 and 54 and both didn't ring a bell for me (sounding less complex and alive then my SBA). But you need to test more horns to give a reliable opinion and also be aware that a proper setup of the horn is very very important for feeling the real character of a horn.

I own a 1983 Selmer SA80 (first my main horn, but since 1995 my backup for the 1952 SBA) and it's a very nice horn, but brighter compared to the SBA. See this amateur compare I made some years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPgoA_nJgc0
Thank you, appreciate your advice

Last day of the month, some great versions posted, what more could we want?
A big thanks to Rhys for hosting this month:thumb:and for picking a great ballad:thumb:
Also thanks to everyone that has posted a version of there own:thumb: without you
guys the thread would be a little boring:)

Next months host has been picked and everything is ready..

Chris..

Hi to all,

I have buyed the TC Helicon Voice Live 2 and I am experimenting it's setup: here is my first recording using a simple setting:

View: https://youtu.be/zYxjc4vgwcg

T Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz Aug - Jody Jazz Gianti 7* - Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon M

Ciao
What a beautiful tune. Nicely played...I like your subtone and as Jeanette says, simple is sounding good.

Sounds great

What did the Helicon add to the recording?

In these early recordings I used two features TONE and REVERB; I quote from manual for TONE feature:

TONE: activates what we call the “Live Engineer Effects”.These are different from standard vocal processing effects in that they adjust their settings to your particular voice and the way you sing at different times of your performance just like a professional audio engineer will.
All EQ and compression enhancements applied here will affect the overall sound of VoiceLive 2 including Harmony, Doubling, Reverb etc.
The suite of effects that make up Tone are:
o Adaptive Shape EQ
o Adaptive Compression
o De-Ess
o Adaptive Gate

Voice Live is very complex and it has a lot of features: I think I will need a lot of time to use it in a decent way because I would like to use it especially live.

Ciao

Back
Top Bottom