All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Jan 2015 Ballad of the Month "I Remember Clifford"

mrpeebee

I also have an old version from June 2011 to share. Didn't have a backing track or metronome available then, so I recorded it with only an Audacity click-track as backing. Only recorded the theme, so it's a bit emptly.

- 'I Remember Clifford' (Florida no USA 10* - La Vo medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10719667

Hope to be able to make a new recording this month.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
This is a completely new tune to me. I'm a bit hesitant about posting this in view of the exc* previous posts and I've so far found it difficult to get my head around the improvisation.

Her it is anyway.

Guenne

Hey friends,

great versions so far.
I especially liked @bflateflat's version.

Although I know the tune pretty well, (I can remember listening to Manhattan Transfer's version many, many years ago) the tune is pretty hard for me.
Even more so on Alto.
Hope I can do better by the end of January.

Nevertheless, good enough to be criticized I hope:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Cafe Saxophone/I Remember Clifford.mp3

Cheers,
Guenne

Last edited by a moderator:

jbtsax

Subscriber
Hey friends,

great versions so far.

Although I know the tune pretty well, (I can remember listening to Manhattan Transfer's version many, many years ago) the tune is pretty hard for me.
Even more so on Alto.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Cafe Saxophone/I Remember Clifford.mp3

Cheers,
Guenne
Lovely! Your tone, pitch, and time are excellent. Your improv shows a good mastery of the changes as well. As a matter of personal taste, I would have liked to have heard a more "legato" style articulation in keeping with the style of this beautiful ballad.

Guenne

As a matter of personal taste, I would have liked to have heard a more "legato" style articulation in keeping with the style of this beautiful ballad.
Very good thought,

Thank you. You are absolutely right.
But there's so much keep track of :)
Maybe it is fear of losing time...
I will think about it.

Cheers,
Guenne

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
@mrpeebee Peter, enjoyed the solo version. The sound of the sax is why we love the instrument, sometimes it gets lost with other instruments. Hope you find time for another version.
@U CAN CALL ME AL , Al this tune for me has a strong melody, it always makes improv a little harder as you keep finding yourself playing the theme, even more so if like me you are reading the chords from the sheet. Looking forward to another version.
@Guenne Great version, only one thing for me, would have liked to have heard some vibrato on the longer notes, would have helped create a softer mood. very nice though as Jb said above..

Chris..

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
Nice pick. It was the TOTM @ SOTW June, 2011. Here is the version I did then. Back in my 'fluffy sound' phase: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5305840/I Remember Clifford.mp3
I like the laid back breathy Bucky Adams sound.

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Hey friends,

great versions so far.

Even more so on Alto.

Cheers,
Guenne
Gorgeous sound and a lovely improvisation.

I was thinking that this tune works best on tenor, but your alto is making me think differently.

Keep the great versions coming.

Rhys

jbtsax

Subscriber
As I am working on this tune, I'm finding the changes on this lovely ballad a bit formidable in their complexity. Sooooooooooo I have done something recommended by Jamie Aebersold and that is to become familiar with the 3rds and 7ths in the changes. I have recorded a chorus so others can hear what the "skeleton" of the harmony sounds like, and yes I did cheat by writing the part out. Someday I may be able to do this "on the fly", but I'm not there yet. I Remember Clifford Chord Study.

I could make a pdf copy of this exercise available for anyone who would like to use it in either key. Just let me know.

AlanT

jbtsax - That is very interesting and musical sounding. It seems like if one were to put some 'meat on the bones' of that skeleton with fills/etc that a competent solo would result. I think I would like to try that instead of my current solo on the fly with no consideration of the chords and hope it sounds alright method. :oops:

Thank-you to the nice comments on the version I posted and I am enjoying listening the the others. Like everyone else I am very impressed with blateflat's efforts! That is the kind of playing that I have always aspired to but never quite achieve. I am now following/listening to your Soundcloud page, lots of great stuff there!

bflateflat

Hey thank you AlanT, feed back is always appreciated and positive feed back is always good for ones confidence.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Here you go. You may notice that some of the chords the notes are not always the 3rd and 7th of the written chord. In these cases the written chords are "substitutions" for other chords.

For example the F# dim spelled F#, A, C, Eb is a substitute for D7b9 spelled D, F#, A, C, Eb so the F# and C of the F# dim are used because they are the 3rd and 7th of the chord D7b9 the F# dim is a substitution for. I hope this makes sense.

I Remember Clifford exercise Eb version

I Remember Clifford exercise Bb version

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom