support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Cons of unlacquered sax

Here's my Amati, its 60 years old but was only stripped about seven years ago. It's never been cleaned other than a quick dust every now and then.

View attachment 14704View attachment 14705

Beautiful. I hope I'll achieve a similar result, but I keep finding spots of lacquer or oxydation or different levels of brushing... It feels like a never-ending thing. But I'm not yet ready to stop!

I found an old piece of polishing cloth that works well, except it ruined my new pair of Jeans! o_O

Ok, I should not polish with a new pair of jeans... I do it whenever I find a few minutes near the horn, so s#&% happens!

I considered trying to age the result artificially, but I think I'll leave it alone. I couldn't find any convincing method to obtain what I have in mind. I'll just apply some auto wax I have to protect it. We'll see how it goes...

When you change the finish on a saxophone it is never finished. :) You just have to decide when to quit.

First I stripped all the key work as I wanted to keep that in the silver finish, then I painted Nitromors general paint and varnish stripper (green tin) all over the sax and popped it into a dustbin bag to keep the fumes to a minimum and also to help concentrate the effects of the stripper (no scientific evidence that this actually helps) I left it overnight and then washed it using a stiff brush sh to help remove the lacquer. Any stubborn bits got a second dose. Once the lacquer was off, then came the hard bit. I used “”Finishing Scotch Pads” these are used in the car body repair industry to get the final finish on paint before it’s polished. I found the “Grey” (Finest grade) to be perfect for removing any last stubborn areas of paint, I then gave it a good clean with a household furniture polish and rebuilt it. It has NEVER had any further products applied. The only thing I do, is to give her an occasional dusting.
i didn’t strip her because I thought it would alter the sound because it hasn’t. I stripped her because she looked a mess, lots of scratches and missing lacquer. Removing, cleaning, oiling and replacing the key work has made her very playable though!
I have to add, I was VERY tempted to give her a mat lacquer coat to preserve the brushed bare brass finish. I have another sax in bits (as it has been for about 10 years, that I'm quite tempted to do this to! If I ever get it finished Ill post some more pictures...... just don't hold your breath! :rofl:

Last edited:
Before
P4040102_zps185ecc03.jpg
P4040105_zps6c27f354.jpg

That looks really good @Taz I'm not in general a fan of the un-lacquered look, but I think the Silver Keywork adds an extra dimension.

The major con of my Signature Custom Tenor (my main gigging sax) is folks asking- “Your sax looks great- is it really old?”. At which point I respond “Er- no it’s a modern one, it just has a finish that makes it look really old”… “Oh..” .I always feel a bit of a fraud at that point!

The older you get the newer old things seem. 1980 is 40 years ago. I would think the Amati/Corton tenor is about that. Innit?

Nice looking finish Taz. I've just bought same sax at an auction. It looks like your before pic's, so I'll be trying your finish out on it when I get it. Are the finishing scotch pads used dry or wet. Never heard of them before?

just looked, at pads...of course I know what they are. For some reason I thought it was something totally different. Ordering some now.

Back
Top Bottom