support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Idol Curiosity: There must be left-handed saxophonists?

IMG_20200308_141345.jpg

The double and triple tonguing. I can single tongue that fast
Yes, but triple tonguing give a particular sound. I was trying to get Logic to write those same notes as 1/4 triplets and can't figure it out. That would be hard to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, thing, at friend's dinners, they'll occasionally do the port and stilton thing, with cheese they bring back from home (England). I buy Seriously Strong Cheddar from time to time.

Another OT: My Exercise of the Month (for alto)
View attachment 14202
Variations:
  • Start it a half step higher or lower or in another octave
  • Reverse it (make movement upward)
  • Use articulation, change note lengths, etc.

There will be a quiz at the end of the month.
Difficult to get, but mature cheddar made with unpasteurised milk is the best

Just out of idle curiosity, I googled, 'was Jimi Hendrix left handed' and this came up..

There may well be something in being ambidextrous. A lot of top sports people are able to play to a high level the 'other way round' to how they play Professionally.

I reckon there's a great deal of scope for flexibility and adaptability for us 'normal' folk also. Although you could argue the Saxophone is 'right handed' how right handed is it? How much of a benefit do right hookers have on the Sax? I certainly don't claim any :p
That left-hand pinky finger array sure ain’t right-hander friendly!

re-reading this thread about 'handedness' I am one of those people who is not ambidextrous, but is certainly 'mixed-handed'. For example, I write, use a cutting knife/blade, play racquet sports, bowl cricket balls left handed. But, if I were to bat in cricket/rounders, or play golf, or ten pin bowling, I'm right-handed. Some things I can do with either hand. I play all my instruments (including all the string instruments) 'conventionally'.

That left-hand pinky finger array sure ain’t right-hander friendly!
No, actually I sometimes think it's mainly right-handed players complaining about pinky table layouts. If only because it is a rarity for them to encounter something that's not geared to right-handedness.

I don't think doing something with your left hand is counted as 'left handedness', is it? It's not as though the left pinky (all being equal) doesn't have the same level of movement in a right handed person. It comes back to the sometimes extraordinary levels of left hand dexterity a 'right handed' guitarist needs to display on the fret board.

I guess some left hand pinky keys might be a little more cumbersome than others.

I think we left-handers naturally have more strength in our left hand, just like many right-handers seem to have most strength in their right hand.

I think we left-handers naturally have more strength in our left hand, just like many right-handers seem to have most strength in their right hand.

Nothing better then, for us with weak left hands, to give the left pinky a good workout..

I can see that RH/LH favouritism might come into it with guitar or a bowed instrument as on one hand the fingers are required to be independent and the other has more or a hand thing. With the sax the requirement of both hands/fingers is largely the same and piano completely so.

Pete is correct.. I am almost totaly left handed..Its great for sidecar racing with the normal UK lefthanded chair ..Thats why we were quick on lefthanders. (BTW early continental racing sidecars were on the right. As is my classic BMW one) When I started playing drums It never occured to me to put the drums to the right as is the norm and only discovered this when I tried to sit in for a right handed pal at a gig we were doing.. I find that there is indeed a difference when playing instruments. My left hand bass lines on piano are effortless but I really have to work at the righthand runs. Regarding sax. Well its all the same to me although the upper register and altissimos are fun (when I get it right!!)
Further, when I was in the forces I soon learnt that firing a normal rifle wasnt good for me as the cartridges fly into your face and hurt..Not a lot of people know that!!
Regards ...
BTW the avatar above is Fritz Shiedegger and John Robinson BMW. Left handed chair..

British sidecar is normally on left, at least on road.

Most people have a dominant hand, which usually defines their 'handedness'. The dominant hand is usually, but not always, more dexterous (even when sinister :)) and stronger.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not 'purely' left-handed but mixed to some extent. It explains a certain amount of clumsiness with ball games when I was younger as neither my right nor left eye would 'take charge' of decisions with respect to spatial awareness. It means there's more brain involvement in making such decisions. I compensate reasonably well for it, but it's one of many reasons why I'd never be able to play racquet sports to any high degree. Lack of talent is probably more significant...

I don't think it makes any difference either way: each hand and each finger has a specific job(s) to do and fairly rapidly learns it. I do remember, however, that the first time I picked up a clarinet my right (dominant) hand instantly went to the top joint keys and I had to be told to hold the thing the other way round. Once so informed, I don't recall any further difficulties except the usual ones of technique and embouchure, tone quality, intonation, taste, etc. etc., all of which still exercise me to this day!

Back
Top Bottom