SYOS

Saxophones Trevor james custom

andyjb

Hi everyone,

Can anyone let me know the difference between the Trevor James signature custom and custom raw? I know the raw has great reviews but have found nothing on the signature custom which I think was it's predecessor. Is it considered an intermediate or pro sax - good for a relative beginner?

Thanks again,

Andy

Alphorn

The custom raw is in full name signature custom raw. The signature custom was available in different finishes in the beginning eg lacquered, silver and raw. Now it seems only raw and raw xs finishes are on offer. However, there was a forerunner model also called signature custom. They can easily be distinguished by the embossed logo on the bell. Current model: SC; forerunner: jjj. I was offered a jjj model and contacted Trevor James about the differences to the SC model. They said the jjj is comparable to their current SR model which is an intermediate horn. Look out for the SC logo and you will be on the safe side.

Alphorn

Alphorn

Forgot to mention. There was also a prior signature custom model that had Signature Custom on the bell in a weired writing. Don't know what pills marketing was taking when they selected the logo.

Alphorn

Alphorn

You are right it is tjj and not jjj. There is one, tenor, on ebay UK right now.
The weird writing is signature custom and looks like grafitti style. Different to the signature series.

Alphorn

OP
andyjb

andyjb

That's the one. I spoke to Trevor James supplier today who tell me that when sold all the signature custom models were considered to be pro level models - I guess the design changes but the target market remains the same. Would they be ok for a relative beginner?

Stephen Howard

The custom raw is in full name signature custom raw. The signature custom was available in different finishes in the beginning eg lacquered, silver and raw. Now it seems only raw and raw xs finishes are on offer. However, there was a forerunner model also called signature custom. They can easily be distinguished by the embossed logo on the bell. Current model: SC; forerunner: jjj. I was offered a jjj model and contacted Trevor James about the differences to the SC model. They said the jjj is comparable to their current SR model which is an intermediate horn. Look out for the SC logo and you will be on the safe side.

Alphorn
I saw and tried a lacquered bronze bodied RAW a couple of weeks ago. It's a new addition to the range...and very nice it is too.

Stephen Howard

As far as I know they're still making the alternative finish models - but these will be under the Signature Custom (SC) banner rather than the RAW (which relates to the absence of lacquer/plating).

Top Bottom