support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones TJ custom signature lacquered tenor

StockholmSax

Hi folks, would like opinions on this sax. Heard loads of talk of the raw model but not so much about the laquered.
Anyway I currently have a yts 25 and Gear4music tenor. Both play well.
I have the chance to pick up a 13 year old good condition tj custom signature tenor for about a grand.
Cheap.? Thoughts.?

It's a decent horn - but it's different from the lacquered version of the TJ RAW. Doesn't quite have the same 'verve' in playing - but it's definitely a good all-rounder.

Sorry, I read your reply again.
How can a custom signature "Raw " have a laquuered version?
Raw means raw. No laquuer etc.
Probably because I told them that a significant number of players quite liked the way the RAW played, but wouldn't buy an unlacquered horn under any circumstances. I doubt I was alone in passing along such feedback.
If I didn't already have an unlacquered one I would have gone for the lacquered version. Plays exactly the same.

Probably because I told them that a significant number of players quite liked the way the RAW played, but wouldn't buy an unlacquered horn under any circumstances. I doubt I was alone in passing along such feedback.
If I didn't already have an unlacquered one I would have gone for the lacquered version. Plays exactly the same.
Thanks for your help steven
Thanks for your help Stephen. You're always a helpful chap.

Oh by the way, I do all my own saxophone maintenance thanks to some fabulous guidance from your book. Could not have done it without that book. Has saved me buckets of money over the years.

I've have seen that sax. Probably a good player. But you can have a YTS 62 if you pay 8' more. IMO a good used YTS 62 is a better than used tj.j Signature Custom. A scottish woman that lived her in Skåne used to come to our rocksax meetings and workshhops. She played a cool tj.j sax. A "rosenpolerad" tenor sax. A cool sax needed some adjustments as well. The low C# was a problem. A tech could fix that but we just helped her to gte the sas playable. But we So sad she moved back to Scotland. She is a nice person and a good player.

I also have a G4M tenor double arms on low C, C# and B keys. They say it a Yani copy. Not a bad horn. I bought mine for c 2500. 00 s e k for three years ago. I wanted a sax that is more friendly to my body. But it needs some adjustments and I also want to play my ordinary mouthpices on the G4M. Maybe it should be open up. A used YTS 23, 25, 275 280 use to go for 8000.00 -12 000 s e k. A service/adjustments on my G4M is probley less money. I looked at palm keys pads and I found this. But it can't cost more than 3'-4' to make my G4M a better player?
g4mdkey.JPG
gear4music.JPG
But it can't cost more than 3'-4' to make my G4M a better player? You already have two good saxes so I wouldn't spend time and money on the tj.j. But I would consider good used YTS 62.

I tried out TJ Raw and Signature laquuuered a while ago

I preferred the shiny one which played beautifully. But the difference may have been the set up of these two examples rather than a general rule

Are you sure it's a Custom Signature and not just a Signature? I don't recall the Custom models being as old as 13 years?
If it has just Signature on the bell it's likely the older model. Your Yamaha should blow that one away. Nor worth a grand, maybe £400-500.
Post photos of bell logo please.

Are you sure it's a Custom Signature and not just a Signature? I don't recall the Custom models being as old as 13 years?
If it has just Signature on the bell it's likely the older model. Your Yamaha should blow that one away. Nor worth a grand, maybe £400-500.
Post photos of bell logo please.
There was a Signature Custom model around then, though it was a completely different instrument to what is currently in production. Confusing- yes (lack of imagination in naming conventions?).

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom