support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Hard case for Yamaha YAS62

ChampagneBears

I’m not pleased with the case that my new Yamaha YAS62 came in. The zippers feel cheap; the case rocks back and forth (wobbles) when it’s open or closed - it can’t sit flat on the floor due to the zippers on the bottom. I much prefer the sturdy, old-fashioned hard cases with latches like my rental Yamaha YAS 26 came in. See here: Certified Pre-Owned Yamaha Standard Eb Alto Saxophone - YAS-26

Any idea if I can order one of those cases from Yamaha? Any other recommendations on a good, solid hard case? By the way, I don’t like BAM cases. I think they’re overpriced and too minimalist for my preferences. I like a bit of storage on the inside for reeds, swabs, grease, etc. I prefer rectangular cases, rather than shaped cases. Thanks!

Last edited:
You will be able to pick up a used older rectangle hard case on the 'bay' from time to time, I have seen plenty over the years. They aren't highly sought after even the ones for 62's so no ridiculous price ( well...maybe some as you can't stop some sharks). But I'd recommend treating yourself to a hiscox.
I have tried plenty but those things just do what they are supposed to very well.

You will be able to pick up a used older rectangle hard case on the 'bay' from time to time, I have seen plenty over the years. They aren't highly sought after even the ones for 62's so no ridiculous price ( well...maybe some as you can't stop some sharks). But I'd recommend treating yourself to a hiscox.
I have tried plenty but those things just do what they are supposed to very well.
Thanks! That’s definitely a contender as I’ve found a local shop that stocks it.

I’m not pleased with the case that my new Yamaha YAS62 came in. The zippers feel cheap; the case rocks back and forth (wobbles) when it’s open or closed - it can’t sit flat on the floor due to the zippers on the bottom. I much prefer the sturdy, old-fashioned hard cases with latches like my rental Yamaha YAS 26 came in. See here: Certified Pre-Owned Yamaha Standard Eb Alto Saxophone - YAS-26

Any idea if I can order one of those cases from Yamaha? Any other recommendations on a good, solid hard case? By the way, I don’t like BAM cases. I think they’re overpriced and too minimalist for my preferences. I like a bit of storage on the inside for reeds, swabs, grease, etc. I prefer rectangular cases, rather than shaped cases. Thanks!
BAM makes rectangular cases as well - with backpacking straps, if desired. Great prices at Matthews.

Yamaha 82Z/875EX alto case is part number ASC-820 if you wanted to try Yamaha for new case or search ebay/online.

Wow, that's a nice one! A bit masculine-looking but still, it's practically what I'm looking for. A little pricey though... but I'm gonna think about it for sure. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yamaha 82Z/875EX alto case is part number ASC-820 if you wanted to try Yamaha for new case or search ebay/online.

No, don't buy one of these. The vinyl covering comes off in spots/patches. I bought one for a tenner, but was aware of its poor reviews. They are the WORST of the Yamaha cases.

The shell cases tip up and have "hmmm... have they engaged" push/pull catches - avoid too.

The older brown or black ones like you've linked to in your opening post, are OK. See them often for £10-20 in good/excellent used condition. I see a tenor case for sale for £10 right now.

I bought new a YAS-280 backpack style one, for £30 off eBay, probably like the one you have now, for my SDA as I had one for my previous SDA and knew it fitted like a glove. Good zips, pocket for music storage, doesn't rock. Is yours the same kind?...

ACC392.jpg

Or... is yous like this one...

yamaha-yas62-alto-case-special-offer-36001614-600.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @DavidUK,

Thanks for your info.

The one I linked to in my opening post, I have it right now for my rental sax and I really like its functionality. No fuss. It just works well, no rocking, is sturdy, EXCEPT it’s not cool, as @Colin the Bear so rightly notes. It’s kind of ugly actually and will probably serve well as a theft deterrent. However, I think I prefer functionality over coolness at the moment.

The case that came with my 62 is neither of the cases you posted pics of, although I think they are very similar. If it has backpack straps, then it doesn’t lie fat and rocks.

I am out at the moment but when I get home, I’ll post a pic of it.

No, don't buy one of these. The vinyl covering comes off in spots/patches.
My 82Z soprano case leads a life of leisure (always at home) and I've had no issues. My 62 Tenor case is a soft case like OP's. I've considered upgrading to a hard case to better protect the sax. I may still consider an 82Z Tenor case.

Does the 82Z hard case vinyl tend to come off simply due to age or due to wear? That is, if my tenor case mostly journeys around the house and rarely leaves the house, should it stay in as new condition for many years?

Hi @DavidUK,

If it has backpack straps, then it doesn’t lie fat and rocks.

Here's the rear of my backpack case, straps are still tucked inside the double zip flap, never having been used since new perhaps...

20210103_110946.jpg

20210103_111004.jpg

If your straps are outside the flap and attached to the bottom "D" loops then inevitably the case will rock. If so, I'm sure you could return them to their original positioning inside the flap? As you can see below, this gives an almost flat case base when you have it laying on its back to open it...

20210103_111025.jpg

Does the 82Z hard case vinyl tend to come off simply due to age or due to wear? That is, if my tenor case mostly journeys around the house and rarely leaves the house, should it stay in as new condition for many years?

As the case came to me "spotty", that is to say it had several small holes in the outer layer akin to someone stubbing cigarettes out on it (maybe they did?) it's impossible for me to know how they occurred.

Here's one of the threads I found: Yamaha case problem

Hi @DavidUK, my case looks exactly like your case from the back, with the 2 D rings and zippers sticking out. It is the combination of those that make my case feel wobbly and unable to sit flat on the floor. My backpack straps are tucked perfectly inside. Even you say it is "almost flat" so it isn't completely flat. Being used to the old-style hard case of the YAS26, which is completely SOLIDLY flat on the floor, perhaps I am particularly sensitive that the YAS62 case is not as flat. Because it is a bit wobbly, when I open the case, the lid has enough wobbly movement back and forth that it is irritating (to me). It might be a situation where you see it as ok, but I'm nitpicky and I find it irritating. Perhaps I am the princess in the Princess and the Pea. ;)

BTW, I like the handles on your case much better.

Ok, here's the front and back of my case. You can see in the back pic, the straps are a bit bulgy, which contributes to its wobble.

Front.jpg
Back 2.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like if you're carrying so much stuff you've got to put an alto on your back, you probably need to be using a two-wheeled dolly instead.