Photo contest

Saxophones Difference Between TJ Raw and TJ Unlacquered?

That's a weird one to be honest. The main picture (top) shows a RAW (I've got that one) and the bottom ones seem to show a different version altogether. The bottom ones seems to show different engraving on the bell. The case is different. It's absurdly cheap as well. Something's odd.

If you type TJ-37C in to Google there seem to be a lot of these Signature Custom models for €1000 so I don't think it is a scam but I have no idea what makes them so much cheaper.

There are four Signature Customs, V1 with Graffiti Writing - V2 with more normal writing but according to TJ, the change which made the horn what is was at version 3 which compared to the current model as Prof says has different engraving - it also had TJ on the bell brace instead of SC and a few other cosmetic diffs ..... V4 is the current one with RAW on the front and when the choice of a BIG BELL came in ..

I`d probably take an SR over the 1st two versions as it`s based on the current V4 SC design but a used V3 could be a real bargain being mostly only cosmetically different to the new one (and that there`s no big bell version) ..

it`s on the front of the bell to Bow Join collar where Selmer put MkVI .. if it`s a TJ Sig Custom and not got RAW on it could be a V3 - look for TJ on the thumbrest and bell brace

Would you say this was the latest version?

photo.php
RAW.JPG

the prob is that he needs to confirm exactly what`s for sale there, the pics all contradict each other and are stock images , he needs to contact the seller for pics of the actual horn to determine which revision it is . I`ve a funny feeling it`ll be an old Graffiti model going by someone else who enquired from the same seller

Sorry just to be clear the pic above is from a second hand one I am interested in buying, I was also just sent a pic of the band which says Raw and the neck also has it stamped. The person selling says he spoke to TJ and they say that the Acorn leaves depict the latest version V4. This other £750 ish Signature Custom model TJ-37C-?? model in my link is strange as it looks like it can be purchased from a number of different outlets and it would be interesting to know what that is all about.

For now I think I am happy to purchase this second hand big bell RAW but am now having issues with how to go about this. The seller doesn't want to use Paypal as he says the purchaser can request their money back and I certainly don't want to do a bank transfer as I am not covered. It is 250 miles from me. Any suggestions other than travel?

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-17_14-54-14.png
    upload_2015-2-17_14-54-14.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 181
  • upload_2015-2-17_14-55-24.png
    upload_2015-2-17_14-55-24.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 174
It`d have to be a fantastic deal to be worth even meeting half way with all the hassle and Fuel - it`s still a 250 mile round trip ..

V3s had acorn leaves on too like the one here (they`re not depicted in these photos but they sent me the full set of images and it has acorn leaves + TJ logos on Bell brace & thumbrest = V3 and the different engraving Prof was on about

http://www.ukhorns.co.uk/alto-sax/4586513957

It's a pretty good deal and I think I would be happy with V3 or 4 but like you say Ads 250 miles is still a lot of time and fuel. The company I work for has an office in Manchester which he seems willing to go to but I don't know how I feel about asking someone to get the money out of their bank and do the deal for me..

What is the guys rating history on eBay? Mine is 100% but also I have taken a leap of faith every now and again and done a money transfer. Also get the seller to send an invoice to you via eBay. When you pay by bank transfer it is also recorded for any future legal necessities. This is just normal when buying horns!

If it helps you there is another forum member who has just spent the same amount of money on a Step STS 700 tenor to be delivered from the USA to the middle east! Makes Manchester look positively next door!

Back
Top Bottom